Texas 30.06 Database (Or Equivalent for Your State)

This is a discussion on Texas 30.06 Database (Or Equivalent for Your State) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is just something that crossed my mind and I'd like some opinions on it. With all the hoops we jump through to obtain our ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: Texas 30.06 Database (Or Equivalent for Your State)

Lightbulb Texas 30.06 Database (Or Equivalent for Your State)

This is just something that crossed my mind and I'd like some opinions on it.

With all the hoops we jump through to obtain our license, it's a little disheartening when you see the ol' 30.06 sign on the door. However, I understand and respect people's wishes and I'll simply lock my gun in the truck or do business elsewhere. What I was thinking is that there should be a State database that businesses have to register with in order to post such a sign. Just a simple registration process that must be completed before the sign is placed in the window, that way we can know for certain whether a place is posted. I know there are community updated sites, however this would be a State database and would be kept much more up to date with all businesses that currently have the sign in the window.

An example of where the sign can come back to haunt you is a hospital or a church. In Texas, you are allowed to carry in a hospital or a church unless there is the legal 30.06 sign posted on the entrance. However, they only have to have one sign, yet can have multiple entrances. To enter through a side entrance could mean you completely miss the 30.06 sign and would therefore be putting your license in jeopardy and possibly facing criminal charges. With everything we go through, would you be opposed to a State database that a business has to register with before being able to post the sign? It makes sense to me to have a legitimate site that you could look at and know 100% whether or not you are legal to carry in that particular business without worrying whether or not you missed the sign.

I suppose this could apply to a 51% sign as well, though it's much more common sense based for bars. You can pretty much tell whether or not the business establishment you're about to walk into makes 51% or more of its income off of booze.

-Amperius

2. Remove Ads

Something like Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource?

Its maintained by observant volunteers, but its something.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Something like Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource?

Its maintained by observant volunteers, but its something.
    Yes, that was the site I was referring to when I said "community updated sites." It is a nice start, however, I know that it is not 100% up to date. In Dallas, there are 75+/- listings. I'd assume there are many more than that in such a large town as Dallas. In my town, there are two listings. I know for certain that there is a lot more than two signs in my town. If that's the case here, I could assume that would be the case across many towns in Texas. There are nearly 585,000 CHL holders in Texas as of 2012 and a population of 26,000,000+ in Texas. Less than 2.5% of Texas residents are CHL holders. Of that 2.5% I would think very few consistently update such a volunteer website. I don't know, it just made sense to me to have a business register to a State maintained database that would allow us to know without a doubt whether or not we could carry on the premesis.

-Amperius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida is pretty simple. The only places I've seen No Gun signs that aren't off limits by state statute are Toys/Babies-r-Us. I've never seen one at any other business.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For 51% signs just go to the TABC web site and do a "Public Inquiry". If the business is labeled "Gun Sign = Blue" you are good to go. If it is labeled "Gun Sign = Red" it is a no go to carry.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

TABC Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Florida is pretty simple. The only places I've seen No Gun signs that aren't off limits by state statute are Toys/Babies-r-Us. I've never seen one at any other business.
    In Florida, Circle K is also anit-gun.

VIP Member
    I don't think that the state should run such a gun buster posting site for the same reasons I don't think it should register firearms owners. Now, if a business or group of volunteers wants to publish such a list, I have no problems with that.
    USM1976 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

So, the government can't publicly disclose information of individuals with carry permits, but they should publicly disclose information of businesses that are gun-free zones?
    There shouldn't be firearm registration, but there should be business no-gun registration?
    USM1976 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I was going through the web site and noticed that 1 of the movie theaters the I frequent (AMC in the Katy Mills Mall) has a 30.06 sign (according to the web site) at the ticket booth. I have never seen this sign. I have carried into that theater on more than one occasion. Next time I am at the mall, I will have to specifically look for the sign. If so, I guess I will be going the Cinemark down the street.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Links