What is the excuse for weeks and weeks of turnaround time for cc permits?

This is a discussion on What is the excuse for weeks and weeks of turnaround time for cc permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. In some states, the turnaround time for receiving your cc permit is about a week...and that includes receiving it in the mail. In ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What is the excuse for weeks and weeks of turnaround time for cc permits?

What is the excuse for weeks and weeks of turnaround time for cc permits?

Hi all.

In some states, the turnaround time for receiving your cc permit is about a week...and that includes receiving it in the mail.

In other states, I hear the wait is weeks and months. What is the reason for that, does anyone know?

I realize that some states have more requirements for their permits...but how long does it take those to be 'checked? The only checking is a signature, I'm sure. Are there delays in the instructors or agencies mailing them to the licensing authorities? Background checks take about 15 minutes.

And this issue has gone on through years and many different economic cycles, so I cant just chalk it up to recent budget cuts.

In some recent discussions we talked about the cost of mandatory training and/or cc permits as being a blocking issue for some people, intentionally so. We also discussed how such obstruction kept people like women in abusive situations from arming themselves in a reasonably quick manner.

Doesnt this long wait period do the same? Discourage people from applying and then placing an unfair burden on them regarding their safety? If they have a real need, then their choice of protection might be months away.

Why are there such long wait periods in some states or counties?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Some states use all of the time allowed by law. All around the country we have a lot of new people getting their permits. My guess is that they are overwhelmed with applications.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Since the "assault on the 2nd" class sizes have grown along with the amount of applicants , if one class is doubled compare that to the entire state's attendance and realize in most cases the folks processing them have not increased at all.

In KY the instructors by law only have five days to get the info to the state, the Sheriff's office MUST have the application to the State Police within five days also. I think in most cases (but not all states) it is simply the demand/numbers have increased so much and at such a rapid rate they are simply overwhelmed.

In my state,i was told,for a while,there was only one person,who started the application process,when it's sent in.I have no clue,whether,it's true or not.Every person,i've talked to here,so far as the time limit,are all telling me it took them 90 days to get their's back.That's about what it took mine.Seems 90 days must be the norm,in S.C. anyway.

In Ohio, they have 45 days to process the app. Depends on which county you sign up in, I've been waiting 3 weeks, my wife's best friend went to different county and has hers in under a week.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Please read my OP....these long periods predate current economic situations, personnel issues, and Newtown.

And people bring up a very good point. Some states have *designated* long wait periods. That is intentional.

So again, why?

Just IMO, more than a month, 30 days, is unnacceptable and if that is the case, I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Please read my OP....these long periods predate current economic situations, personnel issues, and Newtown.

And people bring up a very good point. Some states have *designated* long wait periods. That is intentional.

So again, why?

Just IMO, more than a month, 30 days, is unnacceptable and if that is the case, I'd like to understand the reasoning behind it.
    Why? Because its the government. The only time they do something fast is when they want your money.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Why does it take the irs so long to process tax returns??

In Arkansas, the excuse is the "Background Check". I'm sure if it were not for that, then they'd be much quicker. A recent "re-certify" took 79 days to get it back. And the background check was their excuse. It's funny, since the background check was ran when the initial license was issued, and nothing happened in the time period since. Thus, common sense says it should be a shoo in, but not the case. Maybe dragging their feet, means "Job Security".

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Hi all.

In some states, the turnaround time for receiving your cc permit is about a week...and that includes receiving it in the mail.

In other states, I hear the wait is weeks and months. What is the reason for that, does anyone know?

I realize that some states have more requirements for their permits...but how long does it take those to be 'checked? The only checking is a signature, I'm sure. Are there delays in the instructors or agencies mailing them to the licensing authorities? Background checks take about 15 minutes.

And this issue has gone on through years and many different economic cycles, so I cant just chalk it up to recent budget cuts.

In some recent discussions we talked about the cost of mandatory training and/or cc permits as being a blocking issue for some people, intentionally so. We also discussed how such obstruction kept people like women in abusive situations from arming themselves in a reasonably quick manner.

Doesnt this long wait period do the same? Discourage people from applying and then placing an unfair burden on them regarding their safety? If they have a real need, then their choice of protection might be months away.

Why are there such long wait periods in some states or counties?
    In PA it can be as soon as over night. They pretty much only check to see if the references exist and if you pass the same background check as is required to buy a gun.

In NYS, it takes a long time. They do more checking, and have to jump through more hoops, but there is still no reason for it to take as long as it does - like 6 to 12 months. There is a lot of inbox time in that process I think.

My Utah permit went pretty quickly considering how many they process. They issued the permit even though the finger prints were't acceptable. So I had the permit in hand while I obtained a better set of finger prints. I went to the local State Police Station and they did them for me on their electronic machine - it sees prints on 71 year old worn out fingers much better than the smudgy ink. I thought they had their priorities right - they'd already run the background check so the finger prints were just for their database.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

So again, why?

That's the other pathetic thing about government. There doesn't have to be any rational basis for what they do. It can be on a whim, and often is.

My wife and I were in a local restaurant. Two postal employees were eating lunch at the next table. We knew they were Post Office employees because of their uniforms. They were grousing about the possibility of shutting down Saturday mail delivery, and listing things they could do to slow things down during the week to make it take longer to deliver the mail. We didn't say anything, but neither my wife or I were surprised at their attitude.

"I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." Yeah, right.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

I agree that it's unacceptable but my state does it too. I think there are two reasons why. One is because the leadership of the department (DPS) that administers the process was actually opposed to the issuance of permits in the first place. Now they are reluctantly complying with the law... emphasis on 'reluctantly'.

Secondly, it always seemed to me that the maximum turnaround time was being used as an unofficial 'waiting period'... lest the rumors of wild west shootouts by hot-headed grudge bearers ever come to fruition.

Of course DPS will never admit to anything of the sort, they simply say they are 'handling permit applications within the guidelines provided by state law'.
    9MMare likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Because generally speaking government employees are lazy to begin with , I have seen this first hand with the election dept. When you take lazy people and stretch them thin they really could give a crap less.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some states issue permits by county thru the sheriffs department, which ust deal only with that county's residents. Others, like FL, are "state" issued and all applications--for both residents and non-residents--must filter thru one department.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'd say the only legitimate excuse is: temporary spike beyond manpower levels.

Of course, there are probably a couple of simple explanations, in some states: ie, desire to stretch it out as long as lawfully possible (despite no checks taking anywhere near that long).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links