Carrying Concealed Firearm in Vehicle Between Reciprocal States

This is a discussion on Carrying Concealed Firearm in Vehicle Between Reciprocal States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive me if this has been covered before. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a resident CCW permit for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Carrying Concealed Firearm in Vehicle Between Reciprocal States

Carrying Concealed Firearm in Vehicle Between Reciprocal States

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a resident CCW permit for PA. I often travel to WV, and occationally to Charlotte NC (through WV, VA). WV, VA, and NC are all reciprocal states with PA so in this situation I'm always in a reciprocal state. My question is regarding the Federal Interstate Transportation of Firearms law. It seems to me that it requires me to have the firearm in a separate compartment, or to be otherwise inaccessable if I am transporting across state lines even if it is from one reciprocal state to another. Am I reading this correctly? If that is in fact the case, at what point may I start to carry my firearm since it is a reciprocal state? Do I have to exit my vehicle? Do I have to arrive at my final destination? I guess I'm asking at what point it ceases to be transporting and what point it becomes legally carrying in a recoprocal state?

Or is all of this a mute point, because individual state law would rule?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IANAL so take this for what it is. If you are always in a state that honors your permit keep it holstered and abide by the laws of the state in which you are at that time. That is the whole point of reciprocity. I have not verified any of the assertions you made in the OP.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Try looking at Handgunlaw.us, Gary provides a lot of information concerning every state.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks guys. I'm looking at handgunlaw.us which is where I'm getting confused. This is the Federal portion that I'm referring to :

"Federal Law:
    926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

That seems to say that it must be in a separate compartment or inaccessable if I'm traveling across state lines. It does not mention anything about whether the state is reciprocal or not.

No you are perfectly legal keeping your gun on you,the Federal Transport laws are for people traveling through a state that does not recognize their Concealed carry license or for people that don't have a Concealed carry license
    oldman45 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The above poster is correct. The Federal regulation is for those not having concealed permits or those without legal standing in the various states.

Yet remember, the Rule was written originally about the mid 60's and only revised a few times. Carry laws in and between states have changed a lot over the years and Federal law does not always keep current.

It is always best to be sure of the current laws in the states through which you will be travelling.

A lot of states are even less stringent than that Federal law. So the "not withstanding any State laws..." reference might be beneficial to know. For instance, our state, allows anyone to travel through or within it with the gun, loaded, and in an unlocked console or glove box. So it might be useful to know what these are in each state.

Thanks, that is the type of information that I was looking for. I was just making sure that I was reading the Federal law correctly, and determining if the Federal law or State law was what I needed to follow. I'll absolutely read each state law to know what's going on.

...follow the law of the State to which you've travelled...if they reciprocate with yours on carry permits... you're going to follow THEIR rules while you're in the state regarding notifying LEOs, prohibited places, etc...some states even require you ask permission before carrying into a private residence...know the laws where you are and you're good...

...the Federal law was written to provide you a legal means to travel with firearms through MOST states which may be against you having firearms in your vehicle without being in trouble...it overshadows the states' laws forbiddings with strict instructions being followed...all bets are off in MA and NY...they ignore EVERY law...even their own...in order to make an arrest of a "dangerous gun person"...

Links