School and car carry

School and car carry

This is a discussion on School and car carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For Texas... I have applied for but not yet received my CHL. This weekend, I will be traveling out of town to stay in a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: School and car carry

School and car carry

For Texas...

I have applied for but not yet received my CHL. This weekend, I will be traveling out of town to stay in a hotel and then visit a college campus. I am unsure about a couple of things and need some clarifications and to review.

At my home, I can carry a gun to/from my car to/from my home.

When I arrive at the hotel, I have to leave my gun in the car and I cannot take the gun to the hotel room.

When I arrive at the school, I need to be at least 1000' feet away from school property and keep the gun in the car.

Looks like I am better off leaving the gun at home as I know I will want to park on campus.

Also, I know this has probably been posted before - how much leeway is one given when car carrying with no CHL? I know the car is like your home but if you witness something 'bad' going on outside of your car, what action can you take if any? Any links to this scenario are appreciated.

Try Handgunlaw.us to answer your questions...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I live in Missouri. The law says that in Missouri my car is an extension of my house. If my gun stays in my car, I can park anywhere I want. If Texas is the same way, then you have nothing to worry about.

Where did you get the 1000 feet thing from, just curious?
    And once you get your CHL, you should have no problem concealing in a Hotel.

If you stay in a motel/hotel, it is the same as your home for the night...you can take your gun to your room.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you cannot have a gun within 1000 feet of a school, how do you drive on streets where there are schools ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hook686 View Post
    If you cannot have a gun within 1000 feet of a school, how do you drive on streets where there are schools ?

That sounds like the Federal version of the law. That law also says not withstanding any state law. A sort of rareish case of a Federal law allowing precedence over Federal law by specific state law.

In our state we have a specific law allowing CWP holders to have their firearm locked in their cars while on any public or private school property.

Some states even allow Concealed Carry on campus. Utah comes to mind.

Its a state by state thing. You just have to check the state law I am afraid. Someone from Texas should chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook686 View Post
    PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited;

(1) “Premises” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (3) “Premises” means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

It doesn't apply if you are driving down the street in front of a school.

-Amperius
    In God and Glock We Trust.

In Iowa, you can legally carry on the street next to a school if you have a license to carry, but you cannot in any instance take firearms onto school property. As the head coach of a high school trapshooting team, I have to part my pickup and team trailer across the street from the school and wait there until the bus with the team is ready to leave.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Amperius View Post
    PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited;

(1) “Premises” has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (3) “Premises” means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

It doesn't apply if you are driving down the street in front of a school.

-Amperius
    Certain that this is the law within Texas? I was under the impression we were granted the rights to carry on school property so long as it was not in a building, or in other words that the 1000 foot rule was rendered obsolete.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Links