"no-gun" places in Va and NC

This is a discussion on "no-gun" places in Va and NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know what the rules are in these states re: concealed carry, and fully intend to comply. A recent post re: no-gun signs in restaurants ...

Thread: "no-gun" places in Va and NC

I know what the rules are in these states re: concealed carry, and fully intend to comply.
    A recent post re: no-gun signs in restaurants showed animosity against gun owners.
    I will be travelling to the areas of: Suffolk, Va and Martin county, NC. My friend owns some property there. Will I come across a lot of anti-weapon signs, or is this a big city thing there?

VIP Member
    Not real familiar with Martin county but checking the map I doubt you will run into many “no guns” signs just watch out for the usual no carry areas.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    seriously read the states gun laws. Learn your self what you need to know. Do Not rely on memebers to feed you all the right info. I see where you are going but your crossing seveal other states too. Atleast start here. Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I know what the rules are in these states re: concealed carry, and fully intend to comply.
    A recent post re: no-gun signs in restaurants showed animosity against gun owners.
    I will be travelling to the areas of: Suffolk, Va and Martin county, NC. My friend owns some property there. Will I come across a lot of anti-weapon signs, or is this a big city thing there?
    Do you open or conceal carry? If you are carrying concealed, you don't have to worry about obeying the signs in VA. In VA, if your firearm is spotted and you are asked to leave and do not, you can be charged with trespassing. Nothing more. If they don't see it and ask you to leave then you have nothing to worry about. The signs don't carry force of law in VA unless you are asked to leave and refuse. If the bar/restaurant serves alcohol then you can still carry there as long as you don't drink.

If you open carry then you may as well leave it in the car anywhere you see a no guns sign in VA. I don't see the signs very often around VA. I'm near Suffolk but don't frequent there so I can't answer as to how many of those signs you will see there.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    seriously read the states gun laws. Learn your self what you need to know. Do Not rely on memebers to feed you all the right info. I see where you are going but your crossing seveal other states too. Atleast start here. Handgunlaw.us
    I have read handgunlaw.us. as well as some others. I know what the LAW says. I have copies of the laws as gotten on that website, in a folder in my computer bag, in case of having to enlighten a local LEO.....

However, I asked if the locals, in the areas I mentioned, have seen a lot of posted signs on businesses and restaurants. I will not patronize them if so. That was the question

I don't think you'll run into a lot of signs as long as
    You stay away from NoVA.

I haven't been to Martin County in a couple of years but I used to work that area in my sales territory. As you already know it is very rural with a few small towns. Most of the economy is ran by farmers and loggers. I lot of VERY GOOD people there that would be glad to give one the shirt off their back to assist. That being said the only places I remember seeing 'the signs' were the schools, community college, and hospital. There are probably a few more scattered about but I don't think you will see many at all, if any.

Other than at certain movie theaters, I have not seen a single "no carry" sign posted in any business establishment in the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Va Beach area. I usually keep a watchful eye out before entering an establishment, but if I have to hunt for the sign (not prominently displayed), then I don't worry about it.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Only sign I've seen is at Buffalo Wild Wings
    You can CC (if your permit is recognized by VA) in restaurants but not order alcohol. (You can drink if you OC though)
    Generally we are gun friendly in south east Virginia (NE not so much)
    Enjoy your visit!!

VIP Member
    Tzadik pretty well sums it up for you in VA. If you happen to get into the Richmond area, the only places I've seen the no gun signs are malls and and TGI Friday's.. Since I don't do the Wings thing, I couldn't tell you about them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Read up on NC CC restrictions as many places a re restricted: any place charging admission, any place serving alcohol, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Read up on NC CC restrictions as many places a re restricted: any place charging admission, any place serving alcohol, etc.
    And there may not be no gun signs in these places, because you are to know that
    no guns are allowed. So read up, Handgunlaw.US is a good place.

This is even better:
    http://ncdoj.com/Files/About-DOJ/Law...-gun-Laws.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    ...in case of having to enlighten a local LEO.....
    If you take the tone with them that you've taken toward some of the responders to your question, please let us know how that "LEO enlightenment" thing works out.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have been carrying in NC for about 6 months now and have only run into one place that was "posted" and it was a little shop up in West Jefferson. I just let my wife and sister-in-law go in while I waited outside. Outside of the places that you cannot legally carry anyway I've only seen that one sign. My experience thus far has been pretty positive when it comes to lack of "posted" signs.

Thank y'all for he info. Ghost tracker: I will watch my tone of voice. Sorry if I came off that way, it was not the intent.
    My trip will be going to each property, staying in a motel overnight and going back. We will not be doing the tourist routine.
    I downloaded the most recent state laws and have read them. They do change and modify from year to year....

Here in Central Florida, the only place I have seen signs is the hospitals and medical buildings, including my own Doctors.

Sponsored Links