Will new gun owners be less committed and/or have less skills after CT?

This is a discussion on Will new gun owners be less committed and/or have less skills after CT? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post raised questions in my mind, primarily....up until the recent scare after Newtown, CT, did most CC permit holders do so for specific reasons, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Will new gun owners be less committed and/or have less skills after CT?

Will new gun owners be less committed and/or have less skills after CT?

This post raised questions in my mind, primarily....up until the recent scare after Newtown, CT, did most CC permit holders do so for specific reasons, like work, living in or driving thru bad areas, etc or for general self-defense, to protect their families, and because they want to. Or perhaps because they chose to exercise their 2 Amendment rights?

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    With current hysteria about weapons and weapon carry in general: I expect you will see more instances of bystanders getting caught in the crossfire in the future.
    In the past CCW was generally limited to people that carried for a specific reason ( I carry lots of cash or valuables, I frequent bad areas because of work, ect. ) now there are many, many more people walking around armed, many of them having just got a carry permit and bought a weapon. Some of these people are simply walking around armed for no other reason than it is their right
    and eventually they are going to run into a situation that may cause them to make a bad decision.

There is an ammo shortage right now causing many to put off range visits because of cost and availability. Some simply think they are not going to have a problem with a running gunfight and will have the need for 4-6 extra 15 round magazines, they will shoot down a gang of armed assailants and then have to take on the Hells Angels to boot.

It is simply my opinion that the chances of mishaps will be higher with the number of people carrying guns per ca pita. The current combination of hysteria causing many "new" less experienced pistoleros (sp?) to be walking around out there seeking truth, justice, and the American way and the admitted by all lack of practice with those new weapons is a recipe for disaster and many ruined lives.
    Latent's concern is that with so many people choosing carry...just because they can/to exercise their 2A rights...that there will be more accidental incidents with CC permit holders.

Does anyone else share this perception? He stated that before Newtown, most people had 'reasons' to CC, giving some type of legitimization to such things? (my interpretation)....and would therefore be more likely to be properly trained.
    We did see a rise in NRA memberships. I was one of them after Newtown. I also went out and purposely bought a new gun specifically to add to the numbers of guns being purchased.

Does that mean I'm untrained or not committed to carrying my weapon responsibly?

And why do I carry? As a Democrat...hey....nothing bad even happened to me to make me decide to buy a gun and then CC. I had an interest, took a ladies gun class, and a week later had my permit. Scared yet? LOLOLOL I had no 'compelling need' to carry. Except for the one that means the most to me: self-defense.

I have since spent many hours training in both self-defensive shooting and mounted shooting. I took my responsibilities seriously...is there an expectation that many new gun owners will not?

(A similar question came up in the 'mandatory training' threads).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    No, not really. I think most CC people are trying to take a proactive measure to take care of their self defense needs, which in turn tends to make them want to shoot more...at least that is the way I have been myself and the way most others, that have permits that I know of, want to be as well. People buy firearms, for the 95% of them, because they want to go shoot. We all know how that goes once we hit the range, it tends to become an obsession.

I guess what I am saying is that gun ownership and permits to carry kind of go hand in hand, and people around the country are starting to see how little the system can do to protect them in the face of a violent attack. JMHO.
    ccw9mm and Aceoky like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Nope. The increase in ownership and concealed carry will not appreciably increase accident rates. Having said that, there will not be any scientific protocols to prove or disprove our conclusions.
    sparkykb, sixgun and Betty like this.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I do think a good number of new firearms owners will be less skilled as they will have less training. I say this due to the ammo situation - high demand, low supply and high prices. I contend more seasoned shooters tend to practice with a decent personal ammo inventory, dry fire or rely on a long personal history in the shooting sports. I don't think a lot of new owners have the skills ingrained into their DNA yet. The result could very well be more collateral damage. JMHO....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I'm in the same boat as you since I got into it when I started living on my own as of last December. I didn't really do so to represent the 2A but more because I could and I wanted to. I took the training and started practicing and I'm still training and practicing.

To assume that you carry because you want to represent and support the 2A is a false premise. We all have our own personal reasons why we carry and there isn't another person out there who gets to weigh in on whether or not you should. Enjoy that thing called freedom that most take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    This post raised questions in my mind, primarily....up until the recent scare after Newtown, CT, did most CC permit holders do so for specific reasons, like work, living in or driving thru bad areas, etc or for general self-defense, to protect their families, and because they want to. Or perhaps because they chose to exercise their 2 Amendment rights?

Latent's concern is that with so many people choosing carry...just because they can/to exercise their 2A rights...that there will be more accidental incidents with CC permit holders.

Does anyone else share this perception?

We did see a rise in NRA memberships. I was one of them after Newtown. I also went out and purposely bought a new gun specifically to add to the numbers of guns being purchased.

Does that mean I'm untrained or not committed to carrying my weapon responsibly?

And why do I carry? As a Democrat...hey....nothing bad even happened to me to make me decide to buy a gun and then CC. I had an interest, took a ladies gun class, and a week later had my permit. Scared yet? LOLOLOL I had no 'compelling need' to carry. Except for the one that means the most to me: self-defense.

I have since spent many hours training in both self-defensive shooting and mounted shooting. I took my responsibilities seriously...is there an expectation that many new gun owners will not?

(A similar question came up in the 'mandatory training' threads).
    Don't forget blood running in the streets, there will be accidental shootings, road rage, domestic shootings, arguments at poker games, children getting shot while playing with guns and all kinds of other mass destruction. This is what we were told when states were first passing concealed carry laws.

You and I both know it hasn't happened. The Brady bunch knows it hasn't happened and as a result they try to latch onto every tragedy such as Sandyhook to try to further their cause.

But you are also right in being concerned. New firearm owners should get all the training they can, study the laws and be responsible. But then again, we all need to continue training and studying.
    MrsHB likes this.

We will never know if there will be an effect one way or the other, be it more incidents, less, or unchanged.

You get these figures from the media. Polls, studies and such.

Yessir, the unbiased, unprejudiced, objective media. You can trust them to lay it out for you. They are honest folk who only want to inform us with facts.

As I said, we will never know....unless it is a negative aspect.
    ep1953 and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

Does anyone else share this perception? He stated that before Newtown, most people had 'reasons' to CC, giving some type of legitimization to such things? (my interpretation)....and would therefore be more likely to be properly trained.

I was with you... right up until the "Democrat" part...

I suspect that most of the people who aren't serious enough to get more training, won't be committed enough to overcome the inconvenience of carrying regularly. Gun will end up collecting dust or being sold.

Just my opinion.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I have owned a gun since 1986. I practice and take gun safety VERY seriously. Minnesota became a shall issue state in 2005. It took me until this year to finally get my permit. I do not carry because I can or it is my right, if I did, I would have run out on day one to get my permit.

While Newtown had some bearing on my decision, Aurora was the tipping point for me. I choose to carry not to protect myself, but those around me from such an atrocity. I am prepared to defend. I hope I never have to.

Having said that, while it does concern me there are a number of people carrying that haven't taken the steps needed to properly handle a weapon, I don't think we will see a rise in bystander injury. Even in Minnesota, where the requirements to obtain the permit are pretty lax in my eyes (the hardest part is a single live fire test of 10 rounds to see if you can hit the paper at 21 feet), there have been no reports that I know of since 2005.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I was with you... right up until the "Democrat" part...

I get that alot
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

If they are going to have a firearm,they shouldn't be less committed,period.I don't think they would be either.I don't understand why Conn,or,anywhere else,would cause someone to be less committed.

Many will apply for CC. Many more will buy a weapon, and as time goes by many of them will carry less and less. Many that did not apply for CC but purchased one for the home will have to look for it after awhile, Once the newness, the urgency wears off they will not devote the time to it. The devoted Gun continuity will pick up a few new members and we will lose a few .
    Gun owners are going to be a thing of the past. Not this year but before you know it there will be no 2nd amendment. We got lazy, the other side did not. They caught us napping. We though we had it made no turning back 49 with some form of CC , the last about to fall. Then we got blind sided.
    We will keep fighting but the right to bear is on life support and under Obama care they are going to pull the plug.

VIP Member
    If more people are armed, there will be more accidents. Some accidents and bad decisions will be made by newbies, and some will be made by seasoned gun owners.

That is just a fact of statistics, human nature and freedom of choice. There is nothing we can do about this.

The fact that we are concerned that it will be used to as another justification to infringe on the natural right of self defense is what should give us pause.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Many will apply for CC. Many more will buy a weapon, and as time goes by many of them will carry less and less.
    I believe this to be the case as well.

Overall, a relatively small proportion of concealed carry license holders actually carry a firearm on a consistent basis. If someone wasn't licensed and/or didn't carry before, the odds are pretty high that they'll quit carrying once the news hysteria tapers off.

In the meantime, will the increase in concealed carry "newbies" result in more accidents? Maybe, maybe not. Some accidents may occur due to inexperience. On the other hand, some accidents may be caused by seemingly experienced folks that have been lulled into complacency.

I chose to get a gun and carry because I can now. I lived in a state where CC permit wasn't easy to obtain and moved to a shall issue state. So part is for personal protection and the other part is because it is my right. I do agree I was shocked I didn't have to take any firearms classes in order to obtain my permit. I will do so and more than one. But I do feel lots of people won't due to cost. I would love to be able to practice more often but due to cost I don't right now. I take my gun ownership seriously. If I were ever need to use my gun and harm an innocent person I would take it personal. God forbid I were to kill someone because of negligence on my part. I hope I never need to use it other than at the range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links