Something I've been wondering about lately

This is a discussion on Something I've been wondering about lately within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spent a few weeks in Hokido (sp) in the early 80's and was shocked to walk down the street and see the keys still in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something I've been wondering about lately

Japan

Spent a few weeks in Hokido (sp) in the early 80's and was shocked to walk down the street and see the keys still in everyones car.Personaly I wish they'd start showing some executions nationaly televised might just make the next perp think twice before commiting the crime
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

2. Remove Ads

Honor and the family unit. To most asians Family comes before the Individual. From the time they are very young children they are taught to not bring dishonor to the family.

Great Post!!!! Thanks for the info....
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

You mean the Japanese take responsibility for their own actions? How strange. I thought it was the other guys fault which is why I had to rob you of your money because you didn’t provide me with a high paying job with zero job skills.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Japan and China also deal with their criminals, instead of pandering to them.
    I don't know how harsh Japan is, but China is known to be a bit eager with their death penalty. Of course, there are always new criminals coming up, so it's not really necessarily a deterrent, but I don't care. I don't look to anything in the criminal justice system to be a deterrent, because I know there will always be crimes committed by those who don't give a moment's thought to the penalties because they believe they won't get caught. So the best we can really hope for is that when one commits a crime, the punishment is swift, and removes that malefactor from our midst.

I am also not convinced that the countries mentioned don't have a decent amount of crime that we simply don't learn of. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't know how harsh Japan is, but China is known to be a bit eager with their death penalty. Of course, there are always new criminals coming up, so it's not really necessarily a deterrent, but I don't care. I don't look to anything in the criminal justice system to be a deterrent, because I know there will always be crimes committed by those who don't give a moment's thought to the penalties because they believe they won't get caught. So the best we can really hope for is that when one commits a crime, the punishment is swift, and removes that malefactor from our midst.

I am also not convinced that the countries mentioned don't have a decent amount of crime that we simply don't learn of. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    The death penalty is a deterent, while it is specific deterent. The criminal once they are executed will never escape or harm anyone else. The death penalty is supposed to punish. There is something unequivcally just about a bad guy paying for his crimes with his life when he takes another. Believe me it is a bitter pill to swallow when a criminal is still alive when a loved one was killed-that isn't just.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I don't know about Japan but isn't China's tv stations and all newspapers controlled by the state? You hear and see what they want you too.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Both Japan and China are police states. The only difference between them is that Japan has (recently) been relatively benevolent. The world complains about how we treat prisoners in Gitmo but turns a blind eye to how Japan treats "suspects" in custody.
    I read in an old NRA handout that the rights of the accused in Japan are a small fraction of the rights of those in the U.S. It's strange indeed that those farthest left in the U.S. condemn the U.S. itself, but not countries like Japan. Instead, they tell us that we should adopt the GUN laws of countries like Japan, but make no mention of the rest of the draconian crap that goes on there.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I read in an old NRA handout that the rights of the accused in Japan are a small fraction of the rights of those in the U.S. It's strange indeed that those farthest left in the U.S. condemn the U.S. itself, but not countries like Japan. Instead, they tell us that we should adopt the GUN laws of countries like Japan, but make no mention of the rest of the draconian crap that goes on there.
    Indeed. The Japanese police are able to keep somone in custody for questioning for up to 48 hours before filing formal arrest charges or (more commonly) requesting a 10 day extension of their "investigation". During this time you have NO right to speak with an attorney. If and when you *are* granted access to an attorney, you have NO RIGHT TO PRIVACY! A police officer sits in the room with you and your attorney, and in the case of foreigners, are often told that they MUST SPEAK JAPANESE if a police translator/bilingual police officer is not available.

This link on Japanese gun control (Thanks to Brian!) does an EXCELLENT job of explaining what goes on here. Some of the info is out of date or a bit exaggerated (example: rifles ARE legal to buy/own. A co-worker's husband had one for hunting) ,but basically 98% dead on.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I was feeling bad the other day about not being a world traveler, but why would I want to go some place where I have no rights as far as any government believes
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Japan and China also deal with their criminals, instead of pandering to them.
    Ain't that the truth, those jails are not the place to go.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Well said Bushido.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links