Texas question

Texas question

This is a discussion on Texas question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is Texas a shal inform when stopped by Leo? I was just reading another post and did not want to hi jack it. Some say ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Joonbi
  • 2 Post By Yoda
  • 2 Post By deafdave3
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By Kennydale

Thread: Texas question

Texas question

Is Texas a shal inform when stopped by Leo? I was just reading another post and did not want to hi jack it. Some say show your ccl and some say don't so just wandering if it was mandatory in Texas.
    tony1990 likes this.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Is Texas a shal inform when stopped by Leo? I was just reading another post and did not want to hi jack it. Some say show your ccl and some say don't so just wandering if it was mandatory in Texas.
    Yes it is, but there is no longer any legal penalty if you don't inform.
    (Due to the fact that now, ANYONE legal can car carry, without a CHL).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?

“YES”

Sec. 411.205. Requirement to Display License.
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace
    officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
    holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun
    license.

Note: When an Officer ask you for ID you must then give them your Permit/License to Carry, if you are
    carrying at that time when you give them your ID. If not you are breaking th

Thanks, I thought that was what they said in class but my memory isn't the best.

VIP Member
    Must inform, with the totally irrational ironic twist that non-license holders who carry in their car
    are not held to the same standard.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have always shown the CCL, when the pistol is in the car.

Each time, my penalty was only a warning....

I think the LEOs appreciate it, and cut some slack
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I carry my CHL directly behind my DL so if I ever need to pull it out to show a LEO I am reminded, and hand both together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snub44 and Hopyard like this.

Yes, Texas is a shall-inform state. Louisiana is, also. I think its better practice to inform the officer of my CHL no matter if we're required to or not. I believe telling them I have one right when they walk up would make them more comfortable. Anyone disagree?
    Snub44 and tony1990 like this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    I have always shown the CCL, when the pistol is in the car.

Each time, my penalty was only a warning....

I think the LEOs appreciate it, and cut some slack
    This has been my experience as well.
    Although, since obtaining a CHL my interactions with LEOs have all pertained to burnt out bulbs (headlight and license plate light, on separate occasions).
    So not really something most LEOs would bother writing a ticket for anyway.

"... e law. There is no penalty if you don’t inform them but as a law abiding citizen we must follow the law."

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?

“YES”

Sec. 411.205. Requirement to Display License.
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace
    officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
    holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun
    license.

Note: When an Officer ask you for ID you must then give them your Permit/License to Carry, if you are
    carrying at that time when you give them your ID. If not you are breaking th

...to the OP...here's my memory secret: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...rms/chl-16.pdf
    Hopyard likes this.

Since i have LEOs in my family and have been a truck driver. I seem to have gathered some expertise in dealing with roadside stops. I'd pull over immediately (when safe) I usually would prefer a lit area like going into a gas station. I turn off my car, turn on flashers, turn on inside dome lights, roll window down partially (Never know if it's a phoney) and place hands on wheel in plain sight and wait for officer to approach me. Now that i have a TX CHL YES! the first words out of my mouth would be OFFICER, I have a carry license and i am possession of my weapon.. and wait for his instructions.
    tony1990 likes this.

If you are carrying Yes you must show your CHL at that time. However it would a very smart move on your part if your show your CHL even if you are not carrying and tell the LEO that you are not carrying at that time. The reason I say that is if you are stopped is by a LEO and they check your drivers license and his computer shows that you are a CHL holder they may think you are carrying which could cause a problem. Better to avoid a problem that to start one.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Links