Gander Mountain & ammo policy

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain & ammo policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain & ammo policy

Gander Mountain & ammo policy

hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i can. ok so we all know ammo is hard to come by. everytime i go to gander mountain i always check for ammo. and like always they dont have any. however yesterday i watched as a gentleman next to me bought a new handgun and i heard the guy behind the counter tell him that they keep bulk ammo in the back for people who buy a new handgun. and i watched as the clerk handed over 350 rounds. i called Gander mountain and they said it is not the policy to do this. what do you guys think? granted i didn't buy my handgun from gander mountains because around me they seem to be about $50-$70 dollars higher than the local gun shops are for new guns.

2. Remove Ads

That have never had that happen at the gander near me, but they have a bulk ammo sale like once a month also and actually have decent prices considering the times.

i havent seen that at gander but i have heard some smaller ffls doing that
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Quote Originally Posted by revjd0266 View Post
    hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i can. ok so we all know ammo is hard to come by. everytime i go to gander mountain i always check for ammo. and like always they dont have any. however yesterday i watched as a gentleman next to me bought a new handgun and i heard the guy behind the counter tell him that they keep bulk ammo in the back for people who buy a new handgun. and i watched as the clerk handed over 350 rounds. i called Gander mountain and they said it is not the policy to do this. what do you guys think? granted i didn't buy my handgun from gander mountains because around me they seem to be about $50-$70 dollars higher than the local gun shops are for new guns.
    Call your local Gander and ask what day (Night) they get their weekly ammo/gun shipment. If Tues night,then go there VERY early Weds AM. (like 7 or 6:30) and wait for opening at 9.
    My local store gives out #'s so there is no stampede to the gun dept. All the scarce ammo is behind the counter so you have to go by #.
    They DO have .40,.45 and AK ammo in front.
    Scarce stuff is .22,9mm.,.223/5.56 Prices are very good for todays market. ($250 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm.)
    OhioCatter likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    GM prices above retail...even before the Obama induced craziness. I told them the MSRP, and they said that will be the "sale" price they would offer the next week.

I tried to buy a pistol there years ago, and they wouldn't sell because the purchase permit, issued by the Chief of Police, signed by me, and notarized did not have the suffix of my name. I called the dept. so they could talk to the office clerk. She explained that the computer form could not fit that, and that I had just been in to pick up he permit. I told the salesman I would take my business to a store that understood MI gun law. I bought a Sig at a local store that day.

I window shop, mostly consignment guns, but haven't even bought a pair of socks since. I was in today, shocked at he price of a (normally) $32 box of .38 marked for $47! They had a S&W M&P15-22 for $990.

My money goes elsewhere.
    Last edited by Nmuskier; March 29th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Once likes this.

I think that's a reasonable local policy that protects the guy paying a good buck for a new gun, to ensure he's got some ammo to put through it. Think of it as "rewards" points for customers spending more. Not buying a gun? Get in line and lurk with the rest of us.
    mr.stuart and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    It's not a horrible marketing strategy if they can somehow communicate to potential new gun buyers that if they buy guns with them...they can get ammo, too. As they say in the cell phone industry it's harder to get new customers than retain old ones. Maybe this is a way they think they can attract new customers (hopefully without alienating current/loyal ones). It's a risk you run, I guess.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I went there to check for ammo last week. Same thing ,all shelves were bare . So I checked over the guns , noticed a Ruger 10/22 carbine . Wanted one for sometime , so I bought it . While I was waiting for my background check . I mentioned how nice it would be to find some 22lr ammo . Clerk goes in back brings me a 375 CCI brick , so I ask for another one . Brings me one more . Then told me anything I buy right now that's firearm related I get 5% off . Told him I was ok , he tries to get me to buy some 9mm rounds they had stashed in back . I'm ok with my 9mm supply so I pass .
    You're right they do stash ammo in back for customers who buy handguns !!
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

Think about it...what good does it do a new gun owner to purchase a new firearm, but then find out there is no ammo for it?

A large number of gun dealers do this.

I personally have no issue with a dealer keeping ammunition in the back for buyers of a new firearm. A sale on a box of 9mm won't make up for the lost sale/s on a 9mm (Or any other caliber) firearm.
    Fitch, JDE101 and thephanatik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    Think about it...what good does it do a new gun owner to purchase a new firearm, but then find out there is no ammo for it?

A large number of gun dealers do this.

I personally have no issue with a dealer keeping ammunition in the back for buyers of a new firearm. A sale on a box of 9mm won't make up for the lost sale/s on a 9mm (Or any other caliber) firearm.

I totally agree ,
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

All of the LGS and big box stores around here have adopted this same policy. Makes sense to take care of the customer spending big bucks on a new weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by revjd0266 View Post
    If that's the store's policy - bulk ammo for a new gun purchase - then that's the policy. They likely offer that because who wants to buy a gun with no ammo available. Helps their sales.

(Wonder where they get the bulk......THAT would be nice to find out. Perhaps it's available to them because Gander's a national chain that gets a deal, which brings the REAL question up: where is ANYONE getting the bulk ammo to start with?...)

VIP Member
    Several of our LGS have ammo in the back for guns they sell.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I completely support the stores that hold back some ammo for buyers purchasing a gun. My LGS does this. Not gonna sell a lot of guns in this market if you buyer can't get any ammo. Especially a .22lr!
    detective and JDE101 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Here GM has alot higher prices on most everything. What's funny is Academy is maybe 50 yards away and alot cheaper on guns and ammo. I have compared prices at 2gun stores, academy, and GM. GM was much higher. Priced magazines for my p238, $49.99 at GM and $39 at gun store(sig brand).I always pass on their ammo. Two Wal Marts here and one seems to always have some at very good prices. The other one is always out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links