After 12 years of marriage...

This is a discussion on After 12 years of marriage... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Wednesday my wife, who has always been afraid of having guns around the house, asked me to take her to the range this weekend! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: After 12 years of marriage...

VIP Member

On Wednesday my wife, who has always been afraid of having guns around the house, asked me to take her to the range this weekend! On Thursday she told me that she wants to get her weapons license AND she wants our daughter and oldest son to do the same (our youngest is only 7, so it is a little early for him)!

I have owned guns since well before we were married, but only recently started carrying. I have been working on her for years, but I didn't push it and only stepped up the discussions over the last 6 to 8 months. Her first time firing a handgun was about a month ago and she liked the experience. I did not push after I took her to the range the first time; I waited for her to bring it up again. I think that a combination of recent news about shootings, her own strong political views, and having me carry openly around the house (which got her comfortable) finally worked.

I am going to be looking for advice on female carrying options in the not too distant future and I can't wait!
    Phaedrus, Foxy, ccw9mm and 13 others like this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Your patience paid off. Congrats
    RickyD likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Congrats...it took my wife 32 years to come around.
    RickyD likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Congrats...it took my wife 32 years to come around.
    Wow, I thought I was just a slacker! It just goes to show that accurate information and patience can work.

Try'n to push a woman into ANYTHING usually results in just as strong a push back. They aren't stupid, just given to making decisions based on emotions more than men (yes, I know, we can all think of situations where men have made emotional decisions). Given accurate data, a little bit at a time, and plenty of room to decide for themselves, they'll make decisions just as good as men do. And I don't have a problem with that, as long as they don't ask me to decide what's for dinner!

Congrats, RickyD.

I have a similar story about my wife, although we've been married more than 12 years!

She recently mentioned that she wants to learn more about guns/shooting/safety; I hope this leads to a trip to the range as well.

Let us know how it goes, thanks for the encouraging post.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have been married over 40 yrs to this wife so I have experience with women. Getting them come around to your way of thinking is like trying to push a chain uphill.

May I suggest you get her a series of books titled "Armed and Female" by Paxton Quigly. They come in paperback and written for women by a woman. Paxton also has other books out but this three part series are the best for a female that is new to shooting. I suggest it to all those I work with as new shooters and all those that read it, praise it. You can get it from Amazon.com for a couple of dollars.
    Last edited by oldman45; April 13th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
    RickyD likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Congratulations! My wife has been exposed to guns her entire life but getting her carry or go shooting is out of the question. Enjoy your time with this experience, It's nice to have common interests with your wife. Another bonus is knowing she will be able to protect herself.
    RickyD likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Have her check out limatunes on YouTube for valuable info on women's concealed carry
    RickyD and Aceoky like this.

My wife likes to shoot my Rossi .357, she prefers .38 special, I'm hopeful she will come around but I am not pushing.

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Taking her shooting and then waiting till she brought it up again . . Very well played, good job.
    RickyD likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Clip: "I am going to be looking for advice on female carrying options in the not too distant future and I can't wait!"

This one worked for me.

long-tailed-macaque-monkey-adopts-kitten-carry-cat-like-human.jpg
    RickyD likes this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Congratulations to all of you.

She'll realize that protecting the family and keeping them safe from self-inflicted negligence can indeed coexist in the same house. All it takes is responsible preparation, diligent attention to the basics, and working it into the lifestyle. Weapons in our hands needn't be threatening. The threat is out there, in the hands of violent criminals who don't give a whit about us or our loved ones.
    RickyD likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Congrats on your wife coming around.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your wife's endeavours.

IMO, there's an old saying that I think holds true for a lot of people, "People are afraid of things they don't understand". Not too long ago, I was showing a friend of mine a S&W 642, his wife happened to be there, and as soon as she saw it she said, "where is the safety", "where is the safety". After I gave her a thorough explanation, she calmed down, and felt much more comfortable.

I've been real lucky, my bride of many years, didn't come from a gun family, but has never been opposed to firearms. She's done very well, in a job-related situation she became part of an arrest team along with being POST qualified. She has had her permit for several years and is very comfortable with both of us CCW. In fact she encourages me to be armed as much as possible. I really don't need any encouragement, but I'm happy to hear her support nonetheless.

I do get a few teasing complaints about some gun purchases I might make. She see's my gun purchases as lost opportunities for jewelry purchases for herself.

She's not an avid "shooter", but is willing and competent with a firearm. She's a good sport about it too, here is a photo of her very first shot with a .460, shooting at a can of water. I know I'm lucky.
    Attached Images
    RickyD likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links