Stopped at dui checkpoint.

This is a discussion on Stopped at dui checkpoint. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the way home tonight I was stopped at a dui roadblock. Must have been 25 Leo's on the scene. I will admit I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Stopped at dui checkpoint.

Stopped at dui checkpoint.

On the way home tonight I was stopped at a dui roadblock. Must have been 25 Leo's on the scene. I will admit I was a little nervous being the first time I've had to speak with an officer informing him of my permit and firearm.

The details: I had my interior light on with my chp and drivers license in hand. When it was my turn, I handed him both cards and immediately informed him of my permit and that I had a firearm in the car. He nodded and asked where it was, to which I responded "on my hip". Note : my hands never left the steering wheel. He nodded again. He proceeded to ask where I went to high school because I looked familiar. Different schools. Anyway, he then told me to have a good night and I was on my way.

Not a crazy story, but just wanted to share.

This was in Greensboro, NC and it was a city officer.

Sent from blah blah blah....
    Kennydale and 84160 like this.

2. Remove Ads

If he didn't freak out, take your gun, unload it...put it in the trunk for your safety and his? It was a good night.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Glad everything worked out smoothly for you. I do have a problem with police "fishing trips" though.
    103FLHX, blitzburgh, Aiko and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

And that's how it should be done, in a state where it's completely lawful for citizens to carry.

Sounds like he's been 'round the dance floor a few times. Kudos to his basic sense of proportion and professionalism.
    84160, Aceoky, fail_187 and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That's the way it's supposed to happen.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have been stopped by a couple of State troopers before and here in Oklahoma you have to inform them.

They were both totally cool and it was not an issue at all. One of them had me get out of my truck and come back to his vehicle.
    He was a gun guy because I keep my pistol under the steering column and when I got out he saw it.

He asked me as we were walking back to his SUV if it was a Colt.

I've been thru one check point carrying,and got pulled for speeding carrying.I decided to not say anything,just hand them my driver's license, and ccp.I can say both times,no problems.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Not all cops are freaks who wet themselves anytime someone has a legally carried weapon. Glad your experience went well.
    357and40 and 84160 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If he doesn't disarm you for 'officer safety' and sweep you with your own gun, it's a good night. If he doesn't make you put your gun on the roof of your car (where any passerby could nab it) while he goes back to his car and writes you up.; if you don't get sideswiped in the process by a gawker wondering why there's a gun on the roof causing your gun to go flying into the bushes - it's a good night.

Depends upon what state you live in if you are required to inform the officer of your permit and weapon.

Personally, I think a DUI checkpoint is not the place to inform the Officer unless it is a "must inform" state such as Ohio. You really are not being pulled over. I live just across the river from there and if I ever do get pulled over or at a "check point" I know that I must inform. DUI checkpoints are simply that, looking for impaired drivers. So, if you are not impaired, legally carrying your firearm, why do you feel compelled to tell the Police Officer. Courtesy maybe? I think it may not be such a good idea.

I went through a check point last year in the summer as I was going home from a musical engagement, my drumset was in the back of my pick up. The Officer came up to my window and told me good evening. Asked me if I had been drinking. "No" was my answer,"I am going home after playing music, my drums are back there if you want to see them." I also asked if he needed to see my drivers license and that was all. I had my permit and a handgun with me at the time. Since he was only interested in knowing if I was driving under the influence, I did not feel compelled to inform him. Plus, he told me that seeing my drivers license was not necssary and to continue on and have a good evening.

This is the second time that I have been stopped by police and I have not informed them because in those states, I am not required to do so. I just feel that more information you give there will be the one officer who doesn't like concealed carry and make your life miserable. Why give the opportunity, especially now that most of us law abiding owners are "under the gun" by gun haters. It seems that they wish to turn us into criminals even when we are legal.

I also support the police though, I have a good friend in FL who is one. He has told me that if someone wants to tell they have a permit and weapon, he really doesn't need to know that unless they are breaking the law. He is a firm believer in 2A and concealed carry.
    MrsHB, ironmike86 and 9MMare like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

OP: Thats how it goes about 99.99% of the time. It's the .01% that makes it to forums, giving the illusion that leo's are pants wetters around legal firearms.

Archer: I hear ya. Although i've never participated in one (usually the troopers handle those) they do become easier to swallow after you've had to inform a bunch of familes about loved ones that have been killed by a drunk. My last was a mom and toddler (in a stroller) at a bus stop. Drunk veers off the road and runs over the crowd of folks at the bus stop. Kid in the stroller gets killed, and mom is in bad shape. Once you have to tell dad that his kid is dead, and his wife might not make it, the fishing trips become easier to swallow. I guess its just the lesser of two evils.
    Paymeister likes this.

Nc is a must inform state

Sent from blah blah blah....

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We had a roadblock in our tiny burg once, while the entire LEO universe was looking for a cop-killer on the loose. I handed over my driver's license and said, "Also, Sir, I have a concealed carry permit and I am carrying." He replied, "Everyone is these days..." as he handed back my license and waved me on my way.

I *love* living here instead of where we escaped from - that large state out west with all of the coastline, which we don't mention very much now that we're here.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

IMO your best move was being respectful and keeping both hands on the wheel at all times. If you dont have to inform, you're good. If you have to inform, you obviously arent reaching for your cc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Glad all went ok and they didnt freak on ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links