South Carolinians with CCW: help explain

This is a discussion on South Carolinians with CCW: help explain within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched the forum for this topic and also the web, but I'm confused about the process of obtaining a CCW in SC. The info ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolinians with CCW: help explain

Question South Carolinians with CCW: help explain

I've searched the forum for this topic and also the web, but I'm confused about the process of obtaining a CCW in SC. The info I've seen on the web is very discouraging and the application process seems exhaustive and a little rediculous. I feel that the info I've looked at might have been changed recently due to the great achievements by Grassroots. Can anyone explain how the application process works in SC? I say this because I may be moving there in the future, and from what I've seen so far makes me not want to (particularly the one year residency policy). Thanks to all!

2. Remove Ads

You must take an 8 hour CCW class. Sit down discussion session. Then you will have to qualify shoot. Done same day. $50 to SLED with signed certification of your achievements. Really not a big deal.

Don't know anything about the 1-year resident thing......

Wait.......................and wait...........
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Residency for SC CCW

I looked at the South Carolina law regarding CCW permits, which can be found here:

SC laws on firearms

I don't see any 1 year residency requirement to obtain a CCW permit. There is no minimum time of residency stipulated. Here is what it says:

(1) "Resident" means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

(2) "Picture identification" means:

(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license; or

(b) an official photographic identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or United States Department of State.

(3) "Proof of residence" means a person's current address on the original or certified copy of:

(a) a valid South Carolina driver's license;

(b) an official identification card issued by the Department of Revenue, a federal or state law enforcement agency, an agency of the United States Department of Defense, or United States Department of State;

(c) a voter registration card; or

(d) another document that SLED may determine that fulfills this requirement.

seems to be a very easy process in this state.

Much obliged for you researching. I can't find the site where I saw the one-year residency requirement. I did find some rather interesting information on another site. I thank Grassroots and its members for sticking up for our right to bear arms and for getting rid of some of those rediculous limitations in SC.

Here's just some of the changes that have been made in SC due to the workings of this group:

Grassroots GunRights was the driving force behind H.3010, which improved South Carolina CWP law by eliminating some of the ridiculous arbitrary restrictions that anti-gun lawmakers succeeded in placing in the 1996 South Carolina CWP law regarding the following activities:

carrying a weapon concealed or even to possess a weapon in your car while you are in any of our crime ridden interstate highway rest stops

entering a posted business while carrying a concealed weapon if the stores No CWP sign is hidden from plain sight or not visible from all entrances

carrying a concealed weapon while you are enjoying the natural beauty inside any South Carolina State Park

using the parking lot of a nice restaurants or public building if your weapon is stored in your vehicle

H.3010 also eliminated the one-year residency requirement for new CWP applicants and reduced the three 1X1 photos required for renewals and applications down to one reasonable size photo.

What was the point of even having a CCW with all these limitations?

That sucks about having to leave Chapel Hill. It's a really nice area. Glad to see that SC is going to change the laws.

If you need a gun friendly Realtor, PM or email me.

yes.. if you obtain a SC Drivers license you are a resident. Thats the only requirement. If you own property in the state of SC you can apply for a Non resident permit. You have some forms to fill out to get that which includes property tax receipts.

This next part is new....

Also new in SC is they have removed the requirement to retreat (corrected term on edit). Well... within a set standard of circumstances. You can stand your ground under certain conditions.

Some of these new adaptations are not on the SLED site yet. They will be soon.

Reason I know is that I just took the course today. Just got back. And these were just relayed to the instructors in the last few weeks. Look for an update very soon on SLED's Site. Even though these laws were passed 6 months ago they are not posted as of yet.

If anyone needs the exact verbage, I have some of it (or at least a version of it) but until its posted it may change by a word or two.
    Last edited by cphilip; November 11th, 2006 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    yes.. if you obtain a SC Drivers license you are a resident. Thats the only requirement. If you own property in the state of SC you can apply for a Non resident permit. You have some forms to fill out to get that which includes property tax receipts.

This next part is new....

Also new in SC is they have removed the requirement to flee. Well... within a set standard of circumstances. You can stand your ground under certain conditions.

Some of these new adaptations are not on the SLED site yet. They will be soon.

Reason I know is that I just took the course today. Just got back. And these were just relayed to the instructors in the last few weeks. Look for an update very soon on SLED's Site. Even though these laws were passed 6 months ago they are not posted as of yet.

If anyone needs the exact verbage, I have some of it (or at least a version of it) but until its posted it may change by a word or two.

Non-residents also have to take the 8 hour class by a SC certified instructor.

I am going to check into the "flee" situation tonight while I am doing my ride-along.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I should have used the term "retreat" but... Well this is what I have... now mind you some of the exact way its going to appear is subject to change. But this is what was given to the CWP Instructors to start teaching.

In 2006 the South Carolina Legislature passed a Castle Doctrine Bill called the Protection of Persons and Properties Act. This act provides that there is NO DUTY to retreat if:

The person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person's place of business

The person is not engaged in an unlawful activity

The use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime.

Then later I have this tidbit:

Defense of property

Modern authority limits deadly force in defense of a dwelling to situations when deadly force would be authorized by the law of self defense. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in a place he has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and meet force with force. A person who unlawfully enters or attempts to enter a persons dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is PRESUMED to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act.

Take that with a grain of salt until they actually publish the real version... and be carefull to apply all the other points of determination of use of deadly force and the requirements to meet the criteria of "self defense" into account before applying any of that because those parts do not change. But thats the story we got today.
    Last edited by cphilip; November 11th, 2006 at 09:07 PM.

Just wish they were a state that reciprocated with FL. The only southern state that doesn't.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

There are some issues with the things Florida allows that SC does not want to recognize. However I suspect they will work it out. The law sort of encourages it. Hopefully they will work it out soon. SC has made a little progress lately. So keep up the pressure.

I sure hope you are right....
    General George Patton

... I may be remembering this wrong... but if I recall correctly

Florida allows a restoration of rights through some other alternate process besides a pardon. And that was one

And does Florida also include things like knives and such as "concealed weapons"? Because SC only includes firearms of 12" or less as "concealed weapons".

I think it was some such problems. The first one mainly I think. Or I could be confusing it with some other state to state issue.

yes, but just like any other state I carry in I still have to abide by their carry laws. I just see why they don't allow it like other states do. There are some kind of restoration proceses but not real familiar with them...
    General George Patton

Well obey is one thing... who its issued to is another. For instance, if I am correct, then SC might be concerned that some of these people that have your permit are not trustworthy to have one. And since you do not distinguish the permit, one from another, they cannot tell by looking at them which is which. So they have no choice but to deny them all least the few "undesirable ones" get accepted. So if your state gives back gun rights to convicted felons through some process besides a pardon (which restores all rights) then these might not be agreeable to SC to accept. So they then have to deny all of them because they cannot tell em apart.

Now if, for example, the "restored rights" ones were yellow and all regular ones blue, then they could. But they aren't.

That is, if thats the case, which I recall something along those lines. But I could be confusing the state involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links