EAA Witness compared to carry and conceal

This is a discussion on EAA Witness compared to carry and conceal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone! Finally got a chance to shoot my new Kahr CW9 and EAA Witness (regular full size 9mm). The Kahr kicked harder than I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: EAA Witness compared to carry and conceal

EAA Witness compared to carry and conceal

Hey everyone!

Finally got a chance to shoot my new Kahr CW9 and EAA Witness (regular full size 9mm). The Kahr kicked harder than I expected and had the looooooooongest pull ever. I'm sure I will get used to it eventually (I shot several mags through it before I started to NOT shoot horribly). However, the Witness was a fantastic shot and tons of fun to shoot. I'm interested in looking at the EAA Witness Carry and the EAA Witness Conceal. Does anyone know how the frames are in size in comparison to each other? I have very short fingers and most guns are too big in the grip for me. The Witness was the ONLY double stack 9mm I have ever found that fit my hand perfectly. I tend to hold high and it is perfectly narrow at the top. I would love to carry the Witness but I don't think my frame would support trying to conceal carry it. If anyone has any ideas of size comparison, that would be awesome. Comparison pics would be even better, but I'm sure that wouldn't be an easy request to fill! Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    To help expand your search some, do some searching on the CZ P-01. It's very similar in dimension to the EAA Witness Compact and I know a fair number of people carry the P-01.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Looking at the EAA website, I see the Witness Carry and the Compact, don't see a model listed as the Conceal. Between the Carry and Compact, it appears the difference is the grip length, with the Compact grip being about an inch shorter.

From the guns you mentioned, I'm assuming you're looking for a poly frame gun. I'd suggest you also look at the CZ P-07. I just purchased one. It has eaten everything I've thrown at it so far. Is a really soft shooting gun, and here is a big PLUS in my opinion, it is switchable from decocked to manual safety. Comes as a decocker mechanism installed and manual safety comes with it. 5 minute job to switch it out and requires no tools other than a small screwdriver.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I can't help with the size comparison but you mentioned due to your frame it may not conceal well. As long as you have a good belt and a good holster you will be surprised what you can conceal.

VIP Member
    From your name, one might assume you are female, which is going to affect what and how you carry tremendously.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If the EAA Witness floats your boat, definitely check out the CZ P-01, CZ 75 D Compact PCR, and even the smaller CZ 2075 RAMI (with manual safety, or the BD decocker without). The P-01 and PCR should also feel wonderfully in the hand. They're all double-stack. Unfortunately, too, that also means they're wide as a water buffalo, which impact concealment a bit. The 2075, though, is pretty easy to conceal.

And if the 2075's size is preferable, check the H&K P2000SK or Glock 26. While "plastic" frame guns, these are similar in size, double-stack, easier to conceal than their larger counterparts.

Every one of these has rock-solid reliability. I'm sort of an ergonomics freak, too, and the CZ's are hard to beat in this regard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Did the Witness come with the girl in the ad? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    EAA Witness Carry and the EAA Witness Conceal. Does anyone know how the frames are in size in comparison to each other?
    European American Armory Corp

CZ USA

I have very short fingers and most guns are too big in the grip for me. The Witness was the ONLY double stack 9mm I have ever found that fit my hand perfectly. I tend to hold high and it is perfectly narrow at the top. I would love to carry the Witness but I don't think my frame would support trying to conceal carry it.
    I've got fairly short fingers and smaller hands, too. But I've carried a CZ P-01 for years. After altering the grips to a set of thinner wooden grips made for me (by Sam at Omega), the circumference of the grip got much more manageable. Ideally, an adjustment to the trigger to allow for a slightly shorter LOP would make things perfect. But it works well.

If overall size frustrates you, see if you can get your hands on the CZ 2075 RAMI. While CZ states its P-01 and PCR are "compact," the 2075 is ~6.5" OAL (about the size of a S&W snubbie revolver, or a Glock 26). An extremely close-fitting IWB holster can also help in this regard, so long as you position it along your waist/belt where it tucked in snugly to your shape. A great belt and the right holster help tremendously in this regard. As does having the right sort of pants and covering garments. Get it right, and concealment with even the full-sized EAA or CZ pistols isn't impossible.

If you've ever held a Browning Hi-Power, you'll know the ergonomics of its grip shape/angle are hard to beat. If you've got the coin, a couple of "chopped" options might be your cup of tea: an Austin Behlert custom "Mini BHP"; or a custom Browning Hi-Power Pathfinder, by Cylinder & Slide.

And if you enjoyed the Kahr CW9's feel but the only real drawback is the recoil/snap, consider the all-metal Kahr K9. Fabulous ergonomics, but much better recoil control due to the weight/balance differences.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I will definitely have to check out the cz p-01 but I would also love to hold the EAA witness carry. I thing the compact may have a pretty snappy kick, and I'm trying to get away from that. I want something that has a soft kick like the full size EAA witness but something I can conceal easily. I only have a kangaroo carry holster right now but I would take suggestions on other good conceal options that will be comfortable and easy (no purse or bag style, as I don't carry these). Bare in mind that I am a curvy gal, especially in the hip area. All Glocks are waaaaay too big for me and most other 9mm double stack are as well. Only the EAA Witness has fit my hand perfectly.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The EAA is a clone of the CZ. It has a good reputation, but CZ is the origin of the design.

I carry a CZ 75 compact regularly. The original compact is a steel frame, and is an amazingly soft shooter. It is my favorite range gun I own. The P01 is an alloy frame, but should not add much perceived recoil. The RAMI is just a bit smaller, and will add a bit of recoil.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I used to carry a Witness as a CCW firearm and it is indeed concealable. Like any other full size handgun you have to begin with a strong belt and a good holster. It will fit most CZ75 holsters and I suggest IWB for best concealment. Mine still is a very dependable and extremely accurate handgun. If you get a chance go to the CZ forum and take a look at a PO-1 as a replacement or addition at some time.

I really like the Springfield xd's. I have a xds which I love but probably has too much kick. I have heard that some shoot fairly soft. Maybe others can offer info on them. I know most ranges loan them.

Links