IWB Carry..

This is a discussion on IWB Carry.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been thinking about the pros & cons of carrying a Semi-auto IWB & the one thing that bothers me is chambering a round. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: IWB Carry..

Question IWB Carry..

So I've been thinking about the pros & cons of carrying a Semi-auto IWB & the one thing that bothers me is chambering a round. It makes me nervous to have that rd. in the pipe & the possibility of the gun going off due to a mechanical failure in the gun. Now if I had to pull I guess I'd be at a high disadvantage here yet I'm still apprehensive about it. :/

2. Remove Ads

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If you have a good holster with firm trigger protection, know how to holster and unholster, and know your weapon, you should be fine.

Unless you are doing some really bad amateur gunsmithing on a sear, and, depending on the weapon, removing safeties, the gun will not go off unless the trigger is depressed. Modern guns nowadays aren't going to "go off" spontaneously. Lots of engineering and testing by the manufacturers to make sure that doesn't happen.

I carry a CZ 75D PCR with one in the pipe and decocked. For it to go off in the holster, there's a lot of negligence and stupidity required on my part - more than I've ever managed to exercise at one time in my life.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I worried about it at first too. Someone told me to carry it in a holster with a snap cap for a day or two and bump it around. I even tried to hit it with my hand a couple of times. The gun wouldn't do anything. After I did that for a couple of days, I have no problem carrying with a round in the chamber. I have been doing it for a while now.

I feel less comfortable about running into a bad guy and then trying to chamber a round, than I do about having one in the chamber IWB.
    BenGoodLuck and Lish like this.

Apparently alot of people carry In The Chamber, that's no surprise here I pretty much figured it to be so. I'll give it a shot. :)
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Btw my current CCW is my S&W SD .40VE :)

Yea same here on that aspect phil. :/

You get used to it. After a month or two of your gun not deciding to grow a will of it's own and shoot a hole in your Femoral you'll feel better about it.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Hahaha yea I suppose so ty :D

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERCHEFNICK View Post
    So I've been thinking about the pros & cons of carrying a Semi-auto IWB & the one thing that bothers me is chambering a round. It makes me nervous to have that rd. in the pipe & the possibility of the gun going off due to a mechanical failure in the gun. Now if I had to pull I guess I'd be at a high disadvantage here yet I'm still apprehensive about it. :/
    That is extremely unlikely with many guns because the firing pin is blocked or not even in line with the round. In over 42 years of shooting I have never seen a gun go off by itself. If that is your concern stop worrying about that right now as it will not happen. If you are worried about yourself pressing the trigger when you shouldn't, that is another story. If you are not going to carry with one in the chamber you are basically carrying an unloaded gun that needs to be loaded before using and you are also assuming that you will have the use of both hands to do so. Ever been in a fight, have someone pin you to the ground, been holding a bag of groceries or warding off a blow from an attacker with one arm? If so then you know that many fight situations deprive you of the use of two hands. To have to rack a gun first under such extreme stress as that of life and death is difficult to do at best.

I tell people who do not want to carry their gun loaded to buy a gun that they will, even if it is a revolver because a loaded revolver will give you much better protection than any unloaded semi auto. I suggest you read up on the safety features of guns so you can see how safe they are these days. The odds of one going off by itself are greater than you marrying Jennifer Lopez in Monte Carlo and be given a yacht as a wedding gift and permission to have your way with all of her girl friends. A lot of things are possible but that does not mean they are even close to being likely to happen. I know a few guys who carry but are afraid of their guns and that does not bode well for how they will do if they ever have to use their gun. Nobody defends themselves well with a weapon they fear.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

It's a natural concern. But the reality is that with modern firearms, the chance of it "going off" on it's on are slim to none. Despite what the media says. In the media "the gun went off" is code word for "the guy pulled the trigger but we don't want to blame somebody because of liability so we'll blame the gun."

In all my years of owning guns I've only seen one go off without a finger on the trigger. And it was a slam fire on a reloaded round. Probably a soft or poorly set primer. Put a nice hole in the top of the door frame.
    SUPERCHEFNICK likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I dont like carrying around paperweights, so I've carried a glock loaded IWB since day one. Once your firearm is in a quality holster with a trigger guard, there is nothing for the trigger to get snagged on. Trust me, your thigh will be perfectly safe!

SD40ve is basically what i carry "sw40ve" same pistol for all intents with a little cosmetics changed. No safeties except the little trigger lever and that stiff trigger pull. Be careful putting back in the holster is all. If you dont pull the trigger it aint goin off and it does have a stiff DA revolver type trigger pull. Carry mine chambered all the time.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I carry my Beretta Px4 with one in the chamber and the safety off. I do use the safety as a decocker so the first pull is double action.

When I carry my Glock I am even more comfortable carrying with one in the chamber because the firing pin channel is blocked until your finger is on the trigger. I did carry with it cocked without one in the chamber for a while to prove to my self it wasn't going to just go off on its own.

As always, the only safety that works 100% is the one between your ears.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERCHEFNICK View Post
    a Semi-auto IWB & the one thing that bothers me is chambering a round. It makes me nervous to have that rd. in the pipe & the possibility of the gun going off due to a mechanical failure in the gun.
    Understandable. I've been around guns most of my adult life and only began carrying several months ago...so; I know what you're feeling.

I carry a Glock 27 Gen 4. No external safety. Here is what I did to get "over the hump."

1) I researched the mechanical workings of this weapon. This reassured me greatly seeing how the (3) safety's work.
    2) I only carried OWB at first. (IF) the gun just "went off" which is impossible, the bullet path would not strike me due to the angle of the holster.
    3) Lastly; I fully realized in most scenarios when one might need their weapon, that "racking the slide" place me at far greater risk.

It took about 2 weeks for me to realize in my mind that my weapon has no ability to fire itself.
    With nicer weather now here, I carry IWB with no thought or concern about a discharge.

You will be OK with it.
    Take your time.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links