heading CA, what do I need to know to stay legal

This is a discussion on heading CA, what do I need to know to stay legal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; trip coming up, I know I can not carry in CA with my AZ permit, but still would like to have it for the drive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: heading CA, what do I need to know to stay legal

heading CA, what do I need to know to stay legal

trip coming up, I know I can not carry in CA with my AZ permit, but still would like to have it for the drive as we will be coming close to the border and in my room once we get there. From what I have read/ heard asking around on various forms, the firearm can not carry more than 10rnds, when in the car the gun has to be unloaded in a lock box with the mag in a separate secured area.

Other than that, I should be legally able to bring it with me correct? Am I missing anything? Just want everything to be "legal" with no issues.

2. Remove Ads

I would not even take my weapon to California ....and I live 30 minutes from the border :(

if it wasn't for the fact that I will have my wife and kids with me and all the stops we have to make between our house and the California border and were just driving straight through I probably wouldn't,. I really don't care to much once we hit California, my want for it is more on the AZ side, more specifically more of the southern AZ side.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ40 View Post
    Other than that, I should be legally able to bring it with me correct? Am I missing anything? Just want everything to be "legal" with no issues.
    I go there weekly and use a local range there, but I'm under contract with a PD. For travel, the Firearm must have a firearm lock and be in a locked case while traveling. Ammo and Magazine (10 Rounds only, NO 15 round magazines with only 10 rounds) must be in a separate case perferability locked. If stopped by LEO, unless asked I would not volunteer you have a firearm. As for the Hotel, DO NOT leave them in your room!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

To stay legal in CA, leave your gun at home and take rolling papers. If attacked by a BG, fire one up and give it to him and he will forget what he was going to do...and he may even give you his money. I still find it ironic that CA has essentially outlawed firearms but legalized marijuana. I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily go there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

as I have said before, it really is not for the California side, wife is pregnant and gets car sick very easily, so that equals lots of frequent stops.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Unless I knew someone close to the border with whom I could leave my gun, I would leave it at home and equip myself with a good pepper spray-one with a sturdy plastic case that could serve as an impact weapon when gripped in the fist.

Some have suggested leaving it at a convenient gunsmith near the border for cleaning or some other service. Then you just pick it up on the way back. It all depends on your route.

Distinguished Member
    Get two in-car safes (Center of mass safes) Put your UNLOADED mags in one and cable it in the back seat. Put the gun in another and cable it to the passenger seat where you can't readily get at it and put the ammo in the trunk. Make sure you have mags that are 10 rounds or less.

Make sure they are locked and the key on the key ring attached to the car key. I travel there a couple of times per year.

You will be covered that way.

In Car Gun Lockers
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Traveling with Firearms in California (From the California Attorney General)

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 25400 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 25610
    Reading up a bit more and found this, looks like it shouldn't be to much of a hassle as long as that is about all that is required, still need to read through CA Penal Code Section 25610 to see what it says.
    swiftyjuan likes this.

(6) If both of the following conditions are met, by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170, or by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment: (A) The pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is loaded, or both it and the unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from it are in the immediate possession of the person or readily accessible to that person.
    If I understand this part of CA Penal Code 25400 correctly, it basically states that the pistol must be kept in a locked box away from the driver/ owner/ passenger so it cannot be easily loaded and used. I do have a locking case/ lock box that I can put my pistol in, unload it and put on a gun lock/ pad lock and if I have to take the ammunition out of the mag I will do so as well.

Curious though, do they ask if you are carrying at the state border? And do they check?

I know a lot of you are saying keep it at home and don't bother, I want you all to understand that I will not travel the 3-4 hrs through the southern half of the state with my family without it, my wife wants it for the hotel room as she does not have any trust in people anymore.

All I want to do right now is know everything I need to do in order to do everything legally, by the book so I can bring it with us without issues. I'm not trying to sneak anything in, I'm not even going to think about carrying it. I know some may think having a firearm and not carrying it is sacrilegious but I am well aware that there are times you can carry and times you simply can't.

It says that the trunk counts as a locked container.

No. They don't stop you at the border and check unless you are coming from Mexico.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If you take it out of the car to, for instance, spend the night in a motel, it has to remain in a locked container while moving it.

"25610. (a) Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any
    citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
    is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
    or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
    firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
    firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
    the following applies to the firearm:
    (1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
    vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.
    (2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
    motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
    the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
    otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
    or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
    accordance with the provisions listed in Section 16580."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    To stay legal in CA, leave your gun at home and take rolling papers. If attacked by a BG, fire one up and give it to him and he will forget what he was going to do...and he may even give you his money. I still find it ironic that CA has essentially outlawed firearms but legalized marijuana. I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily go there.
    I'm feeling a bit fiesty and a wee tad rum dum. So you won't like my post. It is what it is.

1- Stay the Heck outta Dodge. I mean stay the Heck outta Kali.

2- Bring a wheelgun. You won't need to buy 10R mags. One less thang to ferget.

3- Bring some #225 Zig-Zag rolling papers (in the Orange pack). These are superior papers for rolling 'things'. Don't ask me how I know. A bug in a bush told me OK?

4- Be cool. Be very berry cool.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Dude, like can you repeat that, ummmm i forgot, hmmmmm i'm so wasted

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links