New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit

This is a discussion on New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New Mexico has added Alaska to the list of states it will honor. New Mexico is moving in the right direction after a year ago ...

Thread: New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit

New Mexico has added Alaska to the list of states it will honor. New Mexico is moving in the right direction after a year ago dropping all the states it honored but 5 and then reposting most of them after political pressure was put on those in charge of the Firearms Unit. AK has Constitutional Carry and anyone 21 or older who can legally own a firearm can carry one concealed. With Constitutional Carry AK doesnít need to make a statement that they will honor all other states permit/licenses but they do. Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

Pennsylvania announced it had signed a new agreement with Florida and no longer honors the FL Non-Resident. Rereading the Agreements Pennsylvaniaís Agreement with Maine states the same thing. PA will only Honor the Maine Resident Permit. I have contacted the PA AG asking them to note these issues for FL and ME on their website. Crime: Protecting Pennsylvania Against Crime - Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

North Dakota is reporting they are in the process of signing an agreement with Mississippi and they will not honor a MS Permit/License at this time. I canít understand why they are waiting for an agreement. North Dakota will honor anyone who honors them and they honor Iowa which by law can not sign agreements. Iowa just honors all other states Permit/Licenses. Since 7/1/12 Mississippi has honored all other states permit/licenses. So this agreement will be signed sometime in the future but not sure why ND is waiting for a signed agreement.
    Reciprocity with Other States

As I have stated previous in posts many things are changing concerning firearms in many states. Handgunlaw.us would appreciate a heads up on bills that have cleared both houses or signed by the governor. A link to the bill would be appreciated but a bill number is all I need to find the information. I want to thank those who have sent me information over the years. You assistance is very much appreciated.

These changes will be added to Handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Interesting distinctions. I hold non-resident permits from both Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, and it appears either permit will continue to be honored by both states.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    It appears PA may be going to only resident permits will be honored. Interesting move, one that will not endear them with the CC community.

Thanks for the updates Gary.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It appears PA may be going to only resident permits will be honored. Interesting move, one that will not endear them with the CC community.

Thanks for the updates Gary.
    The issue that PA had with FL non-resident is that a resident of PA could avoid getting a PA permit and could carry only on their non-resident FL permit because FL does not require that you have a permit in your home state. Unlike FL, Utah requires a permit applicant to have a permit from their home state, if they live in a shall issue state. So, to get a Utah permit as a resident of PA, you would first have to have a PA permit. That is what change with FL permit recognition accomplishes for them. They will continue to honor Utah non-resident because no PA resident could have one without already having a PA permit. Not so with a FL. While things could change in the future, that was the specific purpose of changing the policy for acceptance of a FL permit. I believe a change with Maine would be for the same reason. Main would issue a non-resident permit without the requirement that the applicant have a permit in their shall issue home state. PA wanted to make sure residents are carrying in PA on a PA permit and not on a non-resident permit from another state.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The Maine agreement was signed 10/25/11 before Kane came into office. I had missed that and only discovered it after the FL change. I reread all their agreements and spotted it. You can see it here. http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...-Agreement.pdf

You are correct about UT. It slipped my mind that UT now requires a permit/license from the person homes state if that state honors UT.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    The issue that PA had with FL non-resident is that a resident of PA could avoid getting a PA permit and could carry only on their non-resident FL permit because FL does not require that you have a permit in your home state. Unlike FL, Utah requires a permit applicant to have a permit from their home state, if they live in a shall issue state. So, to get a Utah permit as a resident of PA, you would first have to have a PA permit. That is what change with FL permit recognition accomplishes for them. They will continue to honor Utah non-resident because no PA resident could have one without already having a PA permit. Not so with a FL. While things could change in the future, that was the specific purpose of changing the policy for acceptance of a FL permit. I believe a change with Maine would be for the same reason. Main would issue a non-resident permit without the requirement that the applicant have a permit in their shall issue home state. PA wanted to make sure residents are carrying in PA on a PA permit and not on a non-resident permit from another state.
    Many people bypassed the BS in Philadelphia (Philadelphia requirements used to discourage permits). Our new DEMOCRAT AG is ANTI-GUN and is looking to close loopholes (minor differences in requirements).

Katherine Kane hates you for wanting to protect yourself, wants to ban so called "assault weapons", and will do anything she can to restrict your rights. So in the next election cycle we will see if we "Go Colorado". IMHO if you live in PA get your LTCF now and hope for some grandfathering. Also think carefully before you vote, For all those who said Democrats aren't anti-gun and the Obama comments were BS, here's your sign.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    The issue that PA had with FL non-resident is that a resident of PA could avoid getting a PA permit and could carry only on their non-resident FL permit because FL does not require that you have a permit in your home state.
    If that's their problem, banning FL non-resident permits was the most restrictive way to accomplish it. Better would have been to require PA residents have PA permits to carry in PA, and still honor FL non-resident permits. Since PA permits are shall issue, inexpensive, and have easy requirements, everybody wins. But no, they couldn't do that, which suggests an anti-gun agenda at work.

Links