Some Good News for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Some Good News for Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nebraska Furniture Mart, which has been on my personal boycott list for a while, is reversing it's firearm ban for customers and employees. Nebraska Furniture ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Some Good News for Concealed Carry

VIP Member

Nebraska Furniture Mart, which has been on my personal boycott list for a while, is reversing it's firearm ban for customers and employees.

Nebraska Furniture Mart to allow employees, customers to carry guns | fox4kc.com

I think this is very good news, especially coming at a time when it's not going to be seen as politically correct to make policy changes that are pro-firearm.

This, hopefully, is also a great example of why we should always make a polite, but firm, stance on our rights and let these companies know in writing. NFM has received more than one letter from me in the past containing a polite conversation about the business that they lost due to their policy. I also plan to send them a new letter commending their decision, since I fully realize that they will probably receive some negative attention due to the policy change.
    bigmacque, Fitch, RickyD and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm in the polite but firm camp as well. Let the other side act out their fantasies with unwarranted rage.
    TX expat, Fitch and .45acpguy like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

In that article I don't see NFM allowing all employees with permits to carry. It says some security personnel will be armed, after training.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

That's great news! It's too bad they were formerly against carrying, I liked their store in Omaha.

I wonder what really changed their minds? Not only did the signs come down, but now employees can be armed? Something happened...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wonder what really changed their minds? Not only did the signs come down, but now employees can be armed? Something happened...
    Yeah, I've been pondering that as well. I'm sure it wasn't because I wrote them a time or two, but obviously something caused them to change policy. Maybe they had a management change or something like that. Dunno, but whatever it is, I'll take it!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Maybe they simply realized anytime, anyplace--including theirs.
    ep1953 and TX expat like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Sounds like the light finally went on in someones head.
    TX expat likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    In that article I don't see NFM allowing all employees with permits to carry. It says some security personnel will be armed, after training.
    Nobody said all employees could carry, only that they are changing their policy for customers and employees. As is stands right now, there are no armed security services at their stores, so even just allowing certain employees to carry is a positive step; especially for the other employees, as well as the customers that choose to not arm themselves.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I know nothing about that state's laws, but I think they'll find having "armed security" create obstacles they haven't considered. In Fl, that would require an entirely different licensing above and beyond an individual concealed weapons license.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It seems the article linked has some information about the policy change:

In defense of the company's policy changes, Batt (the company's executive vice president) said months of outside research and discussion went into the decision.

“We consulted experts in corporate and personal security. We didn't do this on our own.

We consulted the best minds on this strategy. It's only because we want to protect people,” said Batt. “Our goal is that this kind of thing will never be needed.”
    Nebraska Furniture Mart plan to arm security staff called leap into uncharted territory - Omaha.com
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I know nothing about that state's laws, but I think they'll find having "armed security" create obstacles they haven't considered. In Fl, that would require an entirely different licensing above and beyond an individual concealed weapons license.
    My guess is that's the case is just about every state. That, however, is not an "obstacle", it's just a process that needs to be gone through. Remember that old saying, the difference between a stepping stone and a stumbling block is the height to which one raises one's foot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post
    My guess is that's the case is just about every state. That, however, is not an "obstacle", it's just a process that needs to be gone through. Remember that old saying, the difference between a stepping stone and a stumbling block is the height to which one raises one's foot.
    Yeah, based on the second article, they obviously have done their homework so I'm guessing they fully understand the path needed to arm staff.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    and

From the article ~"Batt cited incidents in which store employees have encountered people carrying weapons inside the store, including someone brandishing a knife.

“Times have changed,” Batt said. “You look at college campuses, retail establishments. ... We only have one mission here, and that's the safety of the staff and customers. We're sending a message that we will not tolerate any bad behavior.”
    There you have it.

Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Nobody said all employees could carry, only that they are changing their policy for customers and employees. As is stands right now, there are no armed security services at their stores, so even just allowing certain employees to carry is a positive step; especially for the other employees, as well as the customers that choose to not arm themselves.
    Both your lead sentence, and the article's headline, simply say "employees", without any further qualification or limitation. Without the detail further down in the article that the policy appears to only allow certain selected and trained employees (security) to carry, the headline is a tad misleading.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links