Beginning the process in Fl.

This is a discussion on Beginning the process in Fl. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I knew it was a rather lengthy process to get a CWP here but when you add in the politics involved.. Wow! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Beginning the process in Fl.

I guess I knew it was a rather lengthy process to get a CWP here but when you add in the politics involved.. Wow! I was originally told to make an appt at the Agriculture office and $112.00 and it would expedite the process... Not so much. First open appointment there is August 2nd! So now we are doing it the "mail-in" method. Going down to get finger printed later today, and then stop in for passport photos. Hopefully get everything else filled out and ready to ship off certified in tomorrow's mail!! Then it's just a waiting game for however long it takes to complete. In the meantime I will keep up on the items here in the forum and getting more and more proficient and comfortable with my Glock 27. Great wealth of information here.

Make sure your paperwork is perfect. Have friends who made written errors and caused long delays.

Have ANY Dispositions,, You'll need them ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Where are these long waits? In January I called on a Monday and got an appointment on Thursday. Earlier this month same thing my wife was offered an appointment the same week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsbjax View Post
    Where are these long waits? In January I called on a Monday and got an appointment on Thursday. Earlier this month same thing my wife was offered an appointment the same week.
    Tampa DOA office..

I believe through the mail it must be completed within 90 days from the date they receive it. So if scheduling an appointment is more than 90 days out, you're better off through the mail.

Pro-tip:

Do all of the paperwork and leg work on your own and then hand carry the package to the DOA office in Tampa and give it to them. That's what I did.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Just to be blunt, there are no politics involved, only the masses who waited until after the election to get on board. Politics would include having to get the blessing of your local "Anti" sheriff, which in FL you do not have to do. You fill out the application, get two passport photos from your local Walgreens, drop by the sherifff's office for fingerprints and send it in. Nothing complicated or political in that.

Yes, directly thru the Dept. of AG & CS office is faster, but the waiting list is long, thanks to the late comers. Now it's just as fast in most cases to mail it in. The 90 days to issue starts on receipt, unless there are delays due to improperly completed forms, questions arising during the BC that come up, etc.

A helpful suggestion: Make copy of the application, and get an extra copy of the fingerprints and photo in case something gets lost.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wouldn't call it a lengthy process in terms of requirements, perhaps a longer wait, but still very easy to get.
    Right now, FL leads all the states in 'how many' permits have been issued, and that does take time.

When I got my last renewal, it was only 10 days...door to door. Now it may take a couple of months, that's the price for all the 'gray hairs' arming themselves.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The political part I was referencing really pertained to the way I was addressed when I called the DOA. When I said I needed an appointment it was like "ok" let me set you up. Then she asked what the appointment was for. I explained and she said "oh there is a long wait for that kind of appointment". I asked how long and she put me on hold. Then came back and said it was August. Political may be a bad word choice but it sort of felt that way on the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Dsbjax View Post
    I expect folks with appointments canceled due to the wait so these opened up - I almost did.

My wait for an appointment at the Jax office was 2 months (appointment was Apr 10th - took 12 minutes - money order, ID, DD-214 (clerk took that rather than FL hunter safety course), complete form on computer, e-prints, picture). FWIW, they could probably increase their throughput by at least a third.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer77 View Post
    The political part I was referencing really pertained to the way I was addressed when I called the DOA. When I said I needed an appointment it was like "ok" let me set you up. Then she asked what the appointment was for. I explained and she said "oh there is a long wait for that kind of appointment". I asked how long and she put me on hold. Then came back and said it was August. Political may be a bad word choice but it sort of felt that way on the phone...
    The AG department has different offices and that is why they asked what it was for. No politics involved.

I just had a student that had 81days from mailbox to mailbox.
    boomer77 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by boomer77 View Post
    That's not politics - is demand. Always a long wait time for appts, but if you are willing they can put you down to fill cancelled ones - God thing is that the process goes - or at least used to - quickly that way.

The people there at great - or at least they we're - and there s no "politics" involved.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for the replies. I completed all my paperwork and sent it to Tallahassee via certified mail today. Now it's just wait and keep working on my proficiency with the Glock 27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links