MO CC laws

This is a discussion on MO CC laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in St. Louis Missouri and I can’t seem to find the CC laws of St. Louis. I know Missouri allows CC with a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: MO CC laws

MO CC laws

I live in St. Louis Missouri and I can’t seem to find the CC laws of St. Louis. I know Missouri allows CC with a permit but what I’m not sure about is all the little cities/ neighborhoods in St. Louis. I know St. Louis is weird in the city of St. Louis has St. Louis city laws and St. Louis county laws…then there are laws that each neighborhood inside of the city or county has too.

For example: I think Manchester allows CC but Ellisvile doesn’t… both are in St. Louis county and both are adjacent to each other but one allows CC and the other doesn’t. This means that I could carry on one side of the street and be illegal on the other side of the street..
    Does anyone know where to find the restricted areas in st. Louis?

I found the state laws here:
    RSMO-Chapter 571

but it makes no reference to city ordinances…

2. Remove Ads

Have you talked to your local LE officials? I'd imagine your Sheriffs office could help you out. Don't rely on internet forums for legal advice.

Concealed Carry is legal everywhere in Missouri with a permit, individual municipalities cannot override State Law. Open Carry is a different matter, municipalities can ban it but there is no readily available database stating where it is not legal.

if there were ever a place to CC, its STL. Just stay away from the BLACK state to the east. I CC everywhere in STL

...there shouldn't be any...MO has a strong preemptive state law with the exception of allowing city gov'ts to regulate OPEN carry...look up the state law and see what it says...
    ...I don't rely on law enforcement agencies to tell me what the law says about matters...too many times, I've been given answers contrary to and more restrictive than the law...find it and read it for yourself...the Sheriff's office won't be in court with you, should you ever have a problem because of what "they said"...

Quote Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
    I live in St. Louis Missouri and I can’t seem to find the CC laws of St. Louis. I know Missouri allows CC with a permit but what I’m not sure about is all the little cities/ neighborhoods in St. Louis. I know St. Louis is weird in the city of St. Louis has St. Louis city laws and St. Louis county laws…then there are laws that each neighborhood inside of the city or county has too.

For example: I think Manchester allows CC but Ellisvile doesn’t… both are in St. Louis county and both are adjacent to each other but one allows CC and the other doesn’t. This means that I could carry on one side of the street and be illegal on the other side of the street..
    Does anyone know where to find the restricted areas in st. Louis?

I found the state laws here:
    RSMO-Chapter 571

but it makes no reference to city ordinances…
    TX expat likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...there shouldn't be any...MO has a strong preemptive state law with the exception of allowing city gov'ts to regulate OPEN carry...look up the state law and see what it says...
    ...I don't rely on law enforcement agencies to tell me what the law says about matters...too many times, I've been given answers contrary to and more restrictive than the law...find it and read it for yourself...the Sheriff's office won't be in court with you, should you ever have a problem because of what "they said"...
    ^^^this^^^ would be my answer as well, but I don't spend much time in STL, so I don't have any reason to test that. Political subdivisions can enforce open carry ordinances, but I do not believe that they can legislate concealed carry.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

From Handgunlaw.us
    State Preemption

Cities and counties may not regulate any aspect of firearms, except open carry and discharge within the
    jurisdiction. See the full statute for additional details.
    Ransom likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

CCW is legal everywhere in MO with a CCW permit. Only open carry can be limited by local government.
    "Then He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money-bag should take it, and also a traveling bag. And whoever doesn't have a sword should sell his robe and buy one." Luke 22:36

Links