Tennessee permit question

This is a discussion on Tennessee permit question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have told my tale of woe on here a number of times in other posts, but this time I have a question. If I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tennessee permit question

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar

Tennessee permit question

I have told my tale of woe on here a number of times in other posts, but this time I have a question. If I read the statute correctly, the state of Tennessee "shall issue" a permit within 90 days of receiving the application.

I submitted mine on Dec 27, 2012. After two failed fingerprinting sessions, I called again today and was told to check back in a week to 10 days, that I am going through the background check. Even assuming that it took two days to go from Memphis to Nashville, that's Dec 29th. That means that this Wednesday is 90 days.

Should I call and remind them that it is 90 days by statute?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Was the 27th of December the day you mailed that complete application with the good fingerprints? I would expect they will use the date that they have everything needed to start the clock, and I can't see a court disagreeing.

I believe I would wait the 10 days and see if things are progressing. You have more to lose by ticking them off than you do by being a nice guy.

I had to change my address with SLED while my application was in Columbia. I was very thankful that I did not get sent to the back of the line. It still took about 93 days after my check was cashed by SLED for my permit to be issued. The waiting was ahrd, but once you have it, you have it.

Actually you don't mail it in. You go to the DMV and they process all the paperwork except the fingerprints. I did that on Dec 26th. I did the prints on the 27th and they are submitted digitally, so the 2 days I gave to get from Memphis to Nashville really isn't necessary since everything is submitted digitally. I just thought I would be a nice guy for a change and allot 2 days.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member
    I have learned the hard way not to tick off bureaucrats. They can make your life get very hard with little to no repercussions to themsleves. Waiting 10 more days is a lot less painfull than starting over.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The other 94 Tennessee counties' HCP applications are processed in Nashville. Shelby County's are processed in Memphis.

90 days is the longest I've heard of one taking. My mother's got delayed because of poor fingerprinting as well.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

The number I called was in Nashville. That is the first I have heard about processing in Memphis, but considering the state of the gov't here, that would explain a lot.

Phreddy, I guess you could say I am a bureaucrat. I work for the Feds. That said, I try to run my office like a business. The customer may not always be right but deserves the utmost respect in my dealings with him/her. I watch every penny that is spent from my office like it was my own, because I am a taxpayer and it is.

Not to peeve someone off is not my style. I do my job to the utmost of my ability and expect everyone that works for me to do the same. I don't put out second rate work. My shop has an excellent reputation among the agencies that we serve and I expect and should receive the same level of service from the bureacrats with whom I have to deal.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Never heard of it happening but if they do have to issue you a permit to meet the 90 day limit it will be provided you uitimately qualify for a permit.. If your background check keeps you from obtaining a permit the Dept of Safety will come get the permit back. If your fingerprints can't be read they will advise you to get it redone, probably in so many days, or they come and take the permit from you. The 90 day limit is no free ride just a safety the legislature put in the law to keep DOS from foot draggiung.
    There isn't a wall high enough to stop illegal immigrants when the reward on the other side is free health care, jobs, driver's licenses and free college tuition subsidized by American taxpayers.

Well, I am not worried about my background check. I just got my security clearance upgraded at work. Part of getting the security clearance is running my fingerprints through the FBI and TBI. They were run sometime in the last 6 weeks. If DOS can't run them, that is their problem, not mine.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Phreddy, I guess you could say I am a bureaucrat. I work for the Feds. That said, I try to run my office like a business. The customer may not always be right but deserves the utmost respect in my dealings with him/her. I watch every penny that is spent from my office like it was my own, because I am a taxpayer and it is.
    That is awesome. I wish all were like you. I have dealt with some wonderful bureacrats and I have dealt with some that left a lot to be desired. The few that left me wanting generally were on power trips and if you did not see things their way, they would use the power they had to make you suffer. I usually try to treat all people the way I want to be treated, but my most recent encounters with out of control bureaucrats have made that very difficult.
    lionround likes this.

Sounds as if you are very unhappy with TN. Why don't you request a transfer to a more civilized part of the country? As good as you say you are there must be many places in need of your skill set with a much greater population density. There your efficiency will be will be honored with privileged status by a more sophisticated population base as concerns any law that you have difficulty with.

It will be a struggle without ya but I think us old boys down here in TN can make it. So when the 90 days are up just carry. I am sure "you" can handle any officer on the street and in form him or her how poorly their employer administers the law.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Sounds as if you are very unhappy with TN. Why don't you request a transfer to a more civilized part of the country? As good as you say you are there must be many places in need of your skill set with a much greater population density. There your efficiency will be will be honored with privileged status by a more sophisticated population base as concerns any law that you have difficulty with.

It will be a struggle without ya but I think us old boys down here in TN can make it. So when the 90 days are up just carry. I am sure "you" can handle any officer on the street and in form him or her how poorly their employer administers the law.
    Well, that was a little terse at best. FYI, I was self employed for almost 20 years doing what I do now only for civil attorneys. I decided that I wanted my life to have some meaning and so I went to work for an agency that puts away really BGs. Yes, I am good at what I do and my services would be in demand if I chose to work outside of the Federal government. As it turns out, I teach a lot of younger folks how to do what I do so maybe they can be better at their jobs too.

I never once indicated that I would carry without my permit. You intimated that in your post and no one else. I am so glad that I have your permission. I am sure that carries the weight of law.

However, the statute says "v) All handgun carry permit applications properly filed according to the procedure in effect immediately prior to the effective date of this act shall be acted upon by the department in accordance with the procedure established by this subsection. Within thirty (30) days from the effective date of this act, the department shall issue a handgun carry permit, subject to later suspension or revocation as provided in � 39-17-1352, to all applicants whose: ...

(2) Applications have been pending for at least ninety (90) days; and"

So, I don't feel that I am trying to tell them how to do their jobs. The legislature did that already. All I am asking is that they follow the law as written. If I were to violate any of those laws, I can assure you it would not take them 90 days to act on my violation.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

However, the statute says "v) All handgun carry permit applications properly filed according to the procedure in effect immediately prior to the effective date of this act shall be acted upon by the department in accordance with the procedure established by this subsection. Within thirty (30) days from the effective date of this act, the department shall issue a handgun carry permit, subject to later suspension or revocation as provided in � 39-17-1352, to all applicants whose: ...

(2) Applications have been pending for at least ninety (90) days; and"

So, I don't feel that I am trying to tell them how to do their jobs. The legislature did that already. All I am asking is that they follow the law as written. If I were to violate any of those laws, I can assure you it would not take them 90 days to act on my violation.
    I am with you, Lion. I have been 90 days today. I called and mine has been issued, I haven't received it yet though.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcu316 View Post
    I am with you, Lion. I have been 90 days today. I called and mine has been issued, I haven't received it yet though.
    SC has done the same thing in the past when they were inundated with permit applications. They issue on the 90th day. It can take a few more days for you to receive it.

Probably about 2 weeks....

The number I called was in Nashville. That is the first I have heard about processing in Memphis, but considering the state of the gov't here, that would explain a lot.

Not to peeve someone off is not my style. I do my job to the utmost of my ability and expect everyone that works for me to do the same. I don't put out second rate work. My shop has an excellent reputation among the agencies that we serve and I expect and should receive the same level of service from the bureacrats with whom I have to deal.
    It's nice to hear for a change that an agency of the Government conducts it's business as tho it were a private for profit business.

Isn't it too bad that all government agencies can't operate as most successful for profit businesses do?

LionRound, you are a Prince among the bureaucratic petty tyrants and gov't employee ner-do-wells.
    lionround likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links