New to CCW and I keep one in the chamber unlocked in my car

This is a discussion on New to CCW and I keep one in the chamber unlocked in my car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my CWP for about 2 months and have really felt good about carrying. Whether at work or around the wife and two young ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New to CCW and I keep one in the chamber unlocked in my car

I've had my CWP for about 2 months and have really felt good about carrying. Whether at work or around the wife and two young kids, I feel good about it, and hope to continue to do so as long as I'm around.

However, I noticed in another thread that most people seem to be locking their gun in a box in their car, or have a lock on their gun in the car, or don't keep a round chambered in the car. I've been keeping my gun in my holster in my center console unlocked, with no lockbox at all, with no lock on the gun itself, and with one round in the chamber. My thought is- if I need it, I want quick access to it if I'm being car jacked, etc. I just 'assumed' this was the way to carry your gun in the car...easy access and one in the chamber.

Why are a lot of you keeping it locked in a box or locked up? Is it for safety reasons, or are you trying to keep it from being stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorShot View Post

Why are a lot of you keeping it locked in a box or locked up? Is it for safety reasons, or are you trying to keep it from being stolen?
    From what I see, most are simply talking about having it in a lock box while away from the vehicle or when traveling through a state where they are not allowed to carry concealed.

They keep it in the lock box when they go someplace where they have to disarm and are not in their car.

If you are legal to carry,why would you leave the gun unlocked in a car? Think of this scenario....you place the gun in the console, unlocked and loaded, and go into a store or work, and when you come out there's a bad guy in your car going through your stuff. You are in quite a dilemma now! I would rather ere on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    If you are legal to carry,why would you leave the gun unlocked in a car? Think of this scenario....you place the gun in the console, unlocked and loaded, and go into a store or work, and when you come out there's a bad guy in your car going through your stuff. You are in quite a dilemma now! I would rather ere on the side of caution.
    That makes sense, but I do carry it wherever I go. What I mean is when I'm unable to bring a gun inside the place where I'm going (restaurant that serves alchohol, bar, bank, etc.) I leave it unlocked in the center console in case someone would grab me getting into my car, carjack, etc. Sometimes I work/eat in some rough areas and would want easy access when entering my car.

I am sure i do not have all the info and do not know how old your kids are but sounds like you have toddlers an have a gun in your console loaded an unlocked. That just sounds like all kinds of crazy.
    heatherr855 likes this.

The lock box is hidden and more secure. If you have to leave it in your car, you should try to keep unauthorized from getting your gun.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Mostly fear of a break in while I'm in school than anything. That being said, if I'm just running into a place for a few minutes that doesn't allow carry, I'll leave it unlocked hidden somewhere such as what you're saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

You would leave a gun in an unlocked car? That's stunningly irresponsible. How hard is it to lock your car? Seriously, I have trouble processing this. What is your thought process that you think this is a good idea?!

I wear my chambered pistol AND I lock my car. Am I being paranoid? WHO CARES?
    cdynaco likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You lock your CAR, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorShot View Post
    I've had my CWP for about 2 months and have really felt good about carrying. Whether at work or around the wife and two young kids, I feel good about it, and hope to continue to do so as long as I'm around.

However, I noticed in another thread that most people seem to be locking their gun in a box in their car, or have a lock on their gun in the car, or don't keep a round chambered in the car. I've been keeping my gun in my holster in my center console unlocked, with no lockbox at all, with no lock on the gun itself, and with one round in the chamber. My thought is- if I need it, I want quick access to it if I'm being car jacked, etc. I just 'assumed' this was the way to carry your gun in the car...easy access and one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    You lock your CAR, right?
    Yeah but I don't think he meant he leaves the car unlocked. Just had bad wording in the title.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Oh ok, I don't think that's irresponsible at all then. Hide it, quick in and out of the post office or whatever...I do that all the time. I thought he was saying he couldn't even bother to lock his car when I exploded with incredulity lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    You would leave a gun in an unlocked car? That's stunningly irresponsible. How hard is it to lock your car? Seriously, I have trouble processing this. What is your thought process that you think this is a good idea?!
    I CC pretty much 24/7. Now and again if I have to disarm for a few minutes I remove the mag and mag goes in a pocket. Gun is out of sight and in my locked up tight truck. I got my share of faults but being/acting like a Gomer ain't one of them.

I always LOCK MY TRUCK. If you carried in your truck what I carry in my truck you'd ALWAYS lock your truck too!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i think most who have the lock boxes i their cars use them in fear of someone breaking into their car and using their gun against them if it wasnt locked up. it makes sense to me. but if i were to leave mine in the car not locked up i would hide mine in a better spot, if someone see a safe they will grab it and get it open later, most of these safes are "secured" using a bike lock type cable and would easily be broken/cut off by a prepared crook. think about it, if someone breaks into your car they will 90% of the time look for valuables they can see out in open which leads to them breaking in, then move on to the glovebox and center console. they would rather not spend alot of time in a broken into car looking for goodies. so if the gun was in the center console or glove box not locked up it would probably be gone. if you hide it somewhere else, say under the seat of in a spot in the car that the molding easily is removed, then they would most likely not look there and your gun would still be there. the shifter on my old car had a large area around it and the molding around that holding the shift boot on was easily removed. if i was carrying when i had that car i would have used that area to safely hide my gun. i would have also mounted a holster in there since there is plenty of room.

think hidden areas most people wouldnt think to look. like in the shifter area like i said. or behind the area where the radio and a/c controls are, there is usually alot of area open underneath there. i would even go as far as making a spot, the little footrest thing by the peddles are usually just dead space and could easily be modified with a hinge to make it a nice little hidden compartment, perfect for pocket pistols ;) this area would only be used when i am not in the car, when i have to leave it alone for a while. when driving it would be back on me or center console for easy access. if i have to leave my gun i would rather it be hidden so that someone is less likely to find it and potentially use it to harm me or others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links