Talking up our gun rights

This is a discussion on Talking up our gun rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Background: Been the active chair of a local watershed group, monitoring our trout stream's chemical and bug parameters. Two of us are politically conservative, and ...

Thread: Talking up our gun rights

Background: Been the active chair of a local watershed group, monitoring our trout stream's chemical and bug parameters. Two of us are politically conservative, and the rest of the group nine gals and guys are not. We usually go out for breakfast afterward.

Incident: Today the conversation about the elections was brought up by the liberals (who were close to effervescence). My buddy (who alone knows I carry) was free enough to state his opinion of his distress at the looming possiblity of a political gun-grab. Following that was the normal rant in reply about automatic assult weapons and that the world would be safer if all guns -- including handguns -- were illegal. Breakfast was hard to keep down. But the facts were brought to the table between the two of us, to which the only counter was, "Oh! I wish I had MY statistics with me!" Well, we assured her that the FBI data we stated were the facts.

But to make it personal we gave scenarios where it would be to their advantage to protect themselves, referencing some of the incidents this board has reported where after 911 calls, it took for-ev-er for the police to arrive. It ended with their mouths being silenced which the arguements we gave to enforce the current gun laws. What seemed to be most persuasive was, "Look, I realize you don't like guns. Fine. You don't have to protect yourself. Just don't take away my right to let me protect myself, my family, and maybe even you, should the situation ever arise."

Got some traction with the fact that an armed society is the best defense against attempts to over-throw our way of life, both foreign and domestic. But it seems these folks seem to live in the here-and-now and are not forward thinking...or historically savy for that matter.

Guys, we're in a fight which just got worse. We need to get the truth out if we expect to hold the ground we have. (I plan on inviting these folks out to the range for a "get to know a gun day.")

---Jeff

Jeff,

Good job on helping some folks understand. Education may be one of the biggest weapons we use over the next few years. You may be one of the first since 11/7 but many are sure to be in your shoes. Good job.
    -Coug
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

You're Preaching To The Choir Here...

I have decided to work another year or two(after 7 years of retirement)...in a school! You can't imagine a bigger group of liberals, with their 'collective' heads in the sand.

They truly believe the world would be safer without guns, and that 911 will save everyone ...excuse me while I go puke...

OK...I'm back...

It's an uphill battle. I have the respect of the my fellow educators (and I respect/understand their individual feelings), if only because of my 'aged experience' and jovial attitude...but, I am very careful of how much I dare to debate...

I do leave 'food for thought' once in a while! Recently, I believe, I did convert one 'anti'...

I tread carefully...one at a time...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I made an Anti look at me with a perplexed look and say "You have a good point" . When the firearm discussion came up , and how they were mentioning that schools will be alot safer without guns , I replied to with " Why do we used armored vehicles and trained and armed guards to protect our money , but the same for our children is unreasonable " . I cant take credit for it , i think i read that somewhere else , but its makes alot of sense .
    Last edited by speedlinehobbies; November 11th, 2006 at 02:22 PM.
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Background: these folks seem to live in the here-and-now and are not forward thinking...or historically savy for that matter.
    In my experience, which is considerable on this issue, you hit the nail right on the head. The have been out of the battle so long that they think of it as something that could never happen to them, except from an armed criminal, who they intend to promptly disarm through legislation. As if that is even a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    (I plan on inviting these folks out to the range for a "get to know a gun day.")
    If they are wiling, that is the best way to convert them, short of them being attacked by a criminal, which might really wake them up if they survive it. Let's hope that doesn't happen though.

It's definately going to be a tough fight. After closely observing the last election cycle, I am convinced that the news media are not even trying to appear to be unbiased anymore. I think they see their only mission as countering the right wingers on radio. The left wingers have truly become masters of shaping public opinion, and it flat scares me. Goebbles has nothing on these folks. I am truly concerned as to whether or not we can beat the left wing media machine henceforth.

Good job, keep up the firearms evangalism.
    Last edited by sgtD; November 11th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Great point about that money/children comparison...it can perverted into we need armed guards at the schools and no one else should have guns....but it's still a great argument-- the proof is in the pudding on that one:

You got an anti to pause for a minute.

You eat and elephant one bite at a time....

Links