Texas will require CHL instructors to have another certification.

This is a discussion on Texas will require CHL instructors to have another certification. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It appears that with the renewals this year, Texas is going to require that all CHL instructors have additional certifications in order to continue being ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Texas will require CHL instructors to have another certification.

It appears that with the renewals this year, Texas is going to require that all CHL instructors have additional certifications in order to continue being CHL instructors.

You will now have to meet one of these additional criteria. Looks like the wife will have to get signed up for an NRA Instructor class.

Certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) as a firearm instructor - supporting documentation includes a copy of your TCLEOSE firearm instructor certificate. (Must be a firearm instructor, basic instructor is not sufficient.)

Certified under the Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702, (Private Security Act) as a firearm instructor – supporting documentation includes a copy of the Private Security instructor registration.

Certified by the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) as a firearm instructor – supporting document includes a copy of certificate of training and a copy your unexpired NRA credentials. ( Must be certified to instructor handgun/pistol)

Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What is the difference in training requirements from a CHL instructor and a NRA instructor?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sounds like the price of cc'ing just went up in TX.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    I wish my home state would start taking some lessons from some of the stronger 2A states and start working towards less laws and regulations concerning firearms, not more of them.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    What is the difference in training requirements from a CHL instructor and a NRA instructor?
    The Texas CHL instructor course simply gives you the information regarding Texas laws, regulations and administrative rules. Not much time is spent on handgun knowledge or training/teaching techniques.

The NRA courses, which include Basic Instructor Training and Basic Pistol, go over teaching techniques, and more indepth knowledge of handguns themselves.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    What's the problem with requiring more training for those that are teaching law-abiding citizens how to handle firearms? I get the idea of government and regulation...not usually good, but we ask it of all sorts of professions: teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. If you are passionate about 2A issues, shooting sports, and the overall knowledge of firearms and firearms related items, I would think you (like me if I were in that position) would say something like..."Though I hate paying for that class/training/instruction (budgets are tight), it is going to be some awesome stuff that I am going to learn, apply and pass on to current and future gun owners." I want the people training me...to be the best equipped and trained people I know. I want them, like me in my profession and hobbies, to never stop learning and growing in knowledge, understanding and expertise.

I just wish we could get our politicians to get more training and knowledge and expertise in the area of history, the constitution, and law. Wouldn't that be a novel idea?!
    wtexasprincipal likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    It appears that with the renewals this year, Texas is going to require that all CHL instructors have additional certifications in order to continue being CHL instructors.

You will now have to meet one of these additional criteria. Looks like the wife will have to get signed up for an NRA Instructor class.
    Here in Nevada - Clark County Sheriff requires you to hold a NRA instructor certification for "Personal Protection Outside the Home" to get your CHL/CWP Instructor's license.

Note: For the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home, the prerequisites are Basic Pistol Instructor, Personal Protection In the Home Instructor, so I would check with the issuing authority because if they are requiring the Outside the Home cert, she'll need the other two certificates also.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I understand the shall not be infringed part,but a lot of us were brought up from an early age shooting and hunting.There are a lot of first time gun owners that other than the written rules on paper really don't have an understanding of safe gun handling/range procedures and could greatly benefit from additional instruction.I realise that in reality that responsibility should rest on the individual,but with the attacks on legal responsible gun owners maybe extra training isn't such a bad idea.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I think this is an unfortunate move--- has it gotten past the legislature? Is it for real now?

It is wrong on several levels IMO, not that that matters if it has already been legislated or
    enacted via regulations.

1) The CHL course and test are almost exclusively about the laws, not handgun instruction.

2) I don't like government of any kind to give authority to private organizations when the authority
    should be retained by the government. If TX wants the instructors to have the equivalent
    of the NRA firearms instructor certificate, it should have its own instructors and its own course.

Otherwise, a governmental function is being turned over to a private organization. It is ironic
    for example, that CT requires applicants for its CHL to take the NRA course while at the same time
    its politicos bash NRA. If the bashing is deserved, then the licensing should be divorced from
    the organization that is considered unacceptable.

I could understand adding the equivalent of the NRA handgun certificate to the training requirement
    for obtaining the CHL, but I can't see any benefit to requiring the CHL instructors to have to
    NRA instructor certificate.

Farronwolf? How'd this come about? It is IMO wrong and I wouldn't mind contacting my
    state representative about it, though the legislature will likely adjourn before this bit of stupidity
    can be undone.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have nothing against requiring a high level of training for instructors. Whether or not the benefits of that training is transfered to the students is another matter.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Here in Nevada - Clark County Sheriff requires you to hold a NRA instructor certification for "Personal Protection Outside the Home" to get your CHL/CWP Instructor's license.

Note: For the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home, the prerequisites are Basic Pistol Instructor, Personal Protection In the Home Instructor, so I would check with the issuing authority because if they are requiring the Outside the Home cert, she'll need the other two certificates also.
    Nope, just Basic Pistol Instructor status with current credentials.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hopyard,

I believe this has always been in the administrative rules that the DPS goes by.

It is however just now being mandated for new instructors or renewals for all instructors who's certification expire this year.

Here is a the code section in the CHL 16 manual from page 19.

GC §411.190. QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTORS. (a) The director may certify as a qualified handgun instructor a person who:
    (1) is certified by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education or under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, to instruct others in the use of handguns;
    (2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors; or
    (3) is certified by the National Rifle Association of America as a handgun instructor.
    (b) In addition to the qualifications described by Subsection (a), a qualified handgun instructor must be qualified to instruct persons in:
    (1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;
    (2) handgun use, proficiency, and safety;
    (3) nonviolent dispute resolution; and
    (4) proper storage practices for handguns, ect, ect.

Here is the current CHL 90 form for instructors.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-90.pdf
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hopyard,

I believe this has always been in the administrative rules that the DPS goes by.

It is however just now being mandated for new instructors or renewals for all instructors who's certification expire this year.

Here is a the code section in the CHL 16 manual from page 19.

Here is the current CHL 90 form for instructors.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-90.pdf
    The premise being used by the regulators is wrong IMO. "(a) The director may certify as a qualified handgun instructor a person who:"

Part in bold--- that's not what the CHL course is about. It isn't handgun instruction. Maybe some CHL
    instructors do both, but it isn't necessary that they do both. The specificity of part 3, "3) is certified by the National Rifle Association of America as a handgun instructor," is where I have a problem.

I don't see where a single private organization should have any role whatsoever in determining
    who is a qualified instructor for state purposes. That's just my view, on principle.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hey,

What is good for the goos is good for the gander. I never liked mandatory training and now looks like the instructors are mandated they need more training. Where else do you think this will lead?

Allow the government to get invovlved at all and things just get worse.
    I could say I don't feel bad for the instructors since most all think mandatory training should be required for a CHL....but I won't be a hypocrit.

It is wrong for them to have mandatory training at all, and to add on to the instructors certification is just plain dumb.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It has always been in the rules, just not enforced over the past number of years. DPS training cadre reviews the statutory laws and administrative rules every two years to ensure compliance. That is what happened last year after the previous legislative session in 2011 was completed. They realized that the law was specific and required an applicant for CHL instructor must possess a valid instructor certificate from either military, TCLEOSE, private security, NRA or other nationally recognized training facility before being eligible to become a CHL instructor. They are now enforcing that once again.

The Texas Legislature is once again in session which will end soon. DPS will go through a review of the laws and regulations again this year to see what changes, if any must be made to ensure compliance with state laws. That is the way it is.....

Now for my two cents worth, as a DPS certified CHL instructor in Texas, I have seen a number of CHL instructors who don't know how to teach or be safe. How can they instruct others when they don't or can't do it themselves? To become certified as a pistol instructor by the military, TCLEOSE, NRA, etc. you have at least passed a course of instruction that has taught you adult learning principles and teaching methods as well as handgun proficiency and safety. The CHL instructor course does not do that.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links