Live in MO traveling to Tenn.

This is a discussion on Live in MO traveling to Tenn. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless federal law prohibits guns where I need to carry(all the obvious places), I continue about my day with my gun concealed because signs do ...

Thread: Live in MO traveling to Tenn.

Live in MO traveling to Tenn.

Unless federal law prohibits guns where I need to carry(all the obvious places), I continue about my day with my gun concealed because signs do not carry the weight of the law in MO. Although Tenn. accepts my CCW, their signs do hold the Law. I contacted Tenn. state police in regards to my up coming vacation just to make sure I am good to go in state/national parks, and they informed that I will be fine, but recommended that I stay concealed to avoid upsetting the many tourists in the smoky mountain area. My vacation will mostly be outdoors, but the wife might want to see a show in a town close by. Since I ignore the many kinds of custom "no gun" signs at the mall/businesses/other public property in Missouri, because its not illegal, I'm not sure what to look for in Tenn. and do not wish to break the law. I'm not sure what all the different kinds of signs look like. What does a legal "no guns" sign look like in Tenn.? Where should I avoid? Anything else I should consider?

2. Remove Ads

From Handgunlaw.us
    “No Firearm” signs in Kentucky have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
    mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
    specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
    leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
    to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
    been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
    are within the law.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    Unless federal law prohibits guns where I need to carry(all the obvious places), I continue about my day with my gun concealed because signs do not carry the weight of the law in MO. Although Tenn. accepts my CCW, their signs do hold the Law. I contacted Tenn. state police in regards to my up coming vacation just to make sure I am good to go in state/national parks, and they informed that I will be fine, but recommended that I stay concealed to avoid upsetting the many tourists in the smoky mountain area. My vacation will mostly be outdoors, but the wife might want to see a show in a town close by. Since I ignore the many kinds of custom "no gun" signs at the mall/businesses/other public property in Missouri, because its not illegal, I'm not sure what to look for in Tenn. and do not wish to break the law. I'm not sure what all the different kinds of signs look like. What does a legal "no guns" sign look like in Tenn.? Where should I avoid? Anything else I should consider?
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your visit. Here's the specific law regarding posting in the state of Tennessee.

(b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

(c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Most of what I have encountered have been the traditional gun buster signs. Something along the lines of this.

no guns.gif

Sometimes they will cite the specific law. At other times it just says "No Weapons Allowed" or something similar. The key provision, in my opinion, is that the sign has to be plainly visible to the average person.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

handgunlaw.us will give you all the info you need.

Links