Got my permit in the mail so I went to Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Got my permit in the mail so I went to Wal-Mart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Saturday, I finally got my permit in the mail. I had read previous posts of people describing the first time they carried in public ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my permit in the mail so I went to Wal-Mart

Got my permit in the mail so I went to Wal-Mart

On Saturday, I finally got my permit in the mail. I had read previous posts of people describing the first time they carried in public so I was prepared to feel very self conscious. Although there was a bit of that; feeling like everyone saw the 9mm under my clothes, I got used to it a lot quicker than expected. I was around extended family throughout the day and no one identified I was packing. I went to two department stores and no one gave me a second glance so I know I had it well concealed. I am happy to be able to protect myself and my family.

On the practical side, let me describe my carrying system. I am carrying a Taurus PT-111 9mm in a Kangaroo Holster. It sits right under my left arm pit. It was very comfortable and you could hardly see my gun. The only thing you could see was the corner of the handle every once in awhile, but it just looked like a fold in the cloth. My wife kept forgetting I was carrying.

Thank you, to all on this forum. Without the advice from many of you, I am not sure I would have went down this path. Be safe!

2. Remove Ads

Congrats...

on the new permti and WW trek...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Congrats on obtaining your CCW permit.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Congratulations on the permit.

Um, not to be a party pooper, but didn't I read on this forum that in NM, it is illegal to carry in a business that sells alcohol, and that Walmart, which sells wine and beer and stuff, counts as such?

What's the deal for real?

Welcome to the club, feels much better doesn't it!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Congratulations on the permit.

Um, not to be a party pooper, but didn't I read on this forum that in NM, it is illegal to carry in a business that sells alcohol, and that Walmart, which sells wine and beer and stuff, counts as such?

What's the deal for real?
    Since most gun laws are mostly cloned from one state to another, although I'm not a NM resident, I think the laws about that are that you can't carry if the business derives more than 51% of their revenues from alcohol sales which is why bars are obviously off limits but restaraunts aren't.
    YMMV in your state.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have a friend that "knows a guy' that is a "deep undercover agent" for Wally Woild. He is extensively trained in the fine art of determining weather a person is carring a concealed weapon or not.

These deep cover agents are trained in several locations near Quantico, Va. They go thru a 9 week training regement that certifies them to report directly to the nacho stand manager which in turn reports any and all "suspicious" activity to the parking lot rent-a-cop.

He will have his "crusier" positioned in such a manner as to block you from leaving until such time as they can check your receipts and any evidence of shopping cart willful and wanton destruction.(I had a friend that was accused of intentionally causing a wobbly wheel.)

I have never,repeat NEVER,heard of any first time CC individual gettin' out of WW "alive".

Forget the FBI "data bank". WW has the ulitmate in stored CC individual names,DOB's,marital stattus,and WWB buyers.(yep, the naco stand guys do double duty,working in the sporting goods dept. also)

Good luck to us all !! -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; November 7th, 2006 at 07:37 AM.

Lead Moderator
    Congrats!!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Congrats,

It seems the WW trip is an expected/anticipated trip for a new CCWer! LOL!

koolguynet,

As ignorant as Walmart is I would not carry in their store. It ain't worth the risk of losing your right to carry. It is a 4th degree felony in NM if caught. and that could cost you more than you care to pay. However, I would write them a letter stating that you will shop elsewhere whenever feasible because of their policy and that you will advise other gun owners to do the same. I buy ammo cheaper on the net than what Wally World can provide it for. So I shop fewer times at Walmart Just because of their weapons policy.

Tim
    Down in the Gila

Quote Originally Posted by koolguynet View Post
    On Saturday, I finally got my permit in the mail. I had read previous posts of people describing the first time they carried in public so I was prepared to feel very self conscious. Although there was a bit of that; feeling like everyone saw the 9mm under my clothes, I got used to it a lot quicker than expected. I was around extended family throughout the day and no one identified I was packing. I went to two department stores and no one gave me a second glance so I know I had it well concealed. I am happy to be able to protect myself and my family.

On the practical side, let me describe my carrying system. I am carrying a Taurus PT-111 9mm in a Kangaroo Holster. It sits right under my left arm pit. It was very comfortable and you could hardly see my gun. The only thing you could see was the corner of the handle every once in awhile, but it just looked like a fold in the cloth. My wife kept forgetting I was carrying.

Thank you, to all on this forum. Without the advice from many of you, I am not sure I would have went down this path. Be safe!

Any insight you have on the Kangaroo system would be appreciated. How were they to deal with? How stable is it? How big a gun can you carry (I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight J-Frame and a XD-9). Does it get stinky? can it be washed? How comfortable is it?

Pictures?

VIP Member
    WOO HOO! Congratulations!

Be safe!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wally World

I carry all the time in WW. Here in FL they can not tell me I can't. If they some how found out all they can do is ask me to leave...
    Con-Grats to you...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by produman View Post
    I carry all the time in WW. Here in FL they can not tell me I can't. If they some how found out all they can do is ask me to leave...
    Con-Grats to you...

Same goes for Michigan. As far as selling alcohol goes, if they don't make over 50% of their income from alcohol, it's not off limits. This would even include some bowling alleys, though maybe not all. With the price of a game these days, plus shoes, etc, and with all the kids bowling and all the food and soft drinks they sell, plus equipment from the pro shop, I doubt their alcohol sales are over 50% of there business.

As far as Wally World goes, in Michigan, unless it's a "Supercenter", they don't sell alcohol anyway.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Congrats, keep training, and becareful out there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links