Maryland resident seeking PA. Non-resident Carry Permit

This is a discussion on Maryland resident seeking PA. Non-resident Carry Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, first post, just discovered this site. I'm a Maryland resident and have a question about obtaining a PA non-resident license, has anyone been through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland resident seeking PA. Non-resident Carry Permit

Maryland resident seeking PA. Non-resident Carry Permit

Greetings, first post, just discovered this site.

I'm a Maryland resident and have a question about obtaining a PA non-resident license, has anyone been through that? PA states that an applicant must have a carry permit from their home state if home state issues them. MD however is not a "shall issue" state, and it's virtually impossible for the average person to obtain one. Is it possible to obtain a non-resident PA license? BTW. For those who may suggest it, I already have a Utah and FLA license, they both were valid in PA until Feburary when PA no longer honors non-resident FLA permits. I'm fearful that PA will do the same thing with Utah in the future. Ive been traveling to PA for 25 years now, ~6 times a year for several days each. Thank you....

2. Remove Ads

Found the below information at Handgunlaw.us(Just click on PA on the map for PA law)
    If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Hey you, welcome here. Crowman has the good info so I am just jumping in here to make sure you stay and get hooked on DC, because we care, and this is the place to find good info (though check it = it is the internet) and I want you to be a member, for the long term.

That was one of the better run-on sentences I've done in awhile.

VIP Member
    Since it appears you will not be able to obtain a PA non-resident permit, look the other direction and get a VA non-resident permit, it will cover your PA travels.

BTW....Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you Gentlemen.

Geez, a perfect example of how the Maryland BS perpetuates itself to other states that otherwise respect the 2nd Amendment.

I'm headed to PA next week, perhaps I'll buy a piece of land and claim dual residency (joking, but kinda serious).

Speaking about run-on sentences, I've been looking for the answer here, not found it yet, I do have a Utah NR license which still buys me PA, I've read here that Utah has changed its laws in the last year. If I am truly a Non-resident of Utah, will I be able to renew upon expiration this summer? Some threads suggest they will only issue (renew) to those who have a. License in their home state, while other threads state they will issue a NR provided Utah and your home state do not have a reciprocity agreement. Again, thank you...... And BTW, great site,not sure how I've missed it so long

I would be very careful and conservative. I think you are wise if you consult a n attorney in the jurisdiction you are interested in rather than some gun board. Any legal argument you get into over the validity of a non-resident permit will cost big bucks and might result in a felony conviction if you are judged in the wrong. Is it worth the risk? Most non-resident permits seem to require a resident permit in order to obtain and might be the biggest issue. Only you know if it is worth the risk, because even if you are right, it can cost you big time.

VIP Member
    Hello, and welcome. I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that Sheriff Nau's office in Centre County is the most helpful and friendly issuing agency I have ever worked with when it comes to concealed carry licensing. I'm sure that they will give you straight information and all the help they can.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If you already have a Utah license you should be fine. That Florida permit issue is directly with the Florida permit that PA residents was getting them because you don't have to have a resident license of your home state.

So your Utah license is ok in coming into PA. Because right now they honor the Utah permit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkn View Post
    Greetings, first post, just discovered this site.

I'm a Maryland resident and have a question about obtaining a PA non-resident license, has anyone been through that? PA states that an applicant must have a carry permit from their home state if home state issues them. MD however is not a "shall issue" state, and it's virtually impossible for the average person to obtain one.
    But they DO issue them, and that is what screws (us) Maryland residents. If you get a Utah permit, PA currently recognizes that as far as I know. (They did drop Florida non-resident though.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I believe the non resident FL is ok for non-residents of PA, I thought I read that they won't recognize FL non res for residents of PA.

Quote Originally Posted by locotest View Post
    I believe the non resident FL is ok for non-residents of PA, I thought I read that they won't recognize FL non res for residents of PA.
    Nope. It is very clear: "....will give full faith and credit to a valid Concealed Handgun License issued by the State of Florida to legal residents of the State of Florida." No acceptance of non-resident Florida license holders. While the Florida license does not show your state of residence I am quite sure if you are showing it to a police officer, he has ready access to find out your state of residence. If you are not a resident of Florida, you will be in trouble carrying on the licence issued from Florida.

Utah makes you good to go. Our new state AG Kane ran on closing loopholes. Idiots bought into the BS. REAL facts were Philadelphia was screwing people so residents got Florida CCW to bypass the BS. In the mix there was a slight difference in requirements that got blown out of proportion. I tossed the letter I received but as I understood it the limitation on out of state licenses were for those living in PA.

On another note, one more Democrat who isn't after your guns. Sorry had to toss that one in for all the pre-election "tin foil" jokesters.

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    Utah makes you good to go. Our new state AG Kane ran on closing loopholes. Idiots bought into the BS. REAL facts were Philadelphia was screwing people so residents got Florida CCW to bypass the BS. In the mix there was a slight difference in requirements that got blown out of proportion. I tossed the letter I received but as I understood it the limitation on out of state licenses were for those living in PA.

On another note, one more Democrat who isn't after your guns. Sorry had to toss that one in for all the pre-election "tin foil" jokesters.
    Philadelphia is trying to keep the homeboys from getting guns. Stupid idiots criminals are going to commit gun crimes without a permit. Did these law makers fell on there heads lately. This is making me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by lmf1030 View Post
    Philadelphia is trying to keep the homeboys from getting guns. Stupid idiots criminals are going to commit gun crimes without a permit.
    That "may" have been the publicized intent of the revocation of FL non-resident reciprocity... but in reality it may have been more like a cover story.

As you stated, it's an answer to a problem that never existed (at least not in statistically significant numbers). Criminals, by definition, disregard the law... and therefore, gangsters don't bother getting licenses to carry, resident or non-resident, to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by msb45 View Post
    I tossed the letter I received but as I understood it the limitation on out of state licenses were for those living in PA. .
    No distinction is made for residents or non residents of PA. To carry on a Florida permit in PA, you must be a legal resident of Florida. As you noted, Utah is the way to go. And based on the reasoning used for the change in the Florida reciprocity agreement, Utah should be safe from similar actions by PA, as a PA resident can't get a Utah non resident permit without already having a PA permit and that was the basis for pushing for the change in the Florida agreement.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...florida_pa.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links