Opinions on how to hold a revolver

This is a discussion on Opinions on how to hold a revolver within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still new to revolvers, and I've not figured out exactly how I feel most comfortable gripping the gun... a 'cowboy style' single action. See ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Opinions on how to hold a revolver

I'm still new to revolvers, and I've not figured out exactly how I feel most comfortable gripping the gun... a 'cowboy style' single action. See picture.

Curious about other experienced shooters thoughts.

uploadfromtaptalk1365738885008.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Lead Moderator
    Not sure exactly what the issue is? Grab the gun and shoot. Are you asking about a one hand vs.2 hand hold or something else? Perhaps pics of how you are holding it might help.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

uploadfromtaptalk1365739276813.jpg
    This is what I favor now... But I was experimenting, and thought this felt comfortable too...

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Lead Moderator
    First pic looks better . I was taught never to cross your thumbs. If you shoot a semi auto you will learn not to do this quickly. The single action grip seems to roll with the recoil , as opposed to a double action grip which pushes into the web of your hand .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you're using 2 hands "Hickock45" has a video on you tube that may save you some skin, worth watching if you haven't shot one much. How NOT To Shoot a Revolver - YouTube

Is that a Single-Six?

If so, I find the grip a little short to get my pinky finger on the "plow handle" instead of under it. The larger-framed Vaquero and Blackhawks allow me a full, 3-fingered grip on the stocks.

Hope to see our resident single-action afficianados weigh in here with some pics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is that a Single-Six?

If so, I find the grip a little short to get my pinky finger on the "plow handle" instead of under it. The larger-framed Vaquero and Blackhawks allow me a full, 3-fingered grip on the stocks.

Hope to see our resident single-action afficianados weigh in here with some pics.
    Medium size gloves, and yes, that is a Single Six.

I can hold it lower... So that the pinky dangles, and that doesn't actually feel bad shooting one handed, but I can't get comfortable with two hands when the right is that low.

GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If you shoot a semi auto you will learn not to do this quickly.
    Hmm, I do and have shot a lot, so I haven't learned why I shouldn't.

So.....why shouldn't i?

Whoops, I don't cross.....just not pointed forward.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Right hand shooter ...... ????

Either one handed , or

Left hand flat -- with bottom of right hand sitting in the palm of the left hand, now grip the bottom of your right hand with your left hand.
    It's like sitting your right hand in the palm of a cupped left hand. Keep fingers and body parts all away from the wheel area, unless you don't care if you lose them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by RobH54 View Post
    Hmm, I do and have shot a lot, so I haven't learned why I shouldn't.

So.....why shouldn't i?

Whoops, I don't cross.....just not pointed forward.
    Depending on what exactly Rocky meant by crossing your thumbs, it can result in your hands getting in the way of the path of the slide, which can actually cut your hand. I've seen some great wounds at the range from people using an incorrect grip. If you don't shoot with thumbs pointed forward, you may find that you don't shoot as accurately as you will with the thumbs forward grip.

Of course if you've been using a different grip long enough and you can shoot well with that grip, then I wouldn't necessarily advocate changing your grip. However, the thumbs forward is generally a better grip for reasons of accuracy, safety, and control.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Right hand shooter ...... ????

Either one handed , or

Left hand flat -- with bottom of right hand sitting in the palm of the left hand, now grip the bottom of your right hand with your left hand.
    It's like sitting your right hand in the palm of a cupped left hand. Keep fingers and body parts all away from the wheel area, unless you don't care if you lose them.
    I wouldn't recommend the tea-cup grip. There are better ways to grip a pistol that will allow for better control and stability.

To keep this on topic, I am proficient in semi-autos. I use a thumbs forward grip, and in fact, my right thumb (shooting hand) is relaxed.

Looking at revolvers, here.

The thumbs forward like in pic 1 works just fine... Just wondering what others find successful for revolvers.

GGs
    BGs

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    To keep this on topic, I am proficient in semi-autos. I use a thumbs forward grip, and in fact, my right thumb (shooting hand) is relaxed.

Looking at revolvers, here.

The thumbs forward like in pic 1 works just fine... Just wondering what others find successful for revolvers.

Sorry, it was off-topic, but I was just trying to answer a question.

For a revolver, I maintain the thumbs forward grip and that works great for me. It's also more comfortable, since it is my natural grip with a semi-auto. It also helps to maintain consistency, in my opinion.

Of course, if you're shooting a snubby vs. a larger revolver, the thumbs forward may cause you to come in contact with the cylinder. When that happens, I just bend my thumbs so that the tips of my thumbs are pointed at more of a downard angle, so that they are out of the way of the cylinder. If I could upload a picture of what I mean by that, I would.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Depending on what exactly Rocky meant by crossing your thumbs, it can result in your hands getting in the way of the path of the slide, which can actually cut your hand.
    I appreciate the philosophy of keeping things as simple as we can, but certain skills do not translate between revolvers and autos. Proficient shooters do have the capacity to smoothly transition between platforms, which is part of the fun of three gun competitions. I need to slightly adjust my thumbs between my 1911 and my Walther PPS, but my auto grip in general is thumbs pointed toward the target. Things change when I transition to revolvers, just as things change when I transition from rifle to shotgun, or even between shotguns with different style safeties.

Tucking both thumbs down and out of the way on the weak side of the grip works for medium and large frames like your Ruger. If you can use this grip on all of your revolvers, all the better.

There is nothing wrong with practicing a crossed thumbs grip on small frame revolvers. On my Sw&W 442, it is easy to get fingers near the front of the cylinder (ouch!) or interfering with the operation of the cylinder. Crossing thumbs across the back gets a 360 grip on that tiny frame with .38 +P rounds. Again, if you can have one grip that works for you for all revolvers, all the better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links