A Hard Decision

This is a discussion on A Hard Decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my ccl for about a month now and I have been carrying my grandfathers old CZ-27 in 32 acp that he had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A Hard Decision

A Hard Decision

I have had my ccl for about a month now and I have been carrying my grandfathers old CZ-27 in 32 acp that he had passed down to my father. It is a nice gun but it has some problems and in my opinion not all that reliable. With that being said I have made the "difficult" decision to go and get a new carry gun. After doing some research I was starting to lean towards a Kimber Pro Carry II but after doing a little thinking I realized that it was a little too expensive. So yesterday I found some down time before going to work so I decided to go to my lgs and talk to the guys down there and have them give my their opinions. After a nice two and a half hour chat with the guys at the store, I have narrowed my selection down to either a Springfield XD in 45 acp or a Para Ordnance Elite 1911. So I guess what i'm asking for is your opinions on these two guns. This is my first post so please forgive me if I forgot any details. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum........

You will find that you will get many opinions here on which firearm is the best.... With that said, the best way to find a weapon you will like is to find a gun store with a range that rents handguns to try before buying...... A carry weapon is a personal thing... What I like may not be suited for you..... There are some weapons that all one needs to do is pick it up and its "love at first grip"...

Good luck in your search for the right firearm for you........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

...between the two you narrowed down to, I would choose the XD...personal experience with the CS depts of both companies plays a good part of that choice...I much prefer dealing with Springfield...and love the way the XD fits my hand...

...welcome and whichever you choose for your first one, enjoy!!!
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcocked94 View Post
    I have had my ccl for about a month now and I have been carrying my grandfathers old CZ-27 in 32 acp that he had passed down to my father. It is a nice gun but it has some problems and in my opinion not all that reliable.
    If you're comfortable with the CZ but concerned about its reliability, you might want to consider the CZ 2075 RAMI, P-01 or the D Compact PCR. In that same class of high reliability is also the H&K P2000SK, though it'll be more expensive than these others. All are exceptional.

Can't offer any info on the two you mentioned (XD45, Para Elite) as I haven't had them or shot them.
    glockman10mm and gasmitty like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

There are many fine guns on the market. Not all will suit you and your requirements. While talking to the experts (and I use the term loosely) at the gun store, I would not base a purchase on what they told you. Go to a gun range and actually shoot the different guns. Then make a decision on what one fits your needs.
    oneshot and MrsHB like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum!

I have an older Para Ordnance P14 and have had no problems with it, but I have been reading about several issues with the newer Paras that all seem to involve the new, power extractor.

On the othedr hand, the XD is a striker fired pistol, and that is something I have not been able to warm up to. I prefer hammer fired pistols. Just my opinion, many people swear by them.

As suggested earlier, I would encourage you to look at the newer CZs, they are very good pistols.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

+1 on finding a range that you can rent and fire several different pistols.

For a carry gun, I'd look for something more concealable than a full size service pistol. I cc my 1911 and a full size polymer 9mm 40% and a compact polymer (15rd) 9mm 60% of the time. Aside from the weight savings, the compact is much more concealable when carrying OWB, which is IMHO, is more comfortable than IWB.

YMMV

Buying a new gun should never be a hard decision, just a happy conundrum!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...between the two you narrowed down to, I would choose the XD...personal experience with the CS depts of both companies plays a good part of that choice...I much prefer dealing with Springfield...and love the way the XD fits my hand...

...welcome and whichever you choose for your first one, enjoy!!!
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^

I am partial to S$W, That said, you could also get to the bottom of why your Grandfathers .32 isn't all that reliable.
    It should be.
    How dirty is it?
    What brand bullets are you using?
    Does it MALF with all brands of ammo?
    You may need new springs in the Pistol and Mag.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thank you all for your comments.

As for the gun I carry now, I clean and oil it every or every other week. I believe the problem is the spring in the trigger. The only problems I've had with it is the occasional failure to cycle and the trigger does not re-engage and has to be pulled out in order to be fired again.

OP, by all means both perform a deep cleaning on your old family gun (ideally using an ultrasonic cleaner) and get a set of new springs for that venerable gun.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcocked94 View Post
    As for the gun I carry now ... The only problems I've had with it is the occasional failure to cycle and the trigger does not re-engage and has to be pulled out in order to be fired again.
    Your carry gun goes inoperable due to trigger failure? Or, you just need to shove it forward a bit before it'll reset?

Either way, I'd take it out of carry duty until you get this resolved. If forced to defend yourself and use this gun, the heat of the moment is likely to blow your ability to use it effectively, if the trigger fails.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I understand what you're saying ccw9mm, but (I know I shouldn't get into the what if's but...) some times the situation you are in can be diffused by only showing your firearm and not having to pull the trigger. And at the end of the day the gun will still go boom just not repeatedly. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Welcome to the forum........

You will find that you will get many opinions here on which firearm is the best.... With that said, the best way to find a weapon you will like is to find a gun store with a range that rents handguns to try before buying...... A carry weapon is a personal thing... What I like may not be suited for you..... There are some weapons that all one needs to do is pick it up and its "love at first grip"...

Good luck in your search for the right firearm for you........
    +1 to this. While the Para would be a nice gun the xd is a working gun a tool to be used. we have the 9mm and it has been totally reliable. For defensive purposes the xd gets my nod for a gun that works in all conditions.

My preference for a CC gun is the H&K P2000sk with an LEM trigger. That leads to a gun safely carried with no safety or anything else to concern yourself with. One may cost a bit more than some options you're looking at. A mid-size or smaller Glock is another option, a bit less expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links