Defensive Carry banner

Post Office Carry ?

18K views 206 replies 51 participants last post by  Aceoky 
#1 ·
I'm getting conflicting answers on this.

I can not find any good answer.

This is from the Louisiana State Police on prohibited areas - no mention of post office.

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
A detention facility, prison, or jail;
A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
A polling place;
A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
The state capitol building;
Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
18 USC 930 and the federal restriction against carry on federal properties is worth reviewing.

A quickie internet search brings up this: Concealed Carry in the Post Office - U.S. v Murray @ The Gun Zone RKBA.

Here's a lawsuit in Colorado, from back in 2010, regarding the question:
Colorado Couple Challenge USPS Ban Of Firearms on Postal Property. Provides a decent summary of some of the regulations/laws that apply.

Plenty of other discussions, summaries out there that evaluate the limitations and applicability of the "exceptions" language regarding Post Office carry.

#5 ·
Not only can you not carry a gun but the Post Office say no to WEAPONS. I work there 6 days a week and I do carry a knife but hopefully I can make the case it is a tool needed to preform my job, as there are strings and straps to be cut.

#100 ·
Is that rule for the next time a post office employee goes ballistic ?

#6 ·
Not Allowed:

US Code Title 18
§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to— (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

#8 ·
US Code Title 18 § 930(d)(3).

or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
Seemingly, being prepared for the lawful defense of one's own life would be such a purpose. One would think that section (d)(3) of the regulation would make CHL carry lawful, but to my knowledge this hasn't been successfully challenged and become the "new normal" yet. Sadly. :frown:

#7 ·
The post office I go to does not have any signs about guns.

Only one sign and it says no dogs, except "seeing eye dogs".

I will check again (not-carrying)

I really never thought about it - and i can probably recite the prohibited areas that are on the Louisiana State Police site.

Wish they would add post office if it's not permitted

#12 ·
I really never thought about it - and i can probably recite the prohibited areas that are on the Louisiana State Police site.

Wish they would add post office if it's not permitted
They don't list because it's not a state violation, it's a "federal" violation.

Reactions: bigmacque
#9 ·
(3) the lawful carryingof firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

#10 ·
Looks like we both posted the same thing at the same time - my apologies

#32 ·
You are correct. UPS stores are privately owned. I've had a mailbox at a local UPS store for 20 years now (started when is was a Mail Boxes Etc.).
The owner carries, he knows I carry and we've chatted about it more times than I can count... usually as he's handing me a heavy box with an ORM-D sticker on it :)

#13 ·
Direct from the LA Handgun Law Pamphlet:

This pamphlet does not include all Federal laws pertaining to firearms. You must observe both Federal and State laws. Federal law is administered by Federal agencies. For information relative to Federal regulation of firearms, you may contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

Reactions: bigmacque
#14 ·
US Postal Service regulations (39 cfr 232.1(l)), which have the force of federal law, prohibit weapons in post office facilities.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2003-title39-vol1/pdf/CFR-2003-title39-vol1-part232.pdf

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
You may choose to act as you choose. IANAL and I do not dispense legal advice.

Ken

#15 ·
#16 ·
a) Except as provided in subsection (d)...

(d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

Seems like we have a very clear permit to carry, as long as we're legally permitted to carry. Concealed is concealed. None of the pist offices I visit has any signs posted.

#18 ·
See post # 14. Postal service made themselves another, more stringent rule in the CFR. That's what's being challenged in the Bonidy case.

The whole issue of post offices being GFZ is a prime example of the federal government being the biggest of infringers. How is the post office lobby/box area a "sensitive area" when the customer counter area is closed? Should I have need or desire to drop off a package or check my PO box at 2am, wouldn't it be prudent to have a self defense weapon at hand?

#17 ·
Federal law trumps state law. Leave your gun out of the P.O. Unless you want to be taken away be the po-po. I don't think you want a criminal trial to test the contours of statutory construction of "other lawful purpose."

#22 ·
Straight: it's unlawful and you'll find your head on a spike, until the regulations are erased from the books, per 18 USC 930.

#24 ·
Whether or not its a Federal Building is a moot point. You can debate that all day long but it doesn't matter

because;

It's specifically off limits in its own specific "Code of Federal Regulations" (39 cfr) posted earlier around post 14. A CFR is a federal law. The USPS has its own special CFR

(l)
Weapons and explosives.
No person
while on postal property may carry
firearms, other dangerous or deadly
weapons, or explosives, either openly
or concealed, or store the same on
postal property, except for official pur-
poses.

#28 ·
OP, keep the guns out of the P.O.

If you are really concerned, find a criminal lawyer in your jurisdiction and ask his or her advice. Chances are you will pay the lawyer to get the same practical advice.

#71 ·
Ah-ha :thinkerg:

One reason the post office is losing money is people are using alternate means of shipping packages where they can carry.

Making carry at the post office (or anywhere) illegal only stops legal carry, criminals are not going to see the sign and walk away. :kicknuts:

#35 ·
...back in the early part of the century, a lot of small-town post offices were in stores...off in a corner behind a window...I remember in a book about Postal Inspectors that the burglars would chalk a line around the P.O. window area and write..."we did not go in here" to keep the PI from going after them...amusing but the PI were relentless...

#40 ·
...if your vehicle's on USPS property, and you have a weapon in the glove compartment, you just broke the law...your car, your pocket, your briefcase..on their property...it won't fly...they're kinda particular about it...it don't take a magic trick to simply park off of USPS property and walk a few steps...we could argue all night but we gave the OP the law...it's up to each one of us to follow it...or not...

...my Mama used to tell me "I can't make you do it, but I can make you wish you had..."

#42 ·
MY "vehicle" is what is ON the property what is LEGALLY in my vehicle is ON/IN MY property and the Ky Supreme court made that clear to UK not too long ago. Castle Doctrine applies to one's vehicle in fact . I agree it's simple to not park on USPS lots , however I do NOT believe for one second legally carrying and abiding by the law by NOT taking weapons into the building is getting anyone "busted left and right" please feel free to show me some cases prosecuted on legal carriers.

#41 ·
I'm Not going to be "the test case" there is no reason for anyone to want to search my vehicle and in Ky I'm not guessing Fed parking lot or not ;)- it would take a Fed to KNOW it was there and to REALLY want to pursue that- doubtful is a major understatement around these parts.

Because the PO parking here is so small (LOL) most folks park on the street and I'm pretty sure that is NOT Postal property anyway . Like I said IF you have a legal right to carry (and do) you folks tell me (and everyone) what pray tell do you do with your weapon(s) IF as you seem to believe putting in the glove box is also illegal? Unless you're a very good magician you have painted yourselves into a corner- which I do not believe exists in reality at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.