Female carry options

This is a discussion on Female carry options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently bought my wife a SIG P238. She does not want to pocketbook carry because my two year old has a propensity to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Female carry options

Female carry options

I have recently bought my wife a SIG P238. She does not want to pocketbook carry because my two year old has a propensity to rummage through her pocketbook. I have heard that do to differences between male and female body types, the standard IWB does not fit a woman's waist nearly as well as it does a man's. what are good carry options for her? She is a petite woman.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I'm sorry about any redundancy, just don't have time to rummage through 15,000 posts.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I carry IWB often - IMO hybrids work well for women but you have to play with where it fits best to find that perfect sweet spot. That's assuming she's willing to wear a belt and a looser shirt. For my XDsc I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck which I love but it's bigger than I'd prefer overall and for my Shield I have a Little Foxx which I LOVE. I'm planning on getting one for the XDsc too.

I also often use a flashbang and love it although not many women I've talked to like it as much as I do.

I've heard great things about Kangaroo Carry.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

Lish is there a specific brand of holster that you find fits better? I have a Milt Sparks and a Brigade Gunleather, but I don't want to invest that kind of money and wait 10 months to find out that it does not conceal or work for her. I'm more than happy to make the commitment if it does work. Thanks.

With the extremely small size of the P238 you might want to look at appendix carry. The Appendix IWB holsters tend to have a smaller overall profile too. I made one for a 4" 1911 that was surprisingly small.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Might want to click on over to this section and browse around for ideas - The Official Female Carry Reference Thread
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Also go to youtube and check out faliaphotography. It's a channel done by a woman that's a very knowledgeable gun girl. She has lots of great videos devoted to holsters for women. Just remember, if your wife catches you watching her videos (she's quite attractive!), be quick to point out it's "research" that you're doing!
    Vuva3rae likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Might want to click on over to this section and browse around for ideas - The Official Female Carry Reference Thread
    Thanks, I found that shortly after posting. Look like there are a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT_Rich View Post
    Lish is there a specific brand of holster that you find fits better? I have a Milt Sparks and a Brigade Gunleather, but I don't want to invest that kind of money and wait 10 months to find out that it does not conceal or work for her. I'm more than happy to make the commitment if it does work. Thanks.
    For me I've been very happy with Foxx Holsters, the Little Foxx is what I have. www.foxxholsters.com About 2 weeks from my order to my mailbox, good price, and most importantly it's comfy for me. Not too big and bulky, the overall footprint is small. I've also been very happy with my Crossbreed, but I'd check and see if the MiniTuck comes in her gun vs the SuperTuck. Crossbreed's site is www.crossbreedholsters.com I'd go there to see what fits her gun but be sure to check out www.crossbreedseconds.com if they have any already made that fit. I ordered mine through their seconds site - was in GREAT shape and I got it in about a week. You have to send cash, but I had no problems doing that. They're considered either not up to standards or returns but I had to look really hard to find a blemish on mine. (Don't go by the picture of mine to judge for the seconds site, that's how it looks now after a year of daily use, not when I got it)

www.kangaroocarry.com is what a friend (female) has and loves - I may try that at some point.

A lot of women swear by belly bands but I haven't wanted to try one, too hot in the FL heat for me. Maybe with a camisole under it...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364387708.328206.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364387738.010876.jpg

Thanks so much Lish, I've noticed that woman's holsters are not all leather. Wonder why that is.

My wife is petite as well, and carries a Kahr CW9 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

There is a great you tube video from a woman showing a number of carry options. She is fairly petite. Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube

Keep Remora holsters in mind. They work great and here is a woman's perspective video to check out: Remora No-Clip IWB Holster - review & demo - YouTube They are also reasonably priced and backed by great customer service. Inexpensive so you don't need a huge commitment with a Remora.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT_Rich View Post
    Thanks so much Lish, I've noticed that woman's holsters are not all leather. Wonder why that is.
    I have seen some - the Lady Fist is leather I believe...

So much is personal preference. Put any 10 women in a room and I'll bet we'd each carry differently, even if a couple had the same holster we'd probably have it in a different spot. I like barely behind my hip, some others like appendix - appendix is horribly uncomfortable for me. From what I've read on these forums you guys have a lot of different preferences too. It's going to likely be some trial and error. Hip and waist sizes, dress styles, chest size - there's so many differences among us what works for some of us doesn't work for others. Like I mentioned before I love the flashbang, I've read a lot of women who hate it. It's not the most comfortable thing I've ever worn (hot and a little hard on the sternum) but thank goodness I can finally not wear an oversized shirt!! (where's the dancing banana on tapatalk?) And yes, dress styles - that's where I think you get the most variation with women and the most difficulty with holsters. I NEVER wore a belt until I committed to CC. I will put on 10 different outfits until I find one that conceals the gun but doesn't make me look frumpy. Somehow the outfit I have on today will conceal perfectly but tomorrow will print.

The two IWB holsters I use aren't actually "women's" holsters, although I did get a chick color in the Little Foxx (and painted the engravings on the gun to match! lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I have seen some - the Lady Fist is leather I believe...)
    Whatever you do, don't google "lady fist" without the word "holster"

Distinguished Member
    When I read the thread title, the first thing that popped into my mind is " a full grown female is generally to heavy to carry for very long."o
    Last edited by phreddy; March 28th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links