Going deaf - Page 3

Going deaf

This is a discussion on Going deaf within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of people here have got it exactly right already, but I'll recap. Every time you fire a gun without hearing protection you do ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going deaf

A couple of people here have got it exactly right already, but I'll recap.

Every time you fire a gun without hearing protection you do a small amount of permanent damage to your hearing. The damage done by a couple of shots is so minuscule that you will never notice it. Since none of us are very likely to be in long-lasting gunfights week after week, we really don't need to worry about hearing protection in this situation.

Going to the shooting range, which we should all be doing on a regular basis, is a completely different matter! In that case we are firing round after round and, as I said, doing it on a regular basis. The cumulative effects of not wearing hearing protection in this situation absolutely WILL reduce your hearing in time!

Beyond that, it is entirely possible that you will experience a temporary deafness after firing a few shots without hearing protection. This is a matter of perception (just like audio exclusion) and is simply the brain's efforts to blot out an excessive distraction. Unless the noise is off the scale (someone mentioned a grenade as an example) your hearing will come back relatively quickly.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I get money from the VA every month because I had an M60 fired about two inches off of my left ear in a firefight. The VA says you can.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Back in 1990 I had a friend empty a 9mm in the bay to my left. We were outside under the canopy. I had only shot .22 to that point and had never been taught ear protection, so I had none.

I can't hear the clicking of my dirrectional signal. I can't hear the egg timer going tick tick tick. I can't hear a digital watch alarm unless it's right next to my head. Don't bother talking to me on my left.

yep there plenty of potential for damage. Maybe not total deafness, but definate damage.

I am very careful to always wear hearing protection, especially since it downright uncomfortable for me not to. My ears are too fragile I guess.

I did have a problem with my Thompson 1927-A1 last year though. I had just filled the drum and inserted it into the rifle. I pulled the bolt back and let it fly forward (per the instructions) and apparently discharged two rounds in the process. I never heard anything but a ringing. Not even a little bang. I still don't what it the world happened, but Khar made it right and even installed a new barrel.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Let me tell you when your adrenaline up you don't hear the shot .. i never do when hunting even from the high powered rifle the echo yes and ears never hurt or ring
    I'll second that, My last trip, I shot a 30.06 three times as fast as I could line up the scope, I never heard one of them, or had any ringing afterwords, It was like it never happend.

Now self defence is surely a whole different ball game, but I think the premise is the same.

Yes it took three shots, were talking a 4x5 New Mexico Elk, and I just spent the last 40 mins listening to them a couple hundred yards away, rateling antlers, while waiting for the sun to come up, then watched them walk towards me for about 100 yards, so for some reason, I was having trouble holding the rifle still, I think some mexican jumping beans climbed into the stock, and started having a party, sure wasn't due to me being excited.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I get money from the VA every month because I had an M60 fired about two inches off of my left ear in a firefight. The VA says you can.

Jungle Work

When your behind an M60 pulling the trigger things aren't so bad but if your off to the side feeding the rounds damn thing will blow your ears off.

I always wondered, For those military in combat, during a real bad firefight, did/do they use any hearing protection?..Lets say they could plan ahead for the mission knowing there would be alot of gunfire....I see those shows of combat where many many rounds are fired....what happens to their ears???

Lead Moderator
    hearing damage can occur during shooting. a fire fight might cause some, but I would be worried about range time more. I notice Sportsmans Guide and others offer a electronic earmuff cheap. I picked up 1 for $20 . Might be a good investment to protect your ears while hunting.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links