My Article: Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns [Florida]

This is a discussion on My Article: Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns [Florida] within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns, Second DCA rules Robert Morris Daily Business Review Case: Little v. State Case Number: 2D11-5098 Judge: Silberman, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: My Article: Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns [Florida]

Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns, Second DCA rules

Robert Morris
    Daily Business Review

Case: Little v. State
    Case Number: 2D11-5098
    Judge: Silberman, C.J.; Northcutt, J., concurring
    Plaintiff Attorney: Kathleen A. Smith, public defender, and Philadelphia Beard, special assistant public defender, Fort Myers
    Defense Attorneys: Timothy A. Freeland, assistant attorney general, Tampa

A felon is entitled to immunity under Florida’s stand-your-ground law, even though he illegally possessed the firearm he used to defend himself, the Second District Court of Appeal ruled.

via Stand-your-ground law even applies to felons with guns, Second DCA rules

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    The scope of the article appears too narrow to form an opinion on the specific case reported. Perhaps there is a timeline in local papers that already answered those questions. There are lots of unclear facts. Was Little charged with unlawful possession of a firearm? Unlawful entry (of the home he was asked to leave)? A crime committed before the altercation? Who was the initiator of the aggression?

Two odd posts in one day. Are we gone fishin'?

Hey man, just shared in case anyone found it interesting. If theres a better forum/subforum where this would better fit, by all means let me know. I get it on details - I have editors and they have space constraints.

I believe Little is being charged with illegal possession. That's also a second degree felony (ten years max not accounting for enhancements). No trespass to my knowledge.

And fishing? I'm a constitutionalist - people can think and say whatever they want.

Sure seems reasonable. So long as a person isn't provoking a situation, and so long as a person isn't engaging in a criminal act against others (such as robbery, etc), a person should indeed be entitled to defend against unwarranted, unjustified, unprovoked violence against him/her. Of course, the statutes still mean criminal possession of a weapon by a felon also applies, and I personally don't see where the felon (who knows the laws regarding this) should get full immunity from it simply because he's involved in a legitimate defensive situation. If that's going to be the case, then it's rather pointless to strip such right to bear arms from any such person. Can't have it both ways, IMO.
    Jetfuelrm and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links