Funny story, feel like an ass...

This is a discussion on Funny story, feel like an ass... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just went and re-qualified the other day after just having gotten my new High Noon Side Guard in the mail a couple days before. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Funny story, feel like an ass...

Funny story, feel like an ass...

I just went and re-qualified the other day after just having gotten my new High Noon Side Guard in the mail a couple days before. The holster was really stiff and I was having a hard time drawing. Needless to say I passed and everything was great. Anyway, I went home that night and emptied my gun and practiced my draw for a few minutes to try and loosen the holster up a bit. When I finished I put the gun away and went to bed. The next morning strapped on the holster and went to work. Got through about half the day when I realized I had not reloaded the gun and had left the magazine at home. My holster and gun spent the rest of the day locked up in the office all alone, and I felt naked.

I have to say I am really impressed with the High Noon holster thus far, and since this happened it has loosened up significantly. I did order it rush because I am incredibly impatient, and it got to me before I even thought to check to see if I had received a shipping notice. Great service and the holster still had that freshly lacquered smell!
    91wm6 and msgt/ret like this.
    Kimber Royal II - Kahr Arms P45

CA CCW

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Glad all worked well for you. Now for a similar personal experience.

I was working in the yard many years ago and the daughter (about 7 yrs old then) brought in some neighborhoold children. The wife went to my sidearm and unloaded it to keep anyone from accidently getting hurt. Why she did not just put it away I still do not know. I went to work the next day and about half way into the day, she called to say I did not have my gun loaded. This was back in the day of the revolver. Good thing I did not have to use it.
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Great choice for a holster...High Noon = Quality!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Was clearing my gun the other day and didn't have a round chambered. Cleaned it earlier & failed to properly prepare my weapon. Another case of the stats being in my favor.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Everyone who hasn't felt like an ass over something please stay put. . . . Everone else can leave.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedinCA View Post
    Got through about half the day when I realized I had not reloaded the gun and had left the magazine at home. My holster and gun spent the rest of the day locked up in the office all alone, and I felt naked.
    IMO, it's worth carrying anyway, in such a situation. The "element of surprise" being what it is, having the appearance of having a loaded weapon is far more surprising in a deadly encounter than merely grabbing thin air. Might well alter the outcome, having it, being seen to have it, and being seen to be prepared to use it. (After all, not all ugly encounters needing a firearm to defend require firing.) Something to think about, if ever the gun's found to be minus the magazines.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...you'll fit right in here...we're all extremely hoomin'...

...left the station with my latest rookie after putting up a guest in the "hotel"...got about a mile away and realized I hadn't picked up my holster gun from the lockbox...my rookie thought it was a hoot till I peeled back my coat and showed him my .45...but it was still embarrassing...

...your story makes the case for extra mags...and a box of extra ammo under the seat...and a back-up gun...

...welcome and thanks for being real...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    your story makes the case for extra mags.
    One of the good reasons, absolutely. But then, if a person's checking to confirm the gun+mag+spares are there, the original mag wouldn't be missed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    All good examples of the need for a VCI.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    After reading this I think I will load up a spare mag to keep in the truck.
    Snub44 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    VCI ??
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Press check - every single time you strap it on - no variation.

Everyone does dumb things from time to time. Live and learn.
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I swear, people make these up on the spur of the moment. Visual Condition Inspection?

There are numerous threads on here about how to loosen up a new holster,using either a baggie or wax paper wrap the gun in one or two layers and reholster leaving the wrapped gun in the holster for several hours,or even overnight,it will stretch the leather just enough to allow good retention but allow a smooth draw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for all of your stories and kind words. I usually do carry an extra clip in the car, had to use that for my requal, so that was in my gear bag which was also sitting at home. I am not sure carrying an empty gun is really the best idea, I always have looked at it as a bit of a liability. I will definitely be checking from here on out on a daly basis before I leave the house. Thanks Duk for the thread suggestion, I'll check that out. It should be 85 here today, so I should ad a little swear to the mix that will undoubtedly loosen it up a bit too.
    Kimber Royal II - Kahr Arms P45

CA CCW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links