Cheap DIY Center Console "Holster" w/ pics

This is a discussion on Cheap DIY Center Console "Holster" w/ pics within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I decided to put something together that would allow my XD Subcompact to be holstered in the center console without bouncing around. Something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cheap DIY Center Console "Holster" w/ pics

This weekend I decided to put something together that would allow my XD Subcompact to be holstered in the center console without bouncing around. Something that doesn't require a bunch of hardware or $50 worth of kydex. This isn't how I store the pistol in the car (for that I use a Bulldog safe tethered to the seat), but a way to easily access it without contorting my body or trying to reach under my seatbelt. The IWB holsters I have are pretty comfortable while driving, but for me, just don't allow for a quick and safe draw. I drive about 3 hours a day, sometimes with co-workers, so I couldn't have a big old holster strapped to the side of my seat or anything.

This isn't pretty, certainly won't win any awards, but a quick trip to Walmart and you should have what you need. I apologize for the crappy cellphone photo's and the camera flash makes it look a lot dustier than it really is:

FYKkMbk.jpg

svPpGJz.jpg

I tried a few ways of doing this and realized a velcro base and strap would be the best way to go for me. Walmart sells these 2" x 3" industrial velcro patches with self-adhesive backs. I used one of those on the console itself and pulled an old velcro lined strap from a bag (grey ghost). This covers the trigger guard completely and holds my XD in place very well. I even re-purposed some of the foam inserts that I got with the XD case for the bottom of the console. All together I spent $2.94. My guess is you could fashion a velcro strap for less than $5 from Walmart or a fabric store.

I initially tried using a couple pancake holsters or even the paddle holster that came with the XD. One issue I ran into is if the retention is too tight, you could pull off the entire velcro patch. The fabric strap allows me to slide it out without issue and still holds its shape.
    Haywood likes this.

I'm looking to do the approximate thing myself. My vehicle has a good center console for this, and like you, can't afford to spend alot to make it happen. The Velcro holster looks like it works here. My new NRA sticker probably makes my vehicle target for a break-in so I never leave it inside though even with the alarm.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Nice idea. I have a deep center console in my F150 that would accommodate something like this. However, in Mass., the gun must be in "your direct control" and I'm not sure this would be legal here (not sure). So I keep my EDC holstered on my person at all times.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Nice idea. I have a deep center console in my F150 that would accommodate something like this. However, in Mass., the gun must be in "your direct control" and I'm not sure this would be legal here (not sure). So I keep my EDC holstered on my person at all times.
    Great point, make sure you know your laws before doing this. I drive a Honda Civic, so nothing gigantic. I am able to just fit my XD 4" Service if I wanted to.
    I am a big sucker usually for expensive accessories but made a point to DIY this one. Doesn't need to look pretty, just needs to be functional.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Nice little set up you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    Nice little set up you have there.
    Thanks. To be honest it does the job better than I thought it would. The velcro is nice too because I can essentially adjust the cant and positioning to fit my needs or remove the entire setup without trouble.

Distinguished Member
    What's the saying, neccesity breeds invention? I like it, a big fan of DIY projects with your own ideas. Simple, cheap and it works .
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

mkh
    Slick little setup,you have there.

So when you get to Wally World do you then conceal it and carry it inside or put it in the safe?

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Slick little setup,you have there.

So when you get to Wally World do you then conceal it and carry it inside or put it in the safe?
    I would conceal it and carry it inside. The safe is just for places that don't allow carry and I am forced to leave it in my vehicle.

Nice job!

I suggest keep an eye on the adhesive potentially failing under extreme heat. I've had things much lighter under the dash pull velcro adhesive loose in the summer.

... not that this isn't a "why didn't I think of that" moment. :D

VIP Member
    As long as you have a console deep enough to mount it, it's a good set up. The one in my truck isn't very deep, and is so full of "crap" I wouldn't be able to get to it anyway!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Very resourceful. Nice job. I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster that I discovered I didn't like for carry purposes. It is secured in a vertical position with a seat belt to the front of the seat within normal reach. I like it because the gun is locked in the holster but comes out easily with the push of a button. I cover it with a ball cap. It is more expensive than your arrangement but the holster was just taking up room in a drawer beforehand. Again, nice job.

For a few dollars more, you could also go with a cheap holster that already has the velcro sewn onto it, that will fully cover the trigger guard -- like this: Standard Holster - Tucker Gun Leather Store Just a thought.
    The Old Anglo and Chevyguy85 like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phisher34 View Post
    This weekend I decided to put something together that would allow my XD Subcompact to be holstered in the center console without bouncing around. Something that doesn't require a bunch of hardware or $50 worth of kydex. This isn't how I store the pistol in the car (for that I use a Bulldog safe tethered to the seat), but a way to easily access it without contorting my body or trying to reach under my seatbelt. The IWB holsters I have are pretty comfortable while driving, but for me, just don't allow for a quick and safe draw. I drive about 3 hours a day, sometimes with co-workers, so I couldn't have a big old holster strapped to the side of my seat or anything.

This isn't pretty, certainly won't win any awards, but a quick trip to Walmart and you should have what you need. I apologize for the crappy cellphone photo's and the camera flash makes it look a lot dustier than it really is:

FYKkMbk.jpg

svPpGJz.jpg

I tried a few ways of doing this and realized a velcro base and strap would be the best way to go for me. Walmart sells these 2" x 3" industrial velcro patches with self-adhesive backs. I used one of those on the console itself and pulled an old velcro lined strap from a bag (grey ghost). This covers the trigger guard completely and holds my XD in place very well. I even re-purposed some of the foam inserts that I got with the XD case for the bottom of the console. All together I spent $2.94. My guess is you could fashion a velcro strap for less than $5 from Walmart or a fabric store.

I initially tried using a couple pancake holsters or even the paddle holster that came with the XD. One issue I ran into is if the retention is too tight, you could pull off the entire velcro patch. The fabric strap allows me to slide it out without issue and still holds its shape.
    So now I have a question, as it sounds like we have the same gun... I want to set something up in my car that goes along side of my leg below the shifter... I drive a manual corolla... I would like for it to sit about mid-shin height so that it wouldn't be obviously there, but quick so I can reach it... I can't tell if your holster for your console makes it so the end of the barrel rests on the bottom? I guess I'm kind of wondering how sturdy it would be "floating" all of the weight. Let me know if this makes absolutely no sense, I'll try and clarify.. I'm about half asleep, sorry about that in advance... (I found an image online and circled about where I'd want it mounted, in hopes of clearing any potential confusion..)
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links