Gander Mountain & ammo policy

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain & ammo policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scheels All Sports was doing the same thing, when my wife bought her new gun she could buy a 100 round box of WWB that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain & ammo policy

Scheels All Sports was doing the same thing, when my wife bought her new gun she could buy a 100 round box of WWB that they held in back for new gun purchasers, but they have since ran out of supply so havent' been able to offer it buyers now. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering how hard it is to find ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by revjd0266 View Post
    hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i can. ok so we all know ammo is hard to come by. everytime i go to gander mountain i always check for ammo. and like always they dont have any. however yesterday i watched as a gentleman next to me bought a new handgun and i heard the guy behind the counter tell him that they keep bulk ammo in the back for people who buy a new handgun. and i watched as the clerk handed over 350 rounds. i called Gander mountain and they said it is not the policy to do this. what do you guys think? granted i didn't buy my handgun from gander mountains because around me they seem to be about $50-$70 dollars higher than the local gun shops are for new guns.
    I was at Gander Mountain yesterday in Spring, Tx. and bought 400 rounds of Federal 45 acp without any hassel or questions. Must have been a store policy there. Also, capitalization is your friend, just saying.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I never knew CCI sold 375R bricks of 22. Is this something new?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

... as if I needed ANOTHER reason to buy more guns... sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Here GM has alot higher prices on most everything. What's funny is Academy is maybe 50 yards away and alot cheaper on guns and ammo. I have compared prices at 2gun stores, academy, and GM. GM was much higher. Priced magazines for my p238, $49.99 at GM and $39 at gun store(sig brand).I always pass on their ammo. Two Wal Marts here and one seems to always have some at very good prices. The other one is always out.

Agree

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The GM in WPB, FL, had plenty of ammo--except for 9mm--last weekend, with a limit of 5 boxes and a sizeable chunk of your wallet. My wallet is neither that big nor that desparate.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Oldvet thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Took a friend to GM just last week to purchase a new handgun. No 9mm ammo on the shelf, but the salesman said he could sell him up to four boxes of 50 with the purchase. My buddy only wanted two, but those other two went on his ticket!!! (Remington FMJ $14.99 for a box of 50.)

I don't think it's unreasonable to hold over a few boxes for those purchasing new handguns.

I'm surprised Gander Mountain has guns to sell, when I ran through there looking for ammo the gun counter only has a few used guns and a couple of new ones. One Saturday I was in there it looked like the jewelry counter at the mall on Christmas Eve, about two employees and people three deep waiting. One time I was able to buy ammo at GM, it was bulk .40 S&W ammo, 250 rounds $110.00. Fortunately I have found a store that seems to have ammo every time I go, prices are high, American Eagle 40 S&W $22.50 per 50 and American Eagle .45 for $29.95 per 50. What I save on gas by eliminating my 3-4 times a week 4 store search justifies the higher price.
    "We cannot resort to simplistic or extreme solutions which substitute myths for common sense". JIMMY CARTER

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The GM in WPB, FL, had plenty of ammo--except for 9mm--last weekend, with a limit of 5 boxes and a sizeable chunk of your wallet. My wallet is neither that big nor that desparate.
    i got 1,000 rounds of 9mm. (Rem) there, about 2 weeks ago for $250.00
    I bit high compared to pre-scarcity prices when I could get the same amount online for $200 or $210 but still not $500/case like some prices I'm seeing.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

When I first read the OP i was sort of miffed but in retrospect it does make sense for them to hold ammo for gun buyers. Otherwise they may not be selling too many guns. I still think their prices are too high.

I don't have a problem with a gun shop holding back some ammo for purchasers of new firearms. I was at a shop a couple of years ago where a customer was purchasing a new .380 and the clerk told him they didn't have any ammo for it except for a couple of boxes of self defense rounds. I felt sorry for the customer! I certainly would not want to buy a new gun and not be able to buy some ammo for it at a reasonable price to shoot it and break it in. And I sure as heck can't affored to "practice" with self defense rounds!!! A few, yes, just to ensure they function, but I sure couldn't afford a steady diet of them for practice shooting!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I never knew CCI sold 375R bricks of 22. Is this something new?
    Not sure, but the CCI "AR Tactical" .22 LR ammo that shoots accurately in my 10/22s comes in 375 round boxes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjwheels View Post
    I'm surprised Gander Mountain has guns to sell, when I ran through there looking for ammo the gun counter only has a few used guns and a couple of new ones. One Saturday I was in there it looked like the jewelry counter at the mall on Christmas Eve, about two employees and people three deep waiting. One time I was able to buy ammo at GM, it was bulk .40 S&W ammo, 250 rounds $110.00. Fortunately I have found a store that seems to have ammo every time I go, prices are high, American Eagle 40 S&W $22.50 per 50 and American Eagle .45 for $29.95 per 50. What I save on gas by eliminating my 3-4 times a week 4 store search justifies the higher price.
    The GM by my house has 500 handguns, and even more rifles/ shotguns currently in stock! Little light on Glock pistols though.

Their store their product they can sell it as they please.
    No real fan of gander Mountain but no problem with them if they are doing it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links