2nd customer of mine robbed in their homes

This is a discussion on 2nd customer of mine robbed in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm BG's commute to "work", just like everyone else. They go where the opportunities are. While easier targets might be in marginal ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd customer of mine robbed in their homes

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    BG's commute to "work", just like everyone else. They go where the opportunities are. While easier targets might be in marginal areas, better pickin's include the so-called "better" areas.
    The town this happened in and the town the BG allegedly live in are about 20 miles apart and both directly located on the interstate. Easier to flee.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

Velocette...

Quote Originally Posted by Velocette View Post
    Sorry gentlemen, if someone is holding a loved one of mine with a gun to their head, and I am holding a significant firearm, there will be some dead people soon.
    Simplistically, by putting down my firearm, I am trusting that the bad guys will be sweet and loving people and will not harm me or my loved ones. This I will not do. the choice will be theirs. live or die. They can retreat or they can be engaged.
    I know what I can do with a firearm, how quickly and how accurately I can do it. I practice regularly, meaning every week. It is fairly simple to me, will I take the chance of having all of my family dead, myself included (or worse) or trusting in my skill, accuracy and resolve. Giving up my firearm is not an option nor is it a choice my family will live with.

Roger
    I'm with you...I would not put down my firearm...
    Anyone bold enough to enter the home and hold a child with a weapon is already showing very bad intentions.
    I don't believe that it is a time to begin 'negotiations'...only IMMEDIATE action...I'll take my chances...
    Putting down a weapon give the BG's the opportunity to eliminate witnesses...not a good choice for me or my family...

Additionally, a 'big' dog is a good investment...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yea, maybe some of the cash being held (dumb, dumb, dumb to have that much cash on your person) could have been used to strengthen the security of the home. If he heard noises, and by the time he got up got his rifle and hit the den, they already had his daughter out of her room and in the den it could not have taken them long to get into the house.

If their first words after disarming are to demand the money, then yes they knew something and were there for this specific purpose.

I guess this is a good reason to keep my old, clean and trustworthy truck and jeep, and stay away from all the flash and bling that people feel they have to drive today. Less attention, less chance your going to be targeted, is the way I look at it.

On the actions of this guy, noone can say he did the wrong thing by giving up his weapon in this case, after all, his family is all alive and all he is out is money and auto damage. If he had started shooting, we do not know what would have happened do we, it may have turned out well, but then again, his daughter, his wife, and maybe he may have not been so lucky. I for one am not going to second guess his actions after the entry since all of his family is still breathing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

XD in SC said:
    ...I frequently see large amounts of cash in the vehicles I work on.
    Excuse me if I step on your toes, XD, for I'm not meaning to, but you still don't get it. Keep the money out of the house and the bad guys don't invade your home, "insider job" or not.

It's like camping where the Grizzlies live and having a ham hanging in your tent...

This is not about shooting it out or giving in when an armed crew is facing you down in your living room, it's about how to conduct your life such that they don't have a reason to invade the home...these people were stupid and by having a large amount of cash set themselves up for a robbery.

"...frequently seeing large amounts of cash in vehicles..." is not a part of what most of us experience. Even being around that cash, you should be more than a little concerned that the "Grizzlies" may come to your tent some time.

I'm telling you, this is like old fish, it smells...
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 8th, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Remember, there were 3 BG, so shooting at the one holding the child would probably cause atleast an AD from a shotgun.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Perhaps they should spend some of that cash on an alrm system that would alert them before the BGs had enough time to come in and take a hostage.

I'm poor and I have an alarm system.( and a gate, and dogs.)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

It is fairly simple to me, will I take the chance of having all of my family dead, myself included (or worse) or trusting in my skill, accuracy and resolve. Giving up my firearm is not an option nor is it a choice my family will live with.

Roger
    I agree with you 100%!!!!

VIP Member
    The cash in the pocket and at home is a "cultural" thing. Many banks in Latin America showed prosperous Friday afternoon when you made your deposit and you wake up Monday morning to the news that the place filed for bankruptcy and the owners took off for some country without extradition treaty leaving you peniless. In Latin countries with very high crime rates, BG's will literally wait around banks and target people that might have heavy amounts of cash. Also the use of credit cards and check cards is not widely used in stores yet. Check & cash are still kings. Plus credit cards carry HEAVY interests (35 to 70% are rates not unheard of) so you rather rely on cash. I know that they are living in the US now, but believe when I tell you it is not easy to deprogram yourself out of those customs.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I tell you it is not easy to deprogram yourself out of those customs.
    I understand, but probably not as difficult as trying to plug a sucking wound in your chest inflicted by some BG pistolero.

By the way, Miggy, I like your avatar...I have a thing about eagles, wife and I love to get out to the Mississippi River to watch them, even saw one flying around the mall we shop at just last week, doing a little fishing right in town.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Hmmm. Adding up two things here.

Lots of cash on hand and hires some illegal workers. Does that add up to being paid a lot in cash and then paying the illegals in cash -- no employee, no payroll taxes, no social security, no benefits, no records, business is of reduced employee size so some laws don't apply, etc.?

Seems to me he's a ripe target any day of the week and his family is, too. An unfortunate situation, to be sure, but he's certainly contributed to its existence, no matter what all that cash is for.

Bob

VIP Member
    Where was the Chihuahua? The time for the AK had passed. When three shotties have the drop on you and the family hostage, you’re toast until you can create an opening and have a less conspicuous weapon. Thank goodness this ended so well, and I hope it gets the family planning wheels to spin, as P95 said. We need layers of defense and a less conspicuous lifestyle.

When Lena confessed to Ole that she had been taking change out of his pockets over the last fifty years and had then buried lots of 100 dollar bills in the garden, he said “That’s wonderful, Lena! I’m glad you didn’t tell anyone. Just think what they will be worth today!”
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

One thing is the Mexican mafia is giving the Russian mafia the chills nowadays. Good thing all they wanted was cash. BTW how did they get to his family before they got to him? Were they sleeping in different areas upstairs, downstairs??
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Administrator
    There is a common denominator here, if L.E. is interested at all, prepare for a visit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You don’t negotiate with terrorist and certainly you do not disarm yourself.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is a common denominator here, if L.E. is interested at all, prepare for a visit.
    I'm sorry, I think I may be the only one that sees something strange with everything about this... OK, so you're telling me that this guy has a brand-new 2006 Vette, an AK, and $4,000 lying around in his wallet? Then three BGs enter the home, all armed with shotguns, then decisively locate and acquire a significant hostage, bring her into a completely different room where the homeowner would likely look, put a gun to her head and demand money and car keys?

I'm sorry, you've got a Corvette worth $43,000-64,000 new, an AK 47 at $400-1,000, plus $4,000 wallet money... Where's the rest of his money if it's not in his wallet? Then you have 3 BGs that target a home, all significantly armed who take an obviously-planned hostage in exchange for compliance in another room? Where the hell does this guy work? I'm sure that it's probably like some guys I know that work in that tortilla factory on the other side of the border (ya, that's really "flour" they're using).

It is highly unusual to find a person with that kind configuration of expensive car, a high-powered automatic rifle and $4,000 spending cash in their house. It is also equally highly unusual to have 3 BGs in a house who seem to have done this quite a few times before, taking a hostage, moving them to another part of the house, all armed with the same type of gun and all wearing masks. BGs with that kind of mindset and planning don't just rob Mr. and Mrs. Neighbor, they rob banks. They've done this quite a few times. Same thing for the other guy with the $12,000 spending cash.

I happen to think LE would be very interested in this guy if they haven't tipped off the DEA already. What you described I have only heard about when it comes to higher-level drug people that can afford to "go unnoticed" with "regular-looking" lives and either rival drug cartels or the Mexican Mafia wanting a piece of the pie or slamming them for moving in on their turf. Your guys might seem to you like they're fine and dandy but I'd sure be looking into some more-powerful weapons than a concealed handgun to protect you at home and work if this kind of stuff continues. That's the wrong crowd to be hanging around.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links