school property question?

This is a discussion on school property question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; okay I know this is a sensitive issue. But my question is has anyone ever asked for or been given permission to keep your weapon ...

Thread: school property question?

school property question?

okay I know this is a sensitive issue. But my question is has anyone ever asked for or been given permission to keep your weapon locked in your vehicle while on school property? here in Ohio it is permitted with permission from your local school board, and living in a rural area it becomes quite difficult to clear your vehicle of your weapon when you have to go to the school from work or wherever to attend an event for your children. I certainly plan on following the laws as they are written I just wondered if anyone had successfully gained permission.

Jeff

2. Remove Ads

It can't hurt to ask.

We don't have that issue here in TX, but you are right in making sure you follow the laws and get permission before you just do it and say "no one will ever find out".

I nice well written letter explaining the situation, with all of your contact information would be my approach.,

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In Georgia we can carry if we are dropping off or picking up a student. If we are attending an event a weapon has to be left in the car locked up. Same situation applies to us about attaining written permission from the school board and we would have to show a justified need to carry to such events. From what I understand from others I've spoken to, it is next to impossible to get that permission as there tend to be no less than 15 - 20 LEO's at these events. Good luck in your search for guidance.

we can have it in the car as long as we're dropping off or picking up and not get out of the vehicle as well. I'm sure asking to be allowed to carry it would be a big fat no. All I would like to do is just not have to go home every day to secure my weapon. I have a 10 year old and a 14 year old and they have stuff going on at school all the time

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I think it is legal to have a firearm locked inside your car while on school grounds. I know it is in LA.

That said, who is going to turn you in to authorities if you have one locked up? Are you going to carry a bullhorn telling people at the school that you have a firearm locked in the car? I am a firm believer in that if you tell others your business, then you do not have any business. When I am not working and carrying concealed, my sidearm is concealed and nobody knows it but the wife and those that know I am never without a sidearm.

My kids are out of school but I still have occasional visits to schools to interview people that attend or work there. My gun remains locked inside my vehicle. Nobody knows and I am not telling anyone.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I think it is legal to have a firearm locked inside your car while on school grounds. I know it is in LA.

That said, who is going to turn you in to authorities if you have one locked up? Are you going to carry a bullhorn telling people at the school that you have a firearm locked in the car? I am a firm believer in that if you tell others your business, then you do not have any business. When I am not working and carrying concealed, my sidearm is concealed and nobody knows it but the wife and those that know I am never without a sidearm.

My kids are out of school but I still have occasional visits to schools to interview people that attend or work there. My gun remains locked inside my vehicle. Nobody knows and I am not telling anyone.
    In Ohio, I believe it is only legal if you are dropping off or picking up a child at the school.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    In Ohio, I believe it is only legal if you are dropping off or picking up a child at the school.
    that's correct, in Ohio it is only legal if you are picking up or dropping off a child and not leaving your vehicle. otherwise you may not have one in your car or on your person

I was looking at the KY law the other day because my friend picks up his son sometimes with his Ural motorcycle and sidecar and he has a gun on his hip all day long. I wonder if some state laws are different for cars vs motorcycles. here, you're supposed to store your weapon before you get out of the car if you need to go in the school if I recall correctly. how do you do that if you're not in a car to begin with?

just curious.

Echoing the Georgia law mentioned above, I'm allowed to carry and leave in my car. If I had to get permission at the local school level, you might ask around and see if any admin/asst. principles were pro-gun and ask them. Let them make the request from BOE. My A.P. is ex-military firearms expert and needless to say, he's very much in favor of CCW on property. Hopefully the GA senate will pass the recent house approved bill giving admin the ability to carry, but like your situation, if it does pass, each county must get permission from BOE to exercise.

Since you are in a rural district, it might be worth a try to ask for permission. A couple rural districts are actually giving some employees permission to carry as detailed here:

Ohio media outlet releases name of teacher authorized to go armed at Orrville City Schools

If you were in a more urban area like Cleveland or Youngstown, asking for permission would probably be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    Since you are in a rural district, it might be worth a try to ask for permission. A couple rural districts are actually giving some employees permission to carry as detailed here:

Ohio media outlet releases name of teacher authorized to go armed at Orrville City Schools

If you were in a more urban area like Cleveland or Youngstown, asking for permission would probably be a waste of time.
    yep this is very encouraging. the only thing they did wrong was announcing the name and what department the teacher would be working in. I I personally think that they should have just said they'll approvEd for teacher to be armed not disclose who it is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

As long as it's legal your fine. If it isn't all it takes is someone seeing you disarm and report it. If it's worth the chance of loosing your gun rights over, go ahead.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links