What are the odds?

What are the odds?

This is a discussion on What are the odds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was just thinking: if you don't live in a dangerous area and you carry daily, what are the odds of ever having to use your ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What are the odds?

What are the odds?

Was just thinking: if you don't live in a dangerous area and you carry daily, what are the odds of ever having to use your firearm legally? I was musing that the odds of your pistol corroding, getting left in a toilet stall, dropped and damaged, rolled over by your car, stolen by someone or intentionally discharged is higher than a legally justified shooting. Thoughts?

Edit: with so many folks misunderstanding my angle, I need to clarify. I'm not against carrying. I carry daily like everyone here. I was trying to impart an optimistic spin on things. I carry and I will shoot like Rambo when the "time" comes. But I never want it to come. I'm not bloodthirsty. So I'm musing that it would be a higher probability of having silly mishaps instead of being forced to kill someone. It should have imparted a chuckle and some measure of comfort, not put anyone on the defensive about our chosen lifestyle. To those this thread offended, my apologies.
    Last edited by DetChris; April 16th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Welcome to DC.

I live in a relatively safe area and don't go stupid places with stupid people or do stupid things. Yet I use my carry firearm legally every day, from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. Its presence has a use.

Oh, you're talking about actually drawing and/or firing it? In that case, I use my firearms legally every week, sometimes several times a week. Lots of intentional discharges. Very likely that will happen again today and tomorrow.

Oh, you mean using it to defend myself or others? Not all that likely. Similar odds to my fire extinguisher ever being used. Or my ResQme. Or the fire escape ladders in our upstairs bedrooms. Or the airbags in my car.

But in any case, much, much greater than the odds of my pistol corroding, getting left in a toilet stall, rolled over by my car.

Dropped and damaged? If you do realistic training, this is a risk. Stolen? Yeah, maybe. But you can live in fear or you can live. Your choice.

Remember, When they go deer hunting, they go where the deer are.

My sister and her husband are 'anti's' (Hunting rifles are OK, because he has one, but nobody should have a pistol). They live in a smaller town that is generally much safer than the 'big city' where I live and work.

Guess who found out first hand there's a meth epidemic in their town when they were robbed at knifepoint leaving the mall?

Rust and anti's are the biggest threat to pistols. Especially if you carry them IWB in the hot summer weather.
    NRA Life Member

I hope to never use my gun for self defense but....if the need arises I have the comfort of knowing I have a chance. Like others have said, carrying is an insurance policy. You hope you don't have to put in a claim put you also keep paying for coverage.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    My sister and her husband are 'anti's' (Hunting rifles are OK, because he has one, but nobody should have a pistol). They live in a smaller town that is generally much safer than the 'big city' where I live and work.

Guess who found out first hand there's a meth epidemic in their town when they were robbed at knifepoint leaving the mall?
    Incidents like this one have a way of converting anti's.
    mano3 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Moderator
    The odds of my using my pistol to defend myself are much higher than the odds of it corroding, being left in a toilet stall or being rolled over by a car.

Unless I die of a heart attack sitting in a porta-john that is run over by a car and then left exposed to the elements for a few years.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Was just thinking: if you don't live in a dangerous area and you carry daily, what are the odds of ever having to use your firearm legally? I was musing that the odds of your pistol corroding, getting left in a toilet stall, dropped and damaged, rolled over by your car, stolen by someone or intentionally discharged is higher than a legally justified shooting. Thoughts?
    The odds of my my pistol corroding, getting left in toilet stall or rolled over by my car are almost zero. I don't think it would be prudent to wait until I think I will need a gun or a seat belt to wear one. If I knew I was going to need a gun, I would not need a gun. Same goes for a seat belt. Unfortunatly, we never know before hand that bad things are going to happen. We just have to be prepared.
    perfection likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Where I live I feel the odds of needing it are pretty low, but the only time I'm not packing is when I am going places I'm not allowed (school) cause you just never know.
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

To be clear, I'm carrying daily. And I'm committed to doing so for as long as possible so I'm not saying don't carry. Even of there's a 0.001% chance of a deadly confirmation, that's enough to carry.

But I hope I never live to see that. I'd rather carry and roll over my pistol on the driveway than being forced to gun someone down in self defense. I guess I'm trying to feel better about the odds. No one really wants to kill anyone. At least I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseman1991 View Post
    Where I live I feel the odds of needing it are pretty low, but the only time I'm not packing is when I am going places I'm not allowed (school) cause you just never know.
    Isn't that against the law? Not exactly what a law abiding CCW guy should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Isn't that against the law? Not exactly what a law abiding CCW guy should be doing.
    Read his post again.
    Aceoky likes this.

Define "dangerous area".

Many people who live in "safe" areas don't think they need to worry about self defense until they get home to their mansion in a gated community and find it ransacked because the guy running the meth lab down the street needed cash and knew where to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Read his post again.
    Whoops my bad. I flip flopped it.

I guess one way of looking at it is... before you carried (and I do daily) how many times in your life have you been in a situation where IF you had one, you needed to pull it?

Been on this planet 60 yrs, living in Detroit suburbs most of my life (also CA and GA) and never once was in a situation... maybe I avoid "bad" areas and situations like road raging, maybe just lucky.

Didn't stop me from getting my license and carrying... no house of mine has ever burned down but there's always a first time. Own a couple fire extinguishers too.

And of course hope I never ever have to use either.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post

Oh, you mean using it to defend myself or others? Not all that likely. Similar odds to my fire extinguisher ever being used. Or my ResQme. Or the fire escape ladders in our upstairs bedrooms. Or the airbags in my car.
    Nicely said!

BTW, there was a defensive shooting yesterday here in Dayton. It didn't happen to me.

There were car wrecks today also (which didn't happen to me).

I worry about both.
    Life is about service.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links