Concealed Carry restrictions

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry restrictions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the state of Texas and most other states there are places you can't carry. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these limits? Schools Hospitals ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry restrictions

Concealed Carry restrictions

In the state of Texas and most other states there are places you can't carry. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these limits?

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

Places where alcohol is over 51% of business (this one I could maybe agree with)

Also why would a business put up the 30.06 banning CCers from carrying?

2. Remove Ads

Government buildings cannot be restricted unless they share a building with others that have posted 30.06 (federal is separate)

As for the reasoning; you will get many different answers, but they were made into law. Once they exist they are difficult to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH
    Many gun laws have absolutely no rhyme or reason. I've given up trying to figure them out.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Just my way of thinking. Many people perform mercy killings in hospitals and nursing homes. A sign or law is not going to stop this from happening. People violate laws all the time.

There are some laws that do not make sense.

Schools: As we have seen a lot of school shootings take place. We have made these no gun zones into criminal safe zones. The criminals know there will be only token resistence to their crimes in gun free zones so they can do as they please until a good guy shows up with a gun. Many times once a good guy arrives with a gun, he is then treated as a criminal. A kid shot and killed a few in a school several years ago in MS. A principal retreived a gun from his vehicle and stopped the boy from shooting others. He was hailed as a hero by the community but labeled a felon by the Feds since he had a gun on school property.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    In the state of Texas and most other states there are places you can't carry. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind these limits?

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

Places where alcohol is over 51% of business (this one I could maybe agree with)

Have you been through your CHL class yet? If so, you were given some bad info.

Hospitals/Nursing homes are not off limits unless there is a valid 30.06 sign. Government buildings (State, County, or Local) are not off limits, unless they have a court room or court office in them, and even if they do put up a 30.06 sign it is meaningless unless there is a govenmental meeting taking place at the time.

Why a business would put up a 30.06 sign is a matter of the business owner/managers thought process. Around here the only places that have signs are the hospitals. I think their reasoning is that people may be distressed by the news of a loved ones medical condition or death and they don't want folks going off on a tangent.

Whether that is a valid concern or not can be debated. But if you are found in violation of the 30.06 code, it is a Class A misdemeanor, and that isn't a risk I am willing to take.

For state purposes, here are the prohibited places.

Court room or any building containing court offices.

Polling place on day of election or during early voting.

Secure Area of airport

Bar

Racetrack

Within 1000 feet of location on day of execution.

Fails to conceal the handgun.

Correctional facility.

School Premises or place where school function is taking place.

High School, collegiant or professional sporting event.

Any place except a gov. building which has a valid 30.06 sign.
    USM1976 and BobbyLee like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Because they say so. These things are usually to comply with federal law (polling place) but mostly to appease the liberal lawmakers in an attempt to gain their support.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post

Schools

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Government buildings

In Virginia only 2 of those apply. Federal Government buildings, courts and Kindergarten-High School. The rest are legal to carry. As to why it is like that. It was basically compromise to get the initial laws through and never been changed. VA has a very active Grassroots organization that pushes for changes to our laws.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have used this page off and on when I am curious if I can CC in a certain place.
    http://doubleactionchl.com/cheatsheet.php?kw

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Quote Originally Posted by Funkybassplayer View Post
    I have used this page off and on when I am curious if I can CC in a certain place.
    Houston CHL Class | Concealed Handgun License | DoubleActionCHL.com

-BTO-
    I took my CHL class with Tracy and Double Action CHL. Excellent instructor for those in North Houston. I highly recommend him.
    Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. - Samuel Houston

If you've ever driven across Texas, you know how different one area of the state can be from another. Take El Paso. It looks as much like Dallas as I look like Jack Nicklaus.
    Lee Trevino

It's because the anti-gunners realize they couldn't come for your guns all at once, so they are whittling away at the second amendment with "reasonable" measures. It's not that it protects anyone from crazy people.

Houston CHL Class | Concealed Handgun License | DoubleActionCHL.com

-BTO-
    They really should remove the section on hospitals/amusement park/churches/governmental meeting, as it simply falls under the 30.06 statute like anything else.

Texas on the other hand should have stricken that portion of the law when they changed it 15 years ago or so, since many people fail to continue to read the statute where it reads that these sections do not apply without effective notice under 30.06, which makes them the same as any other place in the state.

The first thing I do when I get to this portion in our classes is have the student mark these sections with a big bracket and put 30.06 outside of it and explain these sections no longer apply.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    They really should remove the section on hospitals/amusement park/churches/governmental meeting, as it simply falls under the 30.06 statute like anything else.

Texas on the other hand should have stricken that portion of the law when they changed it 15 years ago or so, since many people fail to continue to read the statute where it reads that these sections do not apply without effective notice under 30.06, which makes them the same as any other place in the state.

The first thing I do when I get to this portion in our classes is have the student mark these sections with a big bracket and put 30.06 outside of it and explain these sections no longer apply.
    I see what you are saying about cutting that section out of the page but its a couple years old and I just use it for quick reference.

And who needs a gun at Six Flags anyways? Lol

-BTO-
    -BTO-

I see what you are saying about cutting that section out of the page but its a couple years old and I just use it for quick reference.

And who needs a gun at Six Flags anyways? Lol

-BTO-
    Who needed a gun at the Chuck-E-Cheese where 4 people were killed and 1 was injured in 1993.

Florida has a long and bizarre list of restrictions:

any school, college, or professional athletic event (are Marlins fans that dangerous?)
    any school administration building (no kids to "protect"!?!)
    any area vocational-technical center (isn't this usually for adults?)
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport (ask AZ about their airport shootouts)
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district (do we scare our overlords?)
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof (ditto)
    any polling place (has anybody ever shot up one?)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Florida has a long and bizarre list of restrictions:

any school, college, or professional athletic event (are Marlins fans that dangerous?)
    any school administration building (no kids to "protect"!?!)
    any area vocational-technical center (isn't this usually for adults?)
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport (ask AZ about their airport shootouts)
    any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district (do we scare our overlords?)
    any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof (ditto)
    any polling place (has anybody ever shot up one?)
    Not aware of any being shot up, however it was a common intimidation practice in the past.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links