Just Thought I'd Share - Shooting Scenario

This is a discussion on Just Thought I'd Share - Shooting Scenario within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a guy i know yesterday when he told me this story. He was at the bowling ally the night before with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just Thought I'd Share - Shooting Scenario

Just Thought I'd Share - Shooting Scenario

I was talking to a guy i know yesterday when he told me this story. He was at the bowling ally the night before with his wife and buddy when 2 young men snagged his wife's purse. My buddy took chase to one, the one without the purse, while his buddy drew and shot at the kid with the purse. They think he may have hit the kid because he hit the ground, got up and ran into the woods. The thing that really baffles me is when the Jackson PD showed up and took the report, they didnt even put into the report that shots were fired. They even told the guy that he should have been a better shot. Yeah, thats JPD. Just thought id share that with yall.

2. Remove Ads

Wow

Isn't shooting at a fleeing suspect illegal? In most places deadly force is for protectin of self not property. When the criminals fled there was no longer a threat.
    deadguy likes this.
    -Biker

you would think so

I have read a many a story on clayton cramer's blog, as well as other sites, where a store owner goes outside and shoots the fleeing criminal in the back, killing him. They never get charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Isn't shooting at a fleeing suspect illegal? In most places deadly force is for protectin of self not property. When the criminals fled there was no longer a threat.
    Doesn't mean it should be, but yes I think usually you are correct.

I believe in some states it's allowable to use deadly force to stop the commission of a felony in progress. I don't think purse-snatching qualifies, though!
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

In my state you could be fried for shooting after the threat of "great bodily injury or death" has ended. Here, you can't be using lethal force over property.

It looks like the cops really gave him a break. I do wonder, though, what will happen if the perp shows up in an ER with a gunshot wound.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

It depends on the state. In Texas, you may use deadly force to prevent imminent loss of property, as well as imminent danger to life and limb. The way the the Asst. DA put it in our CHL class: "Guy's running away with your stuff -- legal to shoot. Guy's running away without your stuff -- illegal to shoot." That's the legal side. Now, whether you would shoot or not would depend on the circumstances and your personal view of using deadly force to prevent loss of property.

Know your state laws!!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    It depends on the state. In Texas, you may use deadly force to prevent imminent loss of property, as well as imminent danger to life and limb. The way the the Asst. DA put it in our CHL class: "Guy's running away with your stuff -- legal to shoot. Guy's running away without your stuff -- illegal to shoot." That's the legal side. Now, whether you would shoot or not would depend on the circumstances and your personal view of using deadly force to prevent loss of property.

Know your state laws!!
    would not that be an escaping felon, in Texas I read they could be shot

Here's the CT law:
    Sec. 53a-21. Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by such other person to commit larceny or criminal mischief involving property, or when and to the extent he reasonably believes such to be necessary to regain property which he reasonably believes to have been acquired by larceny within a reasonable time prior to the use of such force; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only in defense of person as prescribed in section 53a-19.
    Sec. 53a-19 says there has to be a threat to your or someone else's life or threat of 'great bodily harm'.

If I did that in Missouri, I'd be typing this behind bar's. I don't think a LEO can even do that and get away with it under those circumstances. The shooter was very lucky or the LEO's were very cool about it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - mad as I might be being robbed - I can't see me shooting at a fleeing perp, unless he is turning to fire at me.

Sounds like a very victim-friendly PD in this case
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Legal or not... I don't think I would chose to kill someone for stealing a purse. Difficult as it will be to cancel credit cards and replace ID's and lose some money and keys... I just don't think its worth taking a life.

If there is a gun in that purse I might think harder about it. Would not want to be responsible for a gun getting out there in the hands of an obvious criminal.

But thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Legal or not... I don't think I would chose to kill someone for stealing a purse. Difficult as it will be to cancel credit cards and replace ID's and lose some money and keys... I just don't think its worth taking a life.

If there is a gun in that purse I might think harder about it. Would not want to be responsible for a gun getting out there in the hands of an obvious criminal.

But thats just me.

Yeah, I agree. I would not have shot. Fact is, I hope never to shoot anyone as I am sure that in most cases I would feel absolutely horrible about killing someone even if justified. I would do it if I had to, but I would not enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post

But thats just me.
    Yeah...but now a BG has your ID (knows where you live) and your keys (can get into your house)...

This perp has already demonstrated he's apt to hurt/rob someone out in public. What if given the opportunity to get you and your wife and kids behind closed doors? If not this guy, what about one of his aquaintances?

This is not a property crime--it's a direct threat to me and my family. If the BG doesn't want to get shot over a purse, he shouldn't be robbing people. Why should I value his life over mine?

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Not a good idea to fire on a fleeing suspect....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links