real quick question . . .

This is a discussion on real quick question . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am workin at the mall today and there is kinda a lot of people here. (not like normal) so i have a straight view ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: real quick question . . .

real quick question . . .

i am workin at the mall today and there is kinda a lot of people here. (not like normal) so i have a straight view of everyone walkin my way. in order for them to go to the food court and a couple stores they have to turn right (my left if i am lookin at them). it seems to me that everyone that is turnin, turns real close to the corner of the wall. (in this case it is the corner of kays jewelers) they turn so close that their clothes sometimes touch the wall and some people even straight out hit the wall with their right shoulder. my question is why do u think some many peoples minds are set to walk that close to the corner? it just may be me being bored.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Poor navigational skills ?

Not sure why in fact - but the average folks in a mall are not easy to understand, as they are probably con white and I wonder sometimes if they even know where they are headed!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Actually, P95, I don't think you are too far off base.

Having watched the 'living zombies' for many hours myself, I do believe that most of those people you see are really just using that wall as their guide / path to where they are going. It requires less brain power to follow the arrow (or the wall) than it does to actively watch where they are going.

Ever wonder why a LARGE majority of the people walking through the center of a mall almost ALWAYS walk on the right side? Are there traffic laws inside the mall? Of course there aren't. It's just easier to follow the crowd than not to.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Assistant Administrator
    Ever wonder why a LARGE majority of the people walking through the center of a mall almost ALWAYS walk on the right side?
    Actually I do!!!

Reason??? - it gives less chance for passing blundering folks to bump into the lump of metal on my right hip
    Chris - P95

Well...

tend to herd and follow the fence line...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stick with the Herd!!

You guys are right - most people have absolutely no ability (or desire for that matter) to think on their own. I swear sometimes if there was an open chasm in the mall that people were falling into the rest of the crowd would follow convincing each other this must just be a "new store or something . . . "

Truly saddening to watch the progression of our race!

Sometimes I can hardly stand to go to the mall and watch the sheeple realizing that my beagle would best most of them in a match of wits!

carry safe (and don't follow the rest of the lemmings off the cliff),

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Maybe they aren't sheep. Perhaps they're more like pronghorn antelope. They tend to run along fences and crash into them a lot.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    So they do not run in to some idiot walking the wrong way on the wrong side of the passage way.

DC Founder
    Ricardo, check your PM....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    So they do not run in to some idiot walking the wrong way on the wrong side of the passage way.
    +1 to that. I've always been of the opinion that it's a sort of general rule to walk on the right-hand side of anything that has two-way traffic, whether it be a corridor, staircase or hallway. As for the original question, I personally would cut a turn closely (hopefully not so that I hit the wall! ) just to maximize my step efficiency. I don't particularly like being in those swarms of human meat and want to get into and out of whatever shop I'm in there for as quickly as possible. They might infect me with something!

Back in my days in the Infantry we were repeatedly in training to spread out. It's a natural inclination of humans to group together for security. Also during my time as an MP, they told us in school to stay out of the center of the hallway to avoid the fatal funnel. You would see everyone walking literally against the wall. Then in SRT they told us to walk down the center of the hallway because bullets travel along walls, increases view etc. Being a nurse I've found that the most comforting thing I can do for my patients is to use the "thearaputic touch", for me this is just to lay my palm on the forearm or shoulder of my patient and remeind them that I'm there to help. The bottom line of all this rambling is that humans need contact for comfort. It's a security thing which is one of the basic human needs. Thats why you see the people brushing the corner in the mall. It's a comfort thing.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

i also try to stay on the right side while pushing a cart in the supermarket because i've found that people push carts about like they drive.

Pedestrians behave like cars on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ573 View Post
    Ever wonder why a LARGE majority of the people walking through the center of a mall almost ALWAYS walk on the right side? Are there traffic laws inside the mall?
    I think people walk on the right side because in the US we drive on the right side of a two lane road. It has become accepted practice to walk the same way.

I visited Japan one time, where they drive on the left side of the road, and the cars have steering wheels on the right side of the front seat. When walking down the sidewalk the Japanese people tend to walk on the left side as well. I kept running into people, because I was walking on the right side of the sidewalk, like I do in the US. Once I figured out what was happening, I switched sides.

And this is gun related, how?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Assistant Administrator
    And this is gun related, how?
    Loose maybe but, studies of people - sheep in particular - can still be releveant to those of us who carry. IMO.

It might even make us consider our own behavior in such places.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links