Pocket Carry and rule # ?

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry and rule # ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - Ok so I am looking to buy a pocket pistol in 9mm - liking the P290rs - I note it weighs about the same ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry and rule # ?

Pocket Carry and rule # ?

- Ok so I am looking to buy a pocket pistol in 9mm

- liking the P290rs

- I note it weighs about the same as a Glock 26

- Hence I place a Unloaded Glock 26 in my front pocket for a couple of days around the house to see what it would be like having that kind of weight riding in my front pocket

Weird thing I notice is that every time I sit down - my pistol is pointing across the room. Sometimes at family members. It's an unloaded gun but it's a weird feeling.

I don't know what rule # it is, or what list it's on - but I do know one of "the rules" is to not point any firearm at something you don't want to fire at. Kind of impossible if you pocket carry and sit down across from anyone though.

Am I being a tool thinking this way? Is this one of those whatever you are comfortable with things? I mean I know guns don't shoot themselves, but does it weird any of you out sitting across a table from family or friends knowing you have a loaded weapon in your pocket pointing at them?

I just got to thinking about it... any insights?

Thanks gents.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You have just listed several reasons which explain why I never pocket carry. Insights? Get a decent belt and holster.
    drift and .45acpguy like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You have just listed several reasons which explain why I never pocket carry. Insights? Get a decent belt and holster.
    Thanks for the reply Mike - the thought of pocket carry on so many levels "worked" for me until I got to trying it... And then, well, it just hadn't dawned on me that i would be pointing it at everything across from me when I sat down. I wasn't sure if I had missed something or not.

There was a thread here a while back about a man who was pocket carrying at a restaurant while out with his wife. He reached into his pocket for something, and ended up discharging his pistol, which shot his wife. I believe it was a minor wound. In my opinion, thats not a good reason to not pocket carry, but there are other things you can learn from it to make sure that you can pocket carry safely. If you're going to pocket carry, USE A HOLSTER MADE FOR POCKET CARRY, and DON'T PUT ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL IN THAT POCKET WITH THE GUN. The only reason you should reach into that pocket is because you need to draw your gun for your protection.

That all being said, in my opinion there are several good reasons to NOT pocket carry. But hey, if you're going to do it, at least do it right. Do it smartly, and responsibly.
    drift, niks, phreddy and 2 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

You really can find a small enough IWB holster for small guns so you don't really "need" to pocket carry IMO.
    drift likes this.

VIP Member
    First, for pocket carry I have a revolver, and for the reasons set forth below I do pocket carry. I do not think, however, I would pocket carry with a semi-auto. That's just me.

There are variations of the "rules," one of which is listed in my sig block.

The rules promote the conduct of handling firearms in a safe manner. Following these rules minimizes the likelihood of negligent discharges and unintended injury and death. In other words, if you follow the rules you will not be "playing" with a gun in a foolhardy manner and shooting holes in your walls. So yes, you are correct, you may violate a "rule" if you pocket carry, but you are not violating the underlying mindset of handling the gun in a safe manner.

If you use a pocket holster, the trigger will be covered. And, hopefully, your finger will be off it. And doubly hopefully there is nothing else in your pocket but the gun and holster. Keys are a big no-no to slip in on top of you pocket holstered gun.

If you use a revolver like I do, it's darn difficult to pull a trigger when holstered because the friction on the cylinder makes pulling back the trigger even more difficult. So I do pocket carry with a revolver. But I don't think I'd do it with a semi.

As least if you have an IWB or OWB holster, the only thing you'll muzzle is the surface of your butt cheek (and no, I don't appendix carry. Tried it once and can't do it).
    drift and BigJon10125 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

If you use a revolver like I do, it's darn difficult to pull a trigger when holstered because the friction on the cylinder makes pulling back the trigger even more difficult. So I do pocket carry with a revolver. But I don't think I'd do it with a semi.
    I see what you are saying with respect to your entire post. Thank you.

I'll say this though, with respect to the revolver thing. With a hammer fired pistol, it is very easy (if you practice) to draw with your thumb on the hammer out of a holster. This is very reassuring as your thumb will instantly tell you what your pistol is doing. I have become rather good at drawing that way, and it's one of the reasons I am so drawn to hammer fired pistols.

Of course I don't know how easy that would be to do with a pocket gun that is holstered... should be the same I would imagine.

I pocket carried a Sig P250 somewhat because I didn't wanna spend $150 on a custom holster, as no big name holster maker makes a 250 model, but mostly because its comforting to be able to keep a hand on your pistol without sticking it down the back of your pants or through your jacket. I made sure that none of my pants pockets are loose enough to be able to pull the trigger, which is very long, if they are rubbed against anything. Even tried pulling it with my finger through the cloth. I also practice to only draw the gun with my trigger finger behind the trigger. It hides pretty well, but I'd rather have a pocket holster to conceal it better. Also a heck of a fast draw method. Shortest draw/fire on the timer was ~.20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by myrkr View Post
    I pocket carried a Sig P250 somewhat because I didn't wanna spend $150 on a custom holster, as no big name holster maker makes a 250 model, but mostly because its comforting to be able to keep a hand on your pistol without sticking it down the back of your pants or through your jacket. I made sure that none of my pants pockets are loose enough to be able to pull the trigger, which is very long, if they are rubbed against anything. Even tried pulling it with my finger through the cloth. I also practice to only draw the gun with my trigger finger behind the trigger. It hides pretty well, but I'd rather have a pocket holster to conceal it better. Also a heck of a fast draw method. Shortest draw/fire on the timer was ~.20 seconds.
    If all you want is it to conceal better - take off pants - pull pants inside out - affix a piece of leather/plastic or what-have-you to the outside of the pocket between it and your pants. Balm! Bob's your uncle.

VIP Member
    A couple of notes. Pocket carry had nothing to do with the accidental discharge previously mentioned. Don't touch the gun, the gun no go bang.

I pocket carry 80 percent of the time and ankle the other 20 percent. The rules for safe pocket carry are simple. Use a good quality holster that covers the trigger. Keep nothing else in the pocket with the gun. No keys, no change, nothing. It bears repeating. Use a holster and KEEP NOTHING ELSE in the pocket with the gun.

As far as pointing at something when sitting down, so what. If the hand is not on the gun it is not an issue. Ever thought about walking up and down stairs with a side holster? That muzzle may be pointed down at some's head. Keep your hand off the firearm and it will not be an issue.

Pocket carry has an overwhelming tactical advantage over other carry methods. The carriers hand may be on the gun without anyone being the wiser in condition yellow scenarios. Case in point, I was approached by a panhandler last week. I spotted the man who was much larger than I focused on me and closing the gap outside the grocery store. I changed direction and so did he. My hand slid into my pocket unnoticed and casual. I stopped short and kept the shopping cart between us letting him come to me. A short, firm, but polite exchange ended uneventfully. But I was ready and no one the wiser. Try doing that with other carry methods.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    There was a thread here a while back about a man who was pocket carrying at a restaurant while out with his wife. He reached into his pocket for something, and ended up discharging his pistol, which shot his wife. I believe it was a minor wound. In my opinion, thats not a good reason to not pocket carry.....
    It's not??? Sounds like a perfect reason to me.

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post
    If the story is true, it sounds as if the guy had the gun in his pocket by itself and not in a holster- and, something else in the pocket. As mentioned, all bad mistakes. If done properly, pocket carry can be as safe as any other carry method.

I adhere to the school of thought that a gun while holstered properly and not held in the hand, is not being pointed. The muzzle is directed as per holster position, but this is a far different situation than the gun in the hand.

The same logic applies to long guns in gun racks while in a vehicle driving down the road- is the gun being pointed at everything along the way? Not in my opinion.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by idodishez View Post

There was an incident last year where a woman hugged an off-duty cop and his holstered weapon accidentally discharged and killed her. Is that a good reason not to holster a weapon?

Also, I am offended by your intentionally blank space...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    There was an incident last year where a woman hugged an off-duty cop and his holstered weapon accidentally discharged and killed her. Is that a good reason not to holster a weapon?
    There was also a good deal of speculation that the story as reported was not actually what occurred.
    drift likes this.

I saw that story. Something besides a "hug" had to have been going on

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links