Gun Free Zone mobile app

This is a discussion on Gun Free Zone mobile app within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has potential be a handy tool. Want to know if a business or property is posted? There's an app for that. The (free) Gun ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By skeetsak
  • 1 Post By ImperiusRex

Thread: Gun Free Zone mobile app

Gun Free Zone mobile app

This has potential be a handy tool. Want to know if a business or property is posted? There's an app for that. The (free) Gun Free Zone interactive app for iPhone or Android appears to allow users to note whether a location is posted or not.

The app is user-based, relying on consumers to tag local businesses. Obviously, it relies on multiple users posting the locations as gun free or not. I plan to start identifying places as I go about my daily business. Seems to me that as others get on board with this we'll know before we get to the front door.

Apparently the app is getting lots of local news and some UK coverage. Curiously, it was developed by a gun control advocate: "I feel safer in a gun free zone, so I'm going to go into your theater as opposed to the one down the street, that's the real immediate benefit to the app right now," app creator John Peden said. ...Peden is a gun rights advocate. He and his business partner, Karl Hale, came up with the Gun Free Zone app.

(From the Oklahoma's Own - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | New App Shows Gun Friendly, Gun Free Businesses story.)
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm confused. First your post says "Curiously, it was developed by a gun control advocate:" Then the post says, "app creator John Peden said. ...Peden is a gun rights advocate."
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Downloaded this app last week on my android, but in a 25 mile radius from my house there is not 1 business that has been labeled for either side. guess i'll have a lot of leg work to do in my neck of the woods! seems like it could be beneficial to those of us who carry and also for those who want to know the easiest targets for a hold up IMHO.

My first thought was:
    They could easily use this info to track CCW holders. Anyone who has this app would be flagged and drop into a list of other flagged CCW holders. Cell phone companies can track your phones GPS signal whenever you carry your phone and it only takes about 4 points to determine who is holding that cellphone.

Then I started thinking:
    They are well aware who has a CCW permit since we applied with the government, so who cares. I'll be downloading this app tonight because it's a great idea!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

also for those who want to know the easiest targets for a hold up I
    This was my initial reaction

You guys that can't live without your cell phones could just take out those batteries too.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Garbage in/garbage out. If it's not posted on the entrance, it makes no difference what the app says.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

^^^^^^ 100% agree and even posted OldVet as long as it doesn't fall under 790 were OK
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    This was my initial reaction
    Same here.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

"hey criminals come rob us! You can even use google maps to help you get here as fast a possible!"
    Aceoky likes this.

The app seems fairly simple. No registration to limit user tracking. Kinda nice to be able to look up a few places in advance, say some restaurant you want to try our or what not.

Conspiracy theorists could claim that this app is put in place by an anti 2A group that wants an easy way to data-mine businesses that allow so that they can contact them and try to persuade to change their stance. They would have us do all the hard work and research for them...

Anyways, I'll play around with it a bit. Not sure if it will get much use once the novelty wears off though.
    Aceoky likes this.

Oldvet makes a great point, and in Washington State even the sign holds no weight of law. I found a website that has more info in the same category. friendorfoe.us seems to be more entries as it may have been around longer than this new app.
    as for ddclancy's initial thoughts, i believe that there are a good portion of folks who would use the app or site that are looking for places that do not allow firearms as they are "more secure" knowing that some joe blow legal carry gun nut is not there endangering their little "it can't happen to me" world. criminals will be criminals no matter what the sign on your front door says and I believe that you are asking for an intrusion by said criminal when you post that no-one on the premises has any personal protection.

Links