Costco changing it's policy? Maybe just locally?

This is a discussion on Costco changing it's policy? Maybe just locally? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So tonight we are coming back from the gun range and decide to stop at Costco. I casually tell my wife that I think we ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Costco changing it's policy? Maybe just locally?

So tonight we are coming back from the gun range and decide to stop at Costco. I casually tell my wife that I think we should our membership to Sam's club because of the gunbuster sign that Costco has out front. She agreed, and even stated that our membership should be up this month or next.

She had something to return, so I stayed outside until she was finished (with the carts) and then we were going to go into the store entrance after. I was casually looking around at the signs . . . and no gunbuster sign in sight. I looked again at the signs to make sure that they didn't just put it in text on one of the "membership rules" signs. Nope, not there either.

Wife comes out and I call her over to me and tell her that I don't see the sign anymore. She looks all over the front of the store. Can't find it. Then, I find the holes in the wall where the sign used to be. There's no scratches in the wall like the sign got hit with a cart and broke. There's no screw left over and the hole isn't widened like someone came and stole it. It's just . . . no longer there.

So of course, first thing I tell my wife is, "Wait!" I head back out to my car, got me EDC, and then we went shopping.

The interesting thing is that I sent them an email a month or so ago (sent it to the corporate VP in charge of customer service), and that person said they'd forward it to the right person. Of course, I thought that meant the recycle bin at the time. I haven't heard anything back from them either, but I did reference this store in particular.

Coincidence? More than likely. I am wondering however, if there's been a policy change. Has anyone see any changes at Costco? Maybe the sign just fell off? I'm happily befuddled at the moment.
    rugergunner and ArmyCop like this.

They are not going to change policy, they just took down the signs. They still are VERY anti-gun.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    I love me some Costco. I used to work for them (sales and marketing) when I was changing careers and needed a bridge from one to the other to keep health insurance, pay bills, etc while my wife and I figured out our next steps with 2 small kids. So they have a fond place in my heart. Jim Senegal (the old CEO) was a brilliant and humble leader (capped his salary at $350,000 and his office desk was a folding table), but knew he was also pretty liberal on the political spectrum. I am bummed to hear they are anti-gun...never knew it when I worked there. I'd still be a member there over Sam's if they were in my area. Some things go a little deeper for me even if you don't honor the 2A.
    ironmike86 and ninjahippie like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    Ours has the sign ( not WI legal) and it is mounted on the far exit side. No signs when you walk in. You have to look for it by the exit. I believe they know the signs are not legal size or in a correct placement.
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

My understanding is that the signs don't change the law. If you are legal to carry, you are legal to carry. However, if store personnel confront you about their policy and ask you to leave, you are then trespassing with a firearm if you don't leave.
    ArmyCop and BradL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timtron View Post
    My understanding is that the signs don't change the law. If you are legal to carry, you are legal to carry. However, if store personnel confront you about their policy and ask you to leave, you are then trespassing with a firearm if you don't leave.
    It's a state by state thing. I remember reading that in Arkansas if you carry in a store that has the signs posted, it is an automatic misdemeanor and you can have you license suspended for a certain time period.

Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    It's a state by state thing. I remember reading that in Arkansas if you carry in a store that has the signs posted, it is an automatic misdemeanor and you can have you license suspended for a certain time period.
    Yep, that's AZ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    So tonight we are coming back from the gun range and decide to stop at Costco. I casually tell my wife that I think we should our membership to Sam's club because of the gunbuster sign that Costco has out front. She agreed, and even stated that our membership should be up this month or next.

She had something to return, so I stayed outside until she was finished (with the carts) and then we were going to go into the store entrance after. I was casually looking around at the signs . . . and no gunbuster sign in sight. I looked again at the signs to make sure that they didn't just put it in text on one of the "membership rules" signs. Nope, not there either.

Wife comes out and I call her over to me and tell her that I don't see the sign anymore. She looks all over the front of the store. Can't find it. Then, I find the holes in the wall where the sign used to be. There's no scratches in the wall like the sign got hit with a cart and broke. There's no screw left over and the hole isn't widened like someone came and stole it. It's just . . . no longer there.

So of course, first thing I tell my wife is, "Wait!" I head back out to my car, got me EDC, and then we went shopping.

The interesting thing is that I sent them an email a month or so ago (sent it to the corporate VP in charge of customer service), and that person said they'd forward it to the right person. Of course, I thought that meant the recycle bin at the time. I haven't heard anything back from them either, but I did reference this store in particular.

Coincidence? More than likely. I am wondering however, if there's been a policy change. Has anyone see any changes at Costco? Maybe the sign just fell off? I'm happily befuddled at the moment.
    Which Costco? There are 3 near me and I'll have to keep an eye out to see if the signs have disappeared.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

No signs?
    Leave well enough alone...no more emails asking about the missing signs or company policies...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That is true for VA, but the laws vary from state to state. If you travel, prior to a trip review the laws of the states you'll be traveling through. It's the reason I have Handgunlaw.us bookmarked on every computer I own and my computer at work as well. The company I work for is gun friendly and several of the service tech's carry. If I know their service ticket is taking them out of state, I'll print out the rules for that state and give it to them before they head out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Our Costco has a gun buster sign, it's behind the counter on the BB at the very bottom by where the pictures are taken. Hmmmmmm not where it should be is it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No signs?
    Leave well enough alone...no more emails asking about the missing signs or company policies...IMHO
    Exactly. The removal of the sign, assuming it actually stays down, represents some type of shift in policy, even if it is not an "official" change. In today's unstable and highly politicized environment most smart companies are going to try and avoid the issue to the extent they can so they can stay out of the controversy. I would fully expect COSTCO and many others to have "official" anti 2A policies to appease the politicians and cover themselves legally, but to not enforce those policies so their customers aren't actually impacted or aware of the policy. My guess is that they are playing both sides of the fence.
    84160 and GSDSchutzhund like this.

Hey Ohiocatter,
    Which store do you go to? My wife and I shop the Avon store and haven't seen a sign. Do you carry regardless because of the misplaced sign?

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    They are not going to change policy, they just took down the signs. They still are VERY anti-gun.
    If they take down the signs (or in the case of two near me, have never had signs up) can they still be considered "VERY anti-gun"?
    niks likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

They probably just ordered BIGGER signs... that way they can feel even safer...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links