Just received CCW today!

Just received CCW today!

This is a discussion on Just received CCW today! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns and look forward to carrying in the waistband once I figure out exactly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just received CCW today!

Just received CCW today!

It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns and look forward to carrying in the waistband once I figure out exactly where to want to place it.

This may be a dumb question but should I practice carrying it loaded or unloaded?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No dumb questions, I am fairly new cc. Read the manual about 10 times, keep your finger off the trigger always, unless you are ready to fire. Also some IWB holsters are not made to re holster while tucked, so be cautious.

My owb has a trigger guard/block built in so the trigger can't be touched while holstered. (They have a rating/grading system for different kinds of holster guards/snaps that the name of has left my mind at this time). This holster enables you to draw and holster without any worries. I also have a thumb safety. I'm a heavy guy and this holster holds it tight to my body. Never even been looked at that I know of.

Let me tell you how nervous I was when I got mine in Dec 2012. (you can carry in your vehicle in FL without a permit within certain rules)
    was so odd the 1st 2 days it was locked in my trunk locked in it's case, then I moved it to my center console with a full mag but empty chamber. Then I decided to chamber a round after a few more days. Finally, while I was waiting for permit I carried in the house locked and loaded on weekends. Wife and daughter never knew I was doing it. (Carry a 40 FS with OWB) When permit came it was as natural as could be when I walked out the door the 1st time.

An unloaded gun is a rock!
    Good luck and be safe!
    IMG_0007-001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by parkschr View Post
    It took 45 days to receive it. I am new to guns and look forward to carrying in the waistband once I figure out exactly where to want to place it.

This may be a dumb question but should I practice carrying it loaded or unloaded?

Last edited by ginzo; April 20th, 2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add jpeg

I would practice carrying it 'unloaded'...IF...the dirtbags in your area are only 'practicing' robbing people.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    YES, carry it loaded at all times!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    If you're carrying, it is no longer practice.

If you are simply trying to "feel" which is most comfortable, around the house is fine loaded or otherwise.
    Eventually you will carry with the weapon ready to fire; so you may as well start now.
    As already stated, a unloaded gun is pretty much useless.

Regardless of the type of pistol you are carrying, be sure you are fully ready to deploy the weapon and fire..This is what gun ranges are for.

A possible difficulty in your mind may arise when you carry "hot" (i.e) ready to fire by simply pulling the trigger.
    A few people do not carry with one in the chamber. I did not for a week.
    You didn't mention what type of gun you have.

My carry weapon is a Glock..no manual on/off safety. So if I have one chambered, all I need to do is draw and pull the trigger.
    I was uncomfortable with this for a few days...Now I don't worry about it at all.

Be safe. Never let your guard down and never get complacent.

Congrats on your CCW.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

You don't need to carry unloaded. Start out with nothing in the pipe. What's you carry weapon? I EDC a S&W m&p 9c. Without a safety. I keep it chambered always on my person. But it is a striker fire. (No visible/protruding hammer)On the other hand my weekend carry is a 1911 (standard protuding hammer) . That one took me a little while to get comfortable carrying that chambered but once I got used to that particular firearm and studied it like the back of my hand, I now carry it locked and loaded. Hey, there's no rush. Get comfortable. Once you chose your carry position practice by putting yourself in everyday scenarios while wearing your piece. ie. Reaching, bending over, rolling over. Whatever may be common for your daily activities. You'll find your niche, and learn to accept it as a new limb. Welcome aboard and stay safe.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

I just received my CHL (Texas) about two weeks ago. I am new to guns also. I had a friend take me to a range and i shot his guns first. Decided that i liked it, and bought one . Then took a decent beginners class. Then the CHL class. Now after about 10 hours of range time i am pretty sure i can handle my gun fairly accurately and safely. The next step I would like, is to take an intermediate defensive course. Between the course fee and ammo i am looking at $250. What can i say, that's a bit of change, but i have the bug.

To answer your question. If I am at home. Practicing drawing from the holster, it would BE UNLOADED (Checked & Double Checked). If not doing that it is loaded, with one in chamber. My gun has a manual safety, plus a Glock like trigger safety.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    congrats! and always practice unloaded until you feel comfortable enough. once you feel comfortable enough then practice loaded at home before going out with it.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I have a lc9 I hope to carry iwb once I figure the location

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar

Welcome to the club...been a member since 1988.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would practice carrying it 'unloaded'...IF...the dirtbags in your area are only 'practicing' robbing people.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    YES, carry it loaded at all times!
    There ya' go, now that's good advice right there!
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Congrats!

I have a lc9 I hope to carry iwb once I figure the location

I stand by my crossbreed supertuck. I have one for every pistol.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I stand by my crossbreed supertuck. I have one for every pistol.
    Ditto, I love mine

Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new permit.

To be honest, you should have already been practicing carrying around the house, to get use to the feel. You've already put yourself a month and a half behind the curve. I'd recommend practicing carry with it loaded, that way you get the feel of what everyday carry will be. Depending on caliber and round count, there can be a significant difference in empty weight and carry weight.

Carry position is something you will need to play with to find what works best for you. If your right handed 3:30-4:30 is a good starting point, left handed 7:30-8:30. A good quality holster and just as important (if not more so) a good quality gun belt, to support your gun, will make a world of difference in comfort and how it carries.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links