CC in WI, MN and FL..questions

This is a discussion on CC in WI, MN and FL..questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, guess I have a bit of a situation here. I took a CC class here in Wisconsin (NRA pistol safety with live fire). Come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CC in WI, MN and FL..questions

Ok, guess I have a bit of a situation here. I took a CC class here in Wisconsin (NRA pistol safety with live fire). Come to find out that you must have a WI ID or WI DL. I have neither and can get neither. My DL is from FL and has been since I was 16. I can't get a WI photo ID without surrendering my FL DL which I won't do. I own a house in FL, I own one in Wisconsin. I want to get my CC in FL and wanted one up here too. Seems my only alternative is to get one from MN which is reciprocated to cover Wisconsin. Its the only nearby non-resident one I can get. With the combo of FL and MN, I am covered in any state I actually want to visit.

So, do I have to take another class over in MN or can I use the one from here? Same for Florida, do I have to take another class down there? I am currently in Wisconsin, physically so it would be a weekend trip to MN if I had to do a course there. If I do, I don't consider the class here wasted, education is never wasted time. Just seems a PITA if I have to take more classes in other states.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I'm no lawyer but you will have to be careful here. You say you have a DL from Florida and it is the only one you intend to have. So I assume your declared residence is in FL. Regardless of of which non-resident permit you have, it may not be honored here in Wisconsin. Because you live here you may still be seen as a resident and because you are a resident you need to have a Wisconsin permit to carry in this state. Again, I'm not sure exactly how that would work so I would get clarification if I were you.

To answer your question though, you don't need any other training to get a Minnesota non-resident permit. Your NRA Basic Pistol certificate will work with one caveat. I think there is a time limit from when you received your training up until you apply for a permit. I think it is one year. After that you have to get training again.

The course you took may suffice for getting a Florida and Minnesota permit. Since you seem to consider yourself a Florida resident who also spends time in WI, the FL permit should be your first (IMO).

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy
    of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or
    a similar agency in another state;

any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
    junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
    certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department
    of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special
    deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by
    the National Rifle Association.

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. ....
    MN requirements
    Training in the safe use of a pistol.

(a) An applicant must present evidence that the applicant received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application. Training may be demonstrated by:

(1) employment as a peace officer in the state of Minnesota within the past year; or

(2) completion of a firearms safety or training course providing basic training in the safe use of a pistol and conducted by a certified instructor.

(b) Basic training must include:

(1) instruction in the fundamentals of pistol use;

(2) successful completion of an actual shooting qualification exercise; and

(3) instruction in the fundamental legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use, including self-defense and the restrictions on the use of deadly force.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Yes, you can get a FL CCW permit fairly easy, but states will consider your residency based upon your DL.
    You can use the copy of the class you passed for your FL permit.

You can have lots of houses, but can only 'legally' declare ONE as your main residence. I have known some individuals who tried to claim two main residence to save on house taxes...big NO-NO, and that can get you into major problems. Also, you can only vote where you major residence is located, if not, that can cause you some big problems if caught, too.

I would suggest getting your 'records' straight or "you may have some splainin' to do"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    You're making too many excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    The course you took may suffice for getting a Florida and Minnesota permit. Since you seem to consider yourself a Florida resident who also spends time in WI, the FL permit should be your first (IMO).

(2) completion of a firearms safety or training course providing basic training in the safe use of a pistol and conducted by a certified instructor.
    It was #2 in the MN requirements that caused this thread. I can't find anywhere that says that an instructor certified to teach NRA Pistol Safety course (with live fire) is "certified" for MN.

They offer no out of state instructor list. They don't list any detailed course qualifications. FL specifically lists NRA certified courses, MN does not.

Yes, I consider FL my primary residence but I do live and work here as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The tough part is Florida does not honor either WI or MN permits, so it's doubtful either of them would honor FL's. FL has no "non-resident" licenses, only licenses issued to non-residents.

Where do you live, meaning what state do you reside in, working, pay taxes in, etc. And you may want to give careful consideration in your answer as WI, MN, and FL may all have different views on what establishes residency. Some state, if you work there for "X" days, you must registar vehicles, pay that state's taxes, etc. Mere ownership of property in a state does not establish residency.

If you intend to live in WI or MN, you need to make up your mind to "reside' there, establish residency, get a DL from that state, and then apply for a permit in that state.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    You're making too many excuses.
    No, I don't think so. I would like to get the I-65 corridor covered as I travel it a lot between FL and WI. I have family here. I have family in FL. I grew up in FL. Its home. I will retire permanently there at some point. My DL is from FL. My truck is registered in FL. My car is registered in WI. So yes, I have a serious presence in both states.

I will be heading back down to FL this summer and will take care of my CC there during that time. I suppose I could get my prints taken here and send them but it would be easier to simply go to the sheriff down there and have the prints taken and the CC delivered to my home there. Less questions that way.

It pisses me off to no end that WI is not covered by a FL CC. If it were, I would be done with a single permit. MN does not cover the south west (mainly TX as I have family there) nor the south east (FL,AL etc) but it does cover WI which only issues CCs to WI residents only. Without changing my DL and primary residence to WI, I can't get a WI CC. So I have to get two the way I see it. I don't have much other choice that I can see.

Here is the answer to your "problem".

#1 Keep FL residency and get a FL resident CCW.

#2 Get a Utah non-resident permit (It covers both MN and WI)

Problem solved.

What he ^^^ said.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post

Problem solved.
    So why UT instead of MN? I am not questioning the advice, I am asking the reasoning.

Problem solved.
    This would appear to be a good solution.

VIP Member
    I don't think the FL permit is valid in WI so you would need to get another permit maybe from Utah. Most classes around here have an option for the Utah permit. Takes about 60 days.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    So why UT instead of MN? I am not questioning the advice, I am asking the reasoning.

Utah covers more states than the MN one.

Problem solved.
    This.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links