CCW in Louisiana opinions?

This is a discussion on CCW in Louisiana opinions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The situation has developed that I am considering taking a job just outside of New Orleans, LA. One of my major concerns is CCW laws, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW in Louisiana opinions?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

The situation has developed that I am considering taking a job just outside of New Orleans, LA. One of my major concerns is CCW laws, because I plan to EDC (if at all possible). I've had a chance to look over the most obvious of LA law, but I figured the best way to get "the real story" is to talk to some CCW'ers who already live there and carry.

A couple of specific things I'm curious about.

Local laws - In Texas, municipalities are prohibited by state law from regulating the possession or carry of firearms (though some of them do anyway). This is really handy, and I'm wondering if LA has anything similar.

Restricted places of carry - Are there any sneakily worded or just plain dumb ones? I noticed that ALL churches are off-limits, as opposed to Texas, where the church has an option. This blanket restriction is unfortunate, and will force me to disarm while worshiping.

Castle/Duty to Retreat/etc - What's LA's status on all these? Is the condition for actually protecting myself the same as most other states (fear of death or serious bodily injury), or are there any hoops to jump through to be sure I don't step in a giant legal turd if, God forbid, I do ever have to use my weapon in self-defense.

Anything else I forgot. I'm trying to get a feel for what CCW is like over there, specifically near New Orleans. Do people look down on us? Do the cops fear us? Any actual links to LA law would be very helpful too, as I continue my research. Thanks.

What's EDC?

EDC...

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    What's EDC?
    EDC...'every day carry'...I had to ask once, also...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OK, so I'm ADEDCEFPOMC, All Day Every Day Carry Except Federal Property Or Mayo Clinic....

On a serious note, I did go to handgunlaw.us to look over some info--one interesting law was prohibition of carry at a parade or demonstration; it seemed obvious that it was aimed at Mardi Gras type events. Anyway, here's a good link for you: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html I'd be sure to pay special attention to "Prohited Locations" and "Duties of Permitees" there.

As a personal observation and opinion, I'd guess the cops there are about disarming folks given their Gestapo-like practices during the Katrina crisis. And, in spite of the NRA's efforts, Ray Nagin is still around.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 11th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Bob,
    Uncle Sam saw fit to station me in New Orleans (I live about 15 miles south, work in downtown and commute through the Central Business District and French Quarter every day), and I've been here about 7 months. Here's some points I'd like to pass on.

1. Local laws - there aren't really any local laws, per se, that you have to worry about. However, you do have to worry about local law enforcement officers. It is a sad fact of life that many NOPD officers are not trained to even marginal standards. I have heard from a couple different people they are confiscating weapons if they find them, for instance, during a traffic stop and the operator does not have a receipt to prove the weapon is his. I'm still trying to confirm that, but take it FWIW and know New Orleans is known for corruption at all levels.

2. Restricted places of carry - download the PDF available from the LSP website, and study it hard. The biggest thing that will get you is the class whatever license for bars ... I still can't remember the particulars, but I try to stay away from bars anyway.

3. Castle doctrine/duty to retreat - in the PDF, you'll find the statutes relating to this, but no, you do not have a duty to retreat.

4. How is CCW looked upon? A vast majority of people in downtown NOLA don't pay any attention to anyone around them. NOPD believes you should have no weapons under any circumstances. I have yet to deal with the State Police, but I think they might be a little better than NOPD. My only run in with NOPD confirmed everything I had heard about their ignorance and ineptitude.

One thing you probably want to do is print out and carry with you any laws and/or statutes regarding reciprocity. If you have a run-in with the wrong NOPD cop, that might be the only difference between going to jail or going home.

On a similar note, my rule of thumb is to be out of New Orleans before 1900. I consider about 2100-0400 to be the death hours there, and in fact, a vast majority of the shootings take place between those hours. Keep your head about you and use common sense, and you'll be just fine. Also, turn on the local news if/when you get here to get a feel for where NOT to be.

Hope this helps,
    -E5T

Thanks everyone. That pretty much lays it out. Doesn't sound like it's too bad, as long as I don't run into any NO cops (quite a shame).

Quote Originally Posted by CCW FAQ
    You must reside in Louisiana for six months prior to submitting your application.
    hm, nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    You must reside in Louisiana for six months prior to submitting your application.

hm, nuts.
    exactly why i got a florida permit

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    exactly why i got a florida permit
    by that I assume you mean that FL offers non-resident permits that would be valid in LA during that 6 month period?

absolutely.

I am a resident of Louisiana and carry with a Florida Permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    by that I assume you mean that FL offers non-resident permits that would be valid in LA during that 6 month period?
    yes and no ... technically, florida only issues one permit, but they issue it to both residents and non-residents equally ;)

if you choose to go that route, you should get hopping. they say 90 days from start to finish of processing, but mine took almost 60.

I carry in LA with a FL permit. Before LA permit was good in Arkansas it is what many north LA people were getting.

Take the LA Dept of Wildlife hunter course, use that card to get the FL permit if you have not taken anything else.

The N.O. police think only they should have weapons. For the most part they do not know the law and as we saw during Katrina they do not care what the law states. I have heard of them grilling people during traffic stops, wanting to know why they got a permit, why they think they need to carry, etc.

Open carry is legal in LA, I am not brave enough to try it though. Sadly most LEO's have no clue what the law is.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Open carry is legal in LA, I am not brave enough to try it though. Sadly most LEO's have no clue what the law is.
    No kidding. I didn't know that, but it's true. I suppose I could make use of that while waiting for my CCW, provided I have enough sense to stay out of New Orleans.

Anyone here familiar with living in Slidell?

LEOs in St. Tammany Parish (the "county" Slidell is in) are pretty gun-friendly, however it is probably not a good idea open carrying in a developed area - it will attract too much unwanted attention. I have oplenly carried upon occaision and have never had a problem, but things are definitely changing here post-Katrina. Concealed is all-round the best way to go. BTW, regarding the earlier comments about New Orleans LEOs - don't sweat it. While what the earlier poster said is pretty accurate, in post-K New Orleans the police are nowhere to be seen. As long as you keep a low profile, and don't behave like a drunken idiot in the French Quarter, you will not have a problem. I've lived in N.O. for 15 years, in that entire time I've had perhaps one unsolicited encounter with NOPD. For better or for worse, they do not go out of their way to find trouble.

glad to hear. So, does the open carry provision make carry in a church or a restaurant that serves alcohol legal, as long as it's not concealed?

Things in slidell are a bit tougher than the rest of the parish. The city police there are more likely to give you a hard time but they are nothing like N.O. The police in eastern st. tammany seem to be more on edge than western st. tammany.

As far as where you can not open carry I think it is a bar, schools, police station, govt. buildings. I need to look up the statutes.

IIRC there are less restrictions on open carry than concealed carry.

I was wrong so I am editing my post

The law is different for carrying a firearm, and carry a legally concealed firearm.
    This would apply to open carry :
    95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.
    I take this to mean restaurants too. They do not specify like the statutes for concealed carry do.

For Concealed Carry it depends on what alcohol permit they have. There is a general permit, that is where you can't carry. And a restaurant permit, where you can. However, the statute I posted contradicts the CCW law we have as it does not list CCW holders as an exception based on the restaurant alcohol permit.
    Last edited by myusername; November 15th, 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links