Going deaf

This is a discussion on Going deaf within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me tell you when your adrenaline up you don't hear the shot .. i never do when hunting even from the high powered rifle ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going deaf

Let me tell you when your adrenaline up you don't hear the shot .. i never do when hunting even from the high powered rifle the echo yes and ears never hurt or ring

2. Remove Ads

There's two types of hearing damage from noise. The sharp loud gunshot type and the repetitive type. I fly jets for a living, worked on helicopters in the army and yes, I own and fire a Springfield 1911.

The relatively instantaneous noise a gun makes can be just as harmful as jack hammer. Although a jack hammer exposure will cause the damage more quickly just because its intensely repetitive. Plus, where you are has an affect. Just as a bomb going off in a confined space will be more deadly than if it went off in the open, a noise is the same way. Remember we're talking about wave propagation here. The walls of an indoor range or a car will reflect or bounce the sound waves back to you and increase the possible effects of the sound.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I have read a lot of posts, mostly in the scenario thread, about the chances of going deaf due to a gun fight. I know that guns are loud having occassionally heard them a little too close without the muffs on tight. However, if a short gun battle, what really are the chances that you would go deaf?

Seems pretty slim to me but I am curious to see what the forumites say.

Thanks.
    Slim to none and that's my final answer. But of course this answer could be wrong for you. I have had no ill effects from firing a weapon without hearing protection (lots of trap shooting). Back in my younger days nobody used hearing protection for shooting or flying around in small aircraft. I did work on helicopters in the Army. You really do want hearing protection for doing that sort of thing (high pitch whining) from those jet engines. I occasionally go to the range and fire my XD in 45 (only out in the open) cause I need to know what it's going to sound like in a gunfight. I don't want to scare myself with the sound of my own gun in a gunfight. Remember the BG isn't going to give you time to put on your safety glasses and your hearing protection and unlike your paper targets he's going to move. Your going to have to deal with and train for all of that. Hope this helps.

I have only this to say, If you are young and have good hearing now, wear hearing protection every chance you get. Don't listen to loud music, ever. If you don't want to follow this advice, ecpect to be saying; What, will you repeat that please, after nearly everthaing any one says when you are 60.

Near deafnes is as if you put in earplugs, put on earmuffs and then tried to hold a conversation in a normal voice. That is me because I didn't take care of my hearing while young. Stay healthy.

when I was a kid, I shot a lot of 12 ga. without ear protection.
    I've also shot a .45 at in indoor range without ear protection - 1 shot just to hear what is would sound like.
    Both of these are not something I will repeat, but if I had to shoot in a real life situation, the hearing damage would be the last thing on my mind.

btw - I don't believe I've suffered any permanent damage to my hearing, but my wife says I'm deaf...

Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    There's two types of hearing damage from noise. The sharp loud gunshot type and the repetitive type. I fly jets for a living, worked on helicopters in the army and yes, I own and fire a Springfield 1911.

The relatively instantaneous noise a gun makes can be just as harmful as jack hammer. Although a jack hammer exposure will cause the damage more quickly just because its intensely repetitive. Plus, where you are has an affect. Just as a bomb going off in a confined space will be more deadly than if it went off in the open, a noise is the same way. Remember we're talking about wave propagation here. The walls of an indoor range or a car will reflect or bounce the sound waves back to you and increase the possible effects of the sound.
    form Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I have only this to say, If you are young and have good hearing now, wear hearing protection every chance you get. Don't listen to loud music, ever. If you don't want to follow this advice, ecpect to be saying; What, will you repeat that please, after nearly everthaing any one says when you are 60.
    I am seriously thinking of investing in hearing device manufacturers, because honestly, I look around and realize that there is an unprecedented popularity in overloud musical devices (car stereos, and personal music players) these days. The idea of playing your car stereo so loudly that it makes the fenders and trunk lid rattle is experiencing runaway popularity.

Simply, there are going to be epidemic numbers of people with significant hearing damage reaching middle age in the next decade or two or three. I really think that -- IF hearing aids will even help these people -- the need for them is going to double and redouble and redouble as time goes on.

Might as well cash in on the fact that homey with his obnoxious rap blasting out of his car at the stoplight is gonna be near deaf before he's 35.

doubt it. but when you fire your weapon for the first time without ear plugs you will !!@@#$%@. it not like you at the range with the ear protection.

Administrator
    All great posts above.
    Absolutely if your tail is on the line the last thing you'll want to be worried about is your ears from a round of gunfire.

Wear GOOD hearing protection whenever possible.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I am seriously thinking of investing in hearing device manufacturers, because honestly, I look around and realize that there is an unprecedented popularity in overloud musical devices (car stereos, and personal music players) these days. The idea of playing your car stereo so loudly that it makes the fenders and trunk lid rattle is experiencing runaway popularity.

Simply, there are going to be epidemic numbers of people with significant hearing damage reaching middle age in the next decade or two or three. I really think that -- IF hearing aids will even help these people -- the need for them is going to double and redouble and redouble as time goes on.
    +1 I've seriously thought about this too...Did previous generations play their as music loud? Add stereo surround sound, Walkman's and Ipods, ear buds, and early '80's headphones are you're just asking for increased hearing loss 'cause people rarely think to keep the volume LOW.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

auditory excusion is when the membrane of the ear drum relaxes causing temporary reduction in hearing which allows you concentrate on the task at hand and not distracted by sounds around you, damage to your hear is highly unlikely. Remeber when you at the range you are not in a stressfull life defending situation as you will be in a gun fight.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    But I thought that the eardrum itself is not the principal thing involved in hearing... I thought it had much more to do with the tiny hairs in the inner ear that send signals to the nerves that reach the brain.

I had never heard of a relaxing of the tympanic membrane... that's a new one on me. Hmm.

One reason I still believe that hearing loss is not protected against by auditory exclusion is the idea of, "Short of rupturing, what kind of cumulative damage to the eardrum would occur with exposure to loud noises over time?" I mean, it's just a membrane. Does it loosen? Wear out?

I still think that the hairs deep in the ear are what suffers. I have read about them breaking off from loud noise, and that since they don't grow back, that's why the hearing loss is permanent. Apart from rupture, what permanent damage are you saying occurs to the eardrum?

VIP Member
    The right ear is the pistol ear, and the left, the rifle/shotgun ear. When you shoot a Magnum pistol, say 5 or six times, without ear protection, the ringing in your ears will gradually subside, but never completely disappear. In fact, as you age, the ringing or hissing (like a wetland full of hissing frogs) increases insidiously. Eventually, bell sounds and other strange noises, emanating from the broken receptor hairs within your ears, will startle you without warning or provocation. Any loud sounds become uncomfortable, and slight background noise is sufficient to garble normal conversation. You will be frustrated when one or two words in a spoken sentence arenít comprehended, that is, if you even pay attention when the conversation begins. Itís all you can do to keep the ever louder ringing and hissing from driving you crazy. Well, you were crazy not to protect your hearing in the first place, werenít you.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered View Post
    Is not audio exclusion more a matter of the way your hearing "perceives" sound? I don't think that audio exclusion has anything to do with your eardrums not sustaining damage. That wouldn't make sense to me.
    Right. The fact that you don't 'hear' the sound (or don't remember it) has nothing to do with whether it causes damage or not. Not hearing the sound is a brain thing, blocking it out, focusing on other things. The physical damage will still happen if it is going to.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I am seriously thinking of investing in hearing device manufacturers... there are going to be epidemic numbers of people with significant hearing damage reaching middle age in the next decade or two or three.
    My wife and I have talked on several occasions about exactly the same thing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links