After the Shot

After the Shot

This is a discussion on After the Shot within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been doing a lot of reading about after the shot when you had to use your weapon to protect yourself. Some of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: After the Shot

After the Shot

I have been doing a lot of reading about after the shot when you had to use your weapon to protect yourself. Some of the info said to talk very little to the Officer on scene. The info said to point out witness, and then shut your mouth and call a lawyer. I was just wondering would it be a good idea to find a lawyer who you could call before any of this could happen. What are your plans after the shot?

Do it exactly as Mas said to...............

I'm not a lawyer not have I stayed in a cheap motel lately, so "grain of salt"!

"Ideally" you'd have your attorney on retainer long before any incident. It's not an ideal world though. So retaining an attorney as soon as possible after something happens should be your number one goal.

A few years ago, the advice (solid then) was to say NOTHING except the word "lawyer". Now CCW is more and more becoming the norm. 49 states have some form or another, and the average patrol officer is more likely to be aware of it ;)

So the advice has "morphed" into that of saying "I was forced to defend myself / fire, I would like to consult my lawyer before making a statement."

There are a couple schools of thought here. Being that CCW is more prevalent, and if that specific situation is very cut and dry, you may not ever wear the silver bracelets. You'll be questioned for sure but I have heard the stories of clear home defense cases where the homeowner never sees the back of a police car.

In situations "out on the street" and where the circumstances may be unclear to the officers, expect to be arrested. (Arrest doesn't mean you'll for certain be charged with a crime either).

So the sooner you get your own lawyer the better, hopefully you can find a good one to put on retainer before anything happens. I'm been looking for a good one myself for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ccw9mm likes this.

I have no experience here either...but from what was suggested in my CCW class, is to contact a PRO 2A lawyer and get him/her on retainer ASAP. It was also suggested, that after the shot, you tell the officer(s) that you will only speak to YOUR lawyer, not A lawyer. 2:30am after the incident is not the time to begin looking for a lawyer to defend you.

That said, I have yet to secure my pro 2A lawyer.
    I am taking it seriously though and am looking for one while my CCW paperwork is being done.

I just recently took my CCW class and as part of it they had a guy come in and talk to us about Texas Law Shield. They are in other states as well and also other similar firms like this one. This firm only handles firearms related clients. I never heard of them before the class and have since researched such defense groups. There seems to be several out there and I guess it's like car insurance, you have it and hope you never need to use it. Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there since this sounds like what you are looking for.

I've kind of wondered on these forums why there isn't a special section dedicated to Pro 2A lawyers.
    Kind of a state by state heads up on good legal contacts.
    I've always thought a section like that would generate a lot of interest.

Distinguished Member
    I have an attorney who did my will and helped me with a property dispute a while back. He was pretty good (and I work with a lot of attorney so I have some idea what talent looks like). He told me that if I ever needed him, to call. That has been my plan, although now that you bring it up, I suppose I should take an opportunity to discuss this particular scenario with him BEFORE anything ever happens just so I understand how he would handle it.

I hope and pray I never need him for anything like this!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I have an attorney who did my will and helped me with a property dispute a while back. He was pretty good ... He told me that if I ever needed him, to call.

I suppose I should take an opportunity to discuss this particular scenario with him BEFORE anything ever happens just so I understand how he would handle it.
    Suggestion: find a competent attorney who is both well-versed in the field of defending the self-defense criminal case as well as successful in defending them. A "property" guy might be all well and good for property, but if you've been arrested for manslaughter or worse then you need a bit more "oomph" in the defending-the-SD-case area of the pool. Same as how you'd prefer to have a bit more horsepower than any old public defender who gets tossed the case. If that happens to be your "property" attorney, fantastic; consider it a great two-for-one discount of sorts. Otherwise ...
    RickyD, 84160, Taurahe and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am a new CCW owner. I do now remember that my CCW instructor mention that he had a list of good lawyers to contact. I will be sending him an e mail. Hopefully I will never have to use one.

Im sure there are those of us out here in no mans land on fixed incomes that honestly cant afford to retain a lawyer on the chance we shoot someone in SD. There are a lot of horror stories out there but from what I can tell they either stemmed from a questionable grounds to shoot or a shooter that after stating the facts wouldnt shut up and got caught up in embellishment. Thereby shooting his own credibility as well. By all means if one is arrested one needs a lawyer.

However I know personally that I cant afford to just keep one on call. If its a good shoot you may well go home to supper after some questions also.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Rather lengthy but worth it....
    Dont Talk to Police - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

After the video it seems Officer I shot in self defense in fear of my life.. I want my lawyer is end of discussion LOL
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Cheef View Post
    I've kind of wondered on these forums why there isn't a special section dedicated to Pro 2A lawyers.
    Kind of a state by state heads up on good legal contacts.
    I've always thought a section like that would generate a lot of interest.
    Fortunately incidents are few and far between and a dedicated section would get very few posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I have an attorney who did my will and helped me with a property dispute a while back. He was pretty good (and I work with a lot of attorney so I have some idea what talent looks like). He told me that if I ever needed him, to call. That has been my plan, although now that you bring it up, I suppose I should take an opportunity to discuss this particular scenario with him BEFORE anything ever happens just so I understand how he would handle it.

I hope and pray I never need him for anything like this!
    Property Disputes do not typically involve the firing of a deadly weapon. My advice would be to definitely talk with him to make sure he is up to the task, or ask him for a possible referral.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

My best friend is a criminal defense attorney and he says say nothing just be polite and let the officer know where the gun is right away and ask if you can call your attorney. Remember LEOs use council on their cases as well and he said they understand that you will want to talk with an attorney. You do have the right to say NOTHING.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links