When entering PFZ do you remove IWB holster and gun or just gun?

This is a discussion on When entering PFZ do you remove IWB holster and gun or just gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im new to cc and find myself in a few PFZ a few days a week One being a school, I will be locking firearm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: When entering PFZ do you remove IWB holster and gun or just gun?

Im new to cc and find myself in a few PFZ a few days a week One being a school, I will be locking firearm up in vehicle before exiting car, but my question is it preferred to remove entire system (gun + IWB Holster) when exiting car then just replace holster in pants when returning to car or do most just remove the gun lock it up and keep holster in pants then just re holster gun on return? The latter seems more risky for ND but would like others input on this topic.

I just unholster weapon and leave holster on, too much work to remove IWB holster and get it repostitioned, thats just me though, I kinda find it hard to get my IWB holster in the proper place with out dropping my drawers and I don't think anyone wants to see that out in public.

Why is putting your gun in your holster more risky for ND??? Keep your finger off the trigger and the gun won't go off..
    Aquaman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Why is putting your gun in your holster more risky for ND??? Keep your finger off the trigger and the gun won't go off..
    If people were careful the yes, but based on historical evidence we know most NDs where people shoot themselves involve reholstering. On this very site I've read about many things other than fingers getting into the trigger guard. Drawstrings, shirts, flaps of leather, all things that can easily get tangled in the trigger.

I prefer my complacency infidel holster, when I need to disarm I can quickly and easily take the whole rig off with zero risk.
    cj and Aceoky like this.

So then I should never take my gun out of the holster?? Because it might go off?? What is wrong with this picture??

VIP Member
    So then I should never take my gun out of the holster?? Because it might go off?? What is wrong with this picture??
    If you fail to see the potential risk in holstering while seated in your vehicle, no, you should never take your gun out of your holster.
    caddisman, cj, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
    Im new to cc and find myself in a few PFZ a few days a week One being a school, I will be locking firearm up in vehicle before exiting car, but my question is it preferred to remove entire system (gun + IWB Holster) when exiting car then just replace holster in pants when returning to car or do most just remove the gun lock it up and keep holster in pants then just re holster gun on return? The latter seems more risky for ND but would like others input on this topic.
    I absolutely hate holstering while seated in a vehicle, but it is a reality I live with. My holsters aren't easy on and off, so it is something I am compelled to do from time to time.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you fail to see the potential risk in holstering while seated in your vehicle, no, you should never take your gun out of your holster.
    So then I need to sell my holster and buy one like yours...Please show me yours so I can be like you...
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    So then I need to sell my holster and buy one like yours...Please show me yours so I can be like you...
    Sorry, but the ones I use aren't available to the general public.
    William T. Sherman

If I know that I'm going someplace legally banned (school, post office) I will leave my pistol at home just to avoid any potential issue (but keep my IWB holster on - just empty). When going to a courthouse or someplace with a metal scanner I take everything off to avoid problems. Otherwise, I lock it in my car (I keep a pocket holster in the car). When doing that I unload and take all ammo with me (in case some idiot breaks-in - it's bad enough that they would have my gun, but it would be worse if loaded).

As far as being "risky," you really need to be proficient enough and careful enough with your firearm to not view this as a risk. Negligence is negligence. I'm more concerned about someone seeing me reload in my vehicle (which I do out of sight), them calling the police, and then being surrounded by squad cars. Nobody needs that.

One problem, if you are entering a school and have left the firearm in the car on school property, you are probably illegal...check your state laws.
    Same thing in the post office......I'm just sayin'...
    StormRhydr likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I am carrying a double action firearm or a firearm with a safety I just unholster and reholster when I get back in the vehicle. If I am carrying a striker fired firearm I do the same thing I just cringe through the re-holstering process. If I suspect that I will have to unholster I will make sure that I am carrying either a double action firearm or a firearm with a safety. I am talking IWB.
    TailRunner likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I haven't found an easy way to holster while seated, behind the wheel. I carry an XD so I am careful to stay away from the grip safety.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I haven't found an easy way to holster while seated, behind the wheel. I carry an XD so I am careful to stay away from the grip safety.
    The gun shown in my avatar is by far the safest one I carry for holstering while seated in a vehicle. Its ambidextrous de-cocker allows it to be holstered in the safe position, then switched back to DA/SA.
    William T. Sherman

I simply remove the gun from the holster and lock it in the storage box in the car. If I am going onto a military installation where my vehicle has a high probability of being searched I leave it and the holster at home. If you can't safely remove and insert your sidearm into and out of your holster in all positions you need to reconsider carrying or at least find a different carry method because you are probably going to injure yourself when removing it under duress.
    h2ohta, wmhawth and USM1976 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links